ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Console/wheel recommendations

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've been researching this for about 9 months, decided to wait on the new x box release and just buy a cheaper play seat, I know I would regret the steering wheel stand idea, just not comfy for me. Quite excited about setting it up, I have some space to use so seems perfect idea!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've been researching this for about 9 months, decided to wait on the new x box release and just buy a cheaper play seat, I know I would regret the steering wheel stand idea, just not comfy for me. Quite excited about setting it up, I have some space to use so seems perfect idea!
I'd go the playseat route - based purely on two assumptions. One, you have the space to use it/store it. And two, that you're going to actually play racing games a fair bit.

The biggest single issue that you have with a stand is with any form of decent braking setup - be that with dampened springs or increased stiffness of PU rods. If you like 'feel' from the middle pedal - you'll end up pushing you and your seat back with using a stand. You need the rigidity that a playseat offers.

That aside - if you can accommodate a playseat and justify the number of times that you'll use it for the expense - they are literally game changers. The involvement and smooth inputs you can achieve via a wheel and pedal set, makes using a pad as tactile as playing chess with house-bricks for hands.

Personally, you could do a lot worse than with one of these.... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/next...for-racing-simulators-nlr-s010-gc-03q-nr.html

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
Logitech G29 wheel and Playseat challenge you can't go wrong.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers gents. I play most games but racing games I've always enjoyed with enough time.

I've played on this rig so many times...

7788-Cobra-Simluation.jpg

I really miss the buzz of it. Alex the owner of the company Introduced me to it over 10 years ago and I've always loved getting back in a seat and pedals. Now I have some space to be able to use it, seems a good idea.

As I said in another thread. If you had a seat, pedals and VR to an extent. It really would give you the sensation of driving to a point. Especially the lack of vision from the helmet. Looking at a screen is much easier!

Anyway it doesn't seem expensive to set up barring the console. I already have a one X so will research these seats and the g29 seems to be the ones that comes up all the time.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyway it doesn't seem expensive to set up barring the console. I already have a one X so will research these seats and the g29 seems to be the ones that comes up all the time.
The G29 will be for the PlayStation/PC mate - it will be the G920 you'll be after for the XBox/PC. They are identical apart from the button presets.

The G29 on the left - which is the only one of the two that comes with a set of rev lights and the G920 for the XBox to the right.

1585745456550.png

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
The one thing I'm struggling to click with, is the lack of sensation when the grip is almost lost. Opposite lock / maintaining a slide is something I'm very good at IRL.

The G29 will be for the PlayStation/PC mate - it will be the G920 you'll be after for the XBox/PC. They are identical apart from the button presets.

The G29 on the left - which is the only one of the two that comes with a set of rev lights and the G920 for the XBox to the right.

View attachment 1462753

Jealous of those shift lights!

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
So I've just bought a new G29 with shifter as my wheel gave up after 3 years of service.
(Argos have a deal G29 with shifter for £190)

Has anyone bought an adapter for the shifter to fit with a playseat challenge?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Got a G920 today and a stand, the stand is very good for the money. Exactly the same as the gt omega stuff but a lot cheaper.

Plugged the wheel in and started on Forza 7, out the box settings I thought were horrific. The brake pedal I thought was stupidly stiff, but i got used to it. The fact its gear driven is noticeable and I dont think it's that smooth. Just feels a bit inconsistent to me as well.

Messed about with the settings on Forza and feels better now, but still needs alot more fiddling. Interested to see other peoples settings if they use it on Forza. By contrast I jumped on PC2 and out of the box it felt alot better to use! When the pc is built then I will move to better sims and hopefully it will be better.

If your on a budget then go for it, but if you can get a belt driven setup, I think it would be waaay better.
IMG-20200415-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20200415-WA0026.jpeg

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Got a G920 today and a stand, the stand is very good for the money. Exactly the same as the gt omega stuff but a lot cheaper.

Plugged the wheel in and started on Forza 7, out the box settings I thought were horrific. The brake pedal I thought was stupidly stiff, but i got used to it. The fact its gear driven is noticeable and I dont think it's that smooth. Just feels a bit inconsistent to me as well.

Messed about with the settings on Forza and feels better now, but still needs alot more fiddling. Interested to see other peoples settings if they use it on Forza. By contrast I jumped on PC2 and out of the box it felt alot better to use! When the pc is built then I will move to better sims and hopefully it will be better.

If your on a budget then go for it, but if you can get a belt driven setup, I think it would be waaay better.View attachment 1466497View attachment 1466498
I’ve only tried the demo of Forza, but I found without messing with the steering settings it was undrivable, only had to breath on the steering and it was off the road. Stand looks exactly like mine, is it the x rocker? I got mine from Argos for £50. I got the chair to match too from AO for £120

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve only tried the demo of Forza, but I found without messing with the steering settings it was undrivable, only had to breath on the steering and it was off the road. Stand looks exactly like mine, is it the x rocker? I got mine from Argos for £50. I got the chair to match too from AO for £120

Xrocker it is, they bumped up the price then as it was 70 for me :( I do want the chair it was 150 I think on xrocker but out of stock sadly :(

I need more time with the wheel and different games , but think I may upgrade to fanatec wait and see.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Xrocker it is, they bumped up the price then as it was 70 for me :( I do want the chair it was 150 I think on xrocker but out of stock sadly :(

I need more time with the wheel and different games , but think I may upgrade to fanatec wait and see.
Yep just checked they put the price back up, and AO are oos of the seats now too :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If your on a budget then go for it, but if you can get a belt driven setup, I think it would be waaay better.

Belt driven can be a bit hit & miss also - especially if you're into endurance races. Heat build-up can start to see (and feel) the belt slipping and make your sun-baked car on track at Laguna Seca, behave like you're racing on the ices fields of Siberia. My nephew had that quite badly with his Fanatec wheel for which they wanted it sent back with a video of proof. Let it cool down and all was good again... for a while.

From what I can gather, cooling the units with optional fans does help a lot. A bit like a nod-back to those days where they had laptop docks with cooling fans in them.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted two more M6 bolts to my frame yesterday as I saw a small section of the base support tray move up under braking. Can't have that. :p

Also went around the frame with a ratchet to nip up any loose bolts. With the frame I'm using being collapsable, over time fittings do tend to start slackening off.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
What price does the G920 usually go down to on offer. £270 at the minute seems a bit much maybe about £200 would be better. Probably get a fold up play seat challenge to go with it. Not in a hurry but going to keep an eye out for a price drop.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
What price does the G920 usually go down to on offer. £270 at the minute seems a bit much maybe about £200 would be better. Probably get a fold up play seat challenge to go with it. Not in a hurry but going to keep an eye out for a price drop.
I bought mine off Facebook marketplace, wheel, pedals, gearstick, and stand, for £125

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I bought mine off Facebook marketplace, wheel, pedals, gearstick, and stand, for £125

Bargain! I always feel wary buying second hand stuff but might have to look that route seen as it'll probably get abused by my son anyway.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Bargain! I always feel wary buying second hand stuff but might have to look that route seen as it'll probably get abused by my son anyway.
There were loads around that kind of money but without the stand around the time, but just had a quick look on there and everything is £200+ now, this lockdown and increased the price of a lot of stuff!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Been doing a lot of driving.. sometimes under the influence recently.

IMG_20200429_152054.jpg

Bought it all from Argüs end of last year sometime.

Enjoyed Forza M.6 as I found that for £6 at Game pre-owned..

Now got Project Cars on the go. Was a tenner on the Xbox store a couple weeks ago.

Loving it !!

Need a seat tho...

BMW 330ci
I managed to get the G29 with a PS4 500gb for £250 off Shpock. Came with the gearstick and 5 games. Mate at work gave me GT so been playing that mostly. And did have a PS4 before which I sold, and purchased project cars. So I’ve downloaded that. Also just purchased F1 2019, only £12.99 at the minute.

Got an xrocker fold away seat from Argos. Similar design to playseat but only £114.

Set up is great tbf, really enjoying playing the games with the wheel and seat.

Definitely some bargains on the second hand market.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Been doing a lot of driving.. sometimes under the influence recently.

View attachment 1470576

Bought it all from Argüs end of last year sometime.

Enjoyed Forza M.6 as I found that for £6 at Game pre-owned..

Now got Project Cars on the go. Was a tenner on the Xbox store a couple weeks ago.

Loving it !!

Need a seat tho...

Pretty sure Project Cars 2 is free on Xbox at the moment.

EDIT - My bad, it’s changed again today because it’s a new month. V-Rally 4 is on it now though.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure Project Cars 2 is free on Xbox at the moment.

EDIT - My bad, it’s changed again today because it’s a new month. V-Rally 4 is on it now though.

I picked it up for £6 on Amazon, but my mate paid £50 for the download on XBL by mistake.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There were loads around that kind of money but without the stand around the time, but just had a quick look on there and everything is £200+ now, this lockdown and increased the price of a lot of stuff!
Does seem to be affecting the prices a fair bit! Got my G920 2nd hand for £150 and it had hardly been used.

People being kept in is bumping up the demand, clearly.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Just upgraded to the Fanatec CSL elite from my Logitech G29 and there’s quite a big difference, makes the Logitech feel like a toy in comparison, need to get a round wheel for it too so I can switch (quick release) between the two depending what I’m driving.

3FC1ED3A-1C5E-429A-9665-E54CBAA5F89F.jpeg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Just upgraded to the Fanatec CSL elite from my Logitech G29 and there’s quite a big difference, makes the Logitech feel like a toy in comparison, need to get a round wheel for it too so I can switch (quick release) between the two depending what I’m driving.

View attachment 1495958

I was thinking about doing the same, i don't really like the gear driven nature of the G29 and hoping the belt driven Fanatec would be better!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1495958
The only thing that puts me off with Fanatec is that the customer service is absolute toilet - which is more surprising given that they are a German firm.

Hopefully the build quality will see you through and that you never have to speak to them directly!

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
The only thing that puts me off with Fanatec is that the customer service is absolute toilet - which is more surprising given that they are a German firm.

Hopefully the build quality will see you through and that you never have to speak to them directly!
I bought used anyway (3 months old) and I dont think their guarantee is transferable. If it breaks I'll fix it myself.