ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport springs and Cup shocks VS Coilovers for a daily driver advice?

Titanium 182 FF
Currently can't decide what option to go with between Cooksport springs and Cup shocks, or £500 ish coilovers for my 182 daily..

Cooksports:
Pros: cheaper, highly rated, not too low for daily
Cons: Maybe not low enough (especially considering I might get 15s, which might look lost in the arches), heard they can be crashy

Coilovers (Vmaxx maybe):
Pros: dem lows. (make future 15s look better)
Cons: expensive, could be impractical for daily

I probably wont be doing any track days in the near future so Vmaxx type coilovers should be sufficient enough.. Anyone got experiences from owning either/both setups?

cheers

Titanium 182 FF
problem is I'm thinking a lot of people say cooksports have a pretty hard ride/can be crashy, so for a daily I could just get coilovers which would be a hard ride as well, but then I'd get the better looks out of it as well..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I cant really see why you would want to go lower than the cooksports really anyway, especially on a daily.

I'd take new cup shocks and a set of cooksports over cheap coilovers any day, in fact Ive just "upgraded" from cooksports to KW variant 2 on our RB182, and I cant really feel any difference on track between the two, which is a little disappointing given the cost difference but does show just how well the cooksport and cup shocks work.

still if the height is far more important to you than the ride or reliaiblity, then it HAS to be cheap coilovers for doing that on a budget.

Cooksports/Sportlines and standard dampers are better than cheapo Coilovers.

This..

I cant really see why you would want to go lower than the cooksports really anyway, especially on a daily.

I'd take new cup shocks and a set of cooksports over cheap coilovers any day, in fact Ive just "upgraded" from cooksports to KW variant 2 on our RB182, and I cant really feel any difference on track between the two, which is a little disappointing given the cost difference but does show just how well the cooksport and cup shocks work.

still if the height is far more important to you than the ride or reliaiblity, then it HAS to be cheap coilovers for doing that on a budget.

Chip how did you find the ride on cooksports?

Debating whether to change sportlines for cooksports. Heard mixed reviews on them being a bit harsh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This..

Chip how did you find the ride on cooksports?

Debating whether to change sportlines for cooksports. Heard mixed reviews on them being a bit harsh.

They are firm, but I didnt find them crashy, and personally I like a firm ride anyway.

Its such a subjective thing though that my opinion may be very different to yours.

Titanium 182 FF
Nope. Cooksports or Sportlines shouldn't be crashy at all.

Cooksports and cup shocks all the way. Tried and tested

cooksports and new dampers over coilovers imo, for a daily that is.

Cheers for the advice guys- I was leaning more towards cooksports anyway but keep seeing nice looking clios on coilovers which is not helping the situation...

I have a cup pack 182 so if I put the cooksports on would I need new cup shocks? or would the current ones be fine?

cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It used to be. :eek:

It's still firm, but it doesn't crash over bumps any more.

If your car was crashing over bumps on eibachs, your shocks were knackered and no longer absorbing shocks, or your idea of "crashing" is very different to my own.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I went from cooksports with new top mounts and cup shocks to cooksports with Koni yellow adjustable shocks and solid top mounts. The improvement in ride was astounding.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I went from cooksports with new top mounts and cup shocks to cooksports with Koni yellow adjustable shocks and solid top mounts. The improvement in ride was astounding.

Would imagine your cup shocks were past their best then, as they shouldnt be bad enough for any other shock to make an astonishing difference to ride on the same cooksport spring.

I like the konis though, good option if you want adjustment rather than just the fit and forget cup ones.

Clio 182
I'm currently on coilovers with my cooksports in the post. Mine is a daily and I find it a bit harsh on the roads we have in the Highlands of Scotland or maybe I'm just getting old! I'll take before and after pics when it's done next week. Cheers

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Would imagine your cup shocks were past their best then, as they shouldnt be bad enough for any other shock to make an astonishing difference to ride on the same cooksport spring.

I like the konis though, good option if you want adjustment rather than just the fit and forget cup ones.

They were new ones. I didn't say the ride on the cup shocks was bad, far from it. The ride on the Konis is just better.

Yes, the damping adjustment is useful. All I'm lacking is height adjustment which would be nice to lower the front a bit more and raise the back a tad.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you loose any turn in feel with Cooksport's over std setup?

Its a mixed bag, because you are lowering it means that you adversely effect the roll centre, but because you are increasing the roll resistance as well, the net effect is little effect on turn in, if anything I would say it felt slightly improved TBH.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They were new ones. I didn't say the ride on the cup shocks was bad, far from it. The ride on the Konis is just better.

Where you said:
The improvement in ride was astounding
I just didnt see how there could be *that* much improvement over good working cup shocks as they work so well anyway, but I guess we are all different in what we consider astounding or not so I probably just read it in the wrong context based on what I would consider an "astounding difference", thanks for clarifying.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Where you said:

I just didnt see how there could be *that* much improvement over good working cup shocks as they work so well anyway, but I guess we are all different in what we consider astounding or not so I probably just read it in the wrong context based on what I would consider an "astounding difference", thanks for clarifying.

It's ok, I see what you mean :)

It was astounding that on the road it felt more compliant but on track there was noticbly less roll. Of course being able to tweak the damping helps with that.

I suppose if you consider the cost of Cooksports + Konis you could get Konigsport coilovers for the same price, if not less, and have height adjustment with the same adjustable damper techonology.

Lancia Integrale
I group of us have only been running cup shocks and cooksports/eibachs on track and have been really impressed with this set up! I think eventually this set up will reach its limits (or our need for more lol) but I will only be swapping for "proper" coilovers ;)

E46 M3, Clio 182
I brought a set a coilovers for the 182 about a year ago now, I love the look of it and never push it near it's limit, but I think i'm going to be changing for some cooksports and some fresh shocks in the upcoming months!

Clio Sport 172
Im in the same boat, looking at cooksports, as I use it daily but ive only got a 172.
Would the standard shocks on mine be much worse than cups, or should I look into getting cup shocks?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Im in the same boat, looking at cooksports, as I use it daily but ive only got a 172.
Would the standard shocks on mine be much worse than cups, or should I look into getting cup shocks?

Ideally you should have cup shocks for the extra damping to go with the stiffer springs.

Clio Sport 172
And even with them, they'll soon enough piss oil out like any lowering springs fitted to the standard shocks.

If that was gonna be the case, what brand would you recommend I go for?
Or would I be better off just biting the bullet and spending a little more?