ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Constant squealing brakes

ex Clio 172 owner :(

I posted this on the Saxo group a while back and, as ever, got very little help. Possibly because I didnt type it in text message style typing.

A few weeks ago I whacked the passenger front wheel on a kerb (wheel hit kerb at about 45 degree angle). Off and on theres been a squealing noise coming from it. Took wheel and caliper off but cant see problem. Noise seemed to stop. Last night and all of today, noise come back with a vengeance.
I can be driving along doing 30 and itll suddenly start squealing. It stops when car stops and doesnt always start up again when I move off. Changing gear, cornering or even doing nothing sets it off. It seems to stop when Im doing about 40.
Any suggestions please? Nothing obvious wrong, discs and pads look ok but its weird the way the noise just suddenly started last night and now is doing it pretty much all the time.

That was a wee while ago, after that, I took brakes apart and put loads of copper grease all over them and problem seemed to go away but its returned and keeps doing it all the time. I need the car and cant afford to have the brakes over heat and break.

I can try the copper grease thing again but its dark and I need car for work tomorrow so Ill have to take it easy until the weekend.

Im sick and tired of listening out for squealing and the problem needs a proper fix.

(I took it into ATS a while back and they said itll need new discs!)

Any suggestions? Cheers. (bear in mind this is a Suxo not a Clio)

Titanium 182

hmm very strange

maybee you could have bent the disc ever so slightly. at the point that hit when the wheel hit

when i had std discs on vtr i had a hard night of heavy braking then seemed to be having simlar problems

i bought a big disc coversion and it went away

really annoying isnt it

iv got an anoying rattle in the clio atm :(

Rattles, squeaks, I hate em, never seem to want to do it when you take it to a garage...

Thanks for the reply.... Id replace the discs and pads but Im skint, plus I need a new TV....

Cheers.

Well when you put it like that..

No, they seem ok when braking hard, just got me baffled. Ive just done a round trip of 25 miles to drop my lass off at her Christmas party, never squealed once, yet 2 hours earlier doing it all the time. Got to pick her up at midnight.. I reckon its got something to do with them being hot. Though they do squeal when theyre just warm sometimes.

Thanks for your responses, Ill try the copper grease again on Saturday, failing that, take it to a garage...

Cheers.

you could of done anything from a damaged disc, bent hub/caliper carrier, damaged wheel bearings etc etc.

JUst an idea I tried. As you are driving along just do a little left foot braking. Put a small amount of pressure on the pedal and see if the squealing stops. If it does its probably dust etc on brakes caliper..use a copperslip grease on sliders of caliper..its likely thet they are not backing offthe disc. Also by putting this pressure on you will feel the pedal pulsing if the disc is warped..

Cheers

Frank

Cheers for that Ill give it a go. It didnt do it today at all. Thats the annoying thing, if it did it all the time fair enough take it into a garage and theyll fix it but its doing it when it feels like annoying me. Gobnna grease em up tomorrow regardless whether its doing it or not. Thanks again.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

is there anything on the disc surface.a small amount of grease from a leaking driveshaft gaitor perhaps?