ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2003 M3

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Quick clean this morning
3BM (because 3 is better than 2) and a quick vacuum on the inside
10929210_10153163840796917_1763989529635620833_n.jpg

10527260_10153163840876917_7002487041222364347_n.jpg

First time I've cleaned it since I've owned it (2 and a bit weeks)
Can see where the paint needs a bit of attention now at least.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh the wheels were pretty shiny close up when I was cleaning them, they just aren't the gangster mirror polish as standard
Also the previous owner has clearly waxed the thing constantly, even the wheels were beading

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Long overdue update. Done just under 8,000 miles and had it's first service since I've owned it.
I think most things are currently broken. Had a slight oil leak which was discovered to be coming from the timing chain tensioner. Bolt was finger tight, so bullet dodged there.

Stuff done today:
- MOT (needed 2 new indicator bulbs and new number plate bulbs)
- Oil service
- Fix oil leak/tighten bolt

Service and MOT threw up the following stuff still needing to be done:
- Rear tyres need replacing soon (3mm left on both)
- Very small (apparently) oil leak from engine rocker cover gasket. Think this is an insp. 2 job, but it's a way off so I'll probably see about sorting this sooner.
- Slight play in both inner tie rods (MOT advisory)
- Offside rear driveshaft weeping grease (think it's got a boot over it, need to have a look at this - MOT advisory)
- M Mobility canister out of date (2006) - I honestly don't know why that's still in the boot, will remove to save some weight. I have RAC membership, they can tow me if I breakdown.
- Both engine aux belts cracked
- Rear exhaust box clamps corroded (it's a 12 year old car)
- Oh and the rear floor pan possibly cracked. I couldn't face having this inspected today, I go on holiday in a month and I don't want a 1500 quid bill right now. The tech said he doesn't think it's anything to worry about quite yet, just wants to take a closer look (for 50 quid inc scraping off the wax underproofing)

So yeah, I love the car, but f**k me I wanted to set it on fire when he started reading out the advisories over the phone.

Ouch, shame that. Could definitely be worse, vanos could have been on its way out and a HGF, but still little jobs add up on cars like these.

What tyres are you going for?

Depends on the car really though, sometimes you have bad luck, other times not. You could buy a Clio and the cambelt needs changing, then the gearbox starts whining, standard exhaust system rots away and then £1,000+ is already gone and people are saying why did you buy a French car.

If I were in the market for an M3 I'd chuck as much as I could at it, get one with reinforced subframe, recent insp 2, new brakes and tyres etc, manual gearbox and then there's a lot less to go wrong.

Or, do what I did and buy one silly cheap and expect it to go wrong, so if it doesn't then you're happy.

Who have you got doing the work Cookie? An indie?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the car really though, sometimes you have bad luck, other times not. You could buy a Clio and the cambelt needs changing, then the gearbox starts whining, standard exhaust system rots away and then £1,000+ is already gone and people are saying why did you buy a French car.

If I were in the market for an M3 I'd chuck as much as I could at it, get one with reinforced subframe, recent insp 2, new brakes and tyres etc, manual gearbox and then there's a lot less to go wrong.

Or, do what I did and buy one silly cheap and expect it to go wrong, so if it doesn't then you're happy.

Who have you got doing the work Cookie? An indie?
PMW in Chelmsford did the service, oil leak and MOT

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch on the subframe and list...

This is why i steered clear of m3's unfortunately, too many poor ones about now

Im sure you will get it back to its best though!

With the exhaust clamps, I think people either replace them with clamps off a Peugeot (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301690429365) or some "Talkwrench" ones which will outlast the car but cost £100+ for a full set.

If you're after any genuine BMW parts then BMW Cotsworld do discount for any members of M3Cutters (not sure if you're already a member on there or not).

I think complete trackrods can be had for about £100 per side from Euro car parts (Lemforder I believe).

Sorry if you already know all this, just I was looking at doing a few similar jobs until I checked through my paperwork.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Bar the possible subframe issues that's just typical car s**t. Hardly anything to worry about.
Indeed. It's a 12 year old car with 75k, I'd be very surprised if it didn't start needing it's suspension refreshed
@JackD - Yep complete track rods are 94 quid each from Euros
Aux belts are 12 quid
Rocker cover gasket appears to be 60 quid

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Indeed. It's a 12 year old car with 75k, I'd be very surprised if it didn't start needing it's suspension refreshed
@JackD - Yep complete track rods are 94 quid each from Euros
Aux belts are 12 quid
Rocker cover gasket appears to be 60 quid

Pennies then.

Listerine & Poledo
'ere, @Cookie . It's gonna cost Rob $1600 US to insure an MChaviot in Italy.

I rofl'd hard....then it was said how a 106 rallye cost $1000 US.

Bloody hell

Listerine & Poledo
Italy, Ex-pat.
reasons.

I still forsee me needing a holiday in Italy to identify the body after he drops it off of the side of the cliff in the snow.

Still, he was thinking of a Clio! so at least it's not that bad