ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Converting from 1.8 to 2.0 bottom end

BMW 320d Sport

Great answers! That makes more sense now. So in other words then, the Willy pistons have more clearance than the 16v ones to allow for the extra stroke. So the Willy cam is the one to look for.

i dont think the pistons themselves have more clearance (unless tehre are larger valve cutouts) as they come flush with the block face like the 16V, but the overal working of teh 2ltr allows more lift.....but then again, like i said, is teh timing exactly the same and what are the ramp angles like?

BMW 320d Sport

If you compare two Piper Cams with each other for the 16v and Williams it looks very similar, everything except the lift eg. Piper 285

Power band Power Duration Valve lift Timing Full lift

16v 2500-7300 18bhp 276/276 10.87/10.87 32-64/64-32 106/106

Willy 2500-7300 18bhp 276/276 11.38/10.87 32-64/64-32 106/106

On the hotter cams which need solid lifters, duration and timing and lift are identical. The milder 270 cams have different lift on both sets of valves.

BMW 320d Sport

Right, next question: engine management...

What exactly is the difference between the 16v and Williams ECU? The current plan is to send off my 16v Stage 2 ECU to Hill Power to have it swapped over for a Williams Stage 2 ECU. But Im interested in what makes one different from the other. Mainly cos Im toying with the idea of running it all on a Unichip which would mean I could use a totally bog standard 16v ECU and use the Unichip to custom map the whole thing on the rollers. Then sell my Stage 2 head, cams & ECU complete which would bring me in a bit of money to pay for all this work!

Nick The main differences are in the chip to set fueling ignition etc . Runing a unichip will have basically the same effect. I have a second hand Dastek unichip and wiring for sale that we took of a clio. Give me a ring make me an offer.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

how much for installing a lumenition ECU Nick? Does it come with a basic map to get you started or is done from scratch?

BMW 320d Sport

OK Ill give you a ring Nick, in the next couple of days. It looks like I might be onto Plan B now, involving your Willy head and a standard ECU...