ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport Springs vs Eibach Sportlines??

RS Clio 182
I was just wondering how the cooksport springs compare to the eibach sportlines
as I'm looking to get a set of new springs on a standard 182..

Whats the handling like on both.. as Im really keen on improving the handling of this little go kart

What else is there to improve handling??

Also what springs do people on here recommend??

My first post btw after owning the car for a couple of months!!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion Sportlines offer better handling and a less harsh ride at low speed. For 100% handling I'd go with the Eibach offering.

Cooksports are also a very performant spring, however, they are a bit crashy at low speed, especially on broken surfaces. The reason I run them is because they offer more of a drop. Aesthetically they look the best in my opinion.

It's a trade-off I'm happy to make but I've also got the Sportlines to go back on as & when I want, plus standard Trophy springs when I come to sell.

Starting points would be good tyres, springs if you want, and a decent alignment, then just enjoy it for what it is - cheap, engaging fun!

RS Clio 182
Thanks Tim for that useful tip!

Sounds like id be going for the sportlines in that case as London roads are full of pot holes
and also prefer better handling!

Gona place an order hopefully later in tonight.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I don't find the Cooksports crashy. As an all round spring they are brilliant.

I fitted them originally with new cup shocks, I have since fitted Koni yellows which improved the ride further.

Standard shocks I feel would not give enough damping at the cup shocks were just about good enough.

With the Eibachs you would be ok with standard shocks.

172 cup
I don't find the Cooksports crashy. As an all round spring they are brilliant.

I fitted them originally with new cup shocks, I have since fitted Koni yellows which improved the ride further.

Standard shocks I feel would not give enough damping at the cup shocks were just about good enough.

With the Eibachs you would be ok with standard shocks.

+1 on this just fitted my cooksports and it offers a really nice drop and I don't find them bad to drive on (I do 250 miles a week) although I would say I need to change my front shocks as said but it can wait

FF Racing Blue 182
If you're looking for lows have a look at apex, that's what I've got on but they're back breaking then you get used to it.

Remember to get alignment done after it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anyone compared the two on track?

Yes, done dozens of trackdays in exactly the same car with the only difference being the springs.
The cooksports control body roll far better.

And although firmer I've not found them to be crashy when used with new cup shocks. I love the firm sporty feel to the ride on them, gives the 172/182 the sporty feel it slightly lacks as standard imho

Lancia Integrale
Yes, done dozens of trackdays in exactly the same car with the only difference being the springs.
The cooksports control body roll far better.

And although firmer I've not found them to be crashy when used with new cup shocks. I love the firm sporty feel to the ride on them, gives the 172/182 the sporty feel it slightly lacks as standard imho

brilliant cheers chip

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking for lows have a look at apex, that's what I've got on but they're back breaking then you get used to it.

Remember to get alignment done after it.

They are crap for renaultsports though, when cooksport give the perfect drop and don't ruin the handling..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, cooksports are great but not on potholed roads, I have gone from them to sportlines and the ride quality is much improved

however I feel the car handled (on decent roads) better on the cooksports and it also looked better.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
as above, cooksports are great but not on potholed roads, I have gone from them to sportlines and the ride quality is much improved

however I feel the car handled (on decent roads) better on the cooksports and it also looked better.

WRC suspension is about the only thing that will handle potholes and handle well, at about 4K a corner, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can't go wrong with either imo. Cooksports are the new rave on here and offer slightly lower ride height without compromising the handling.

The difference is almost exactly 10mm front and rear between the eibach and the cooksport from the measurements I took.

Monaco - 172
Sorry to bump a month old thread - But I just wondered how people found cook sports with some aggressive speed bumps? Is the drop too much that it scrapes? I work on a business park which has put tank traps in, so need to make sure I don't scrape when driving in. Cheers all

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah if you have a splitter and cooksports and are faced with a big speed bump you are likely to rub it.

I have rubbing issues with sportlines and splitter, only on stupidly large humps or multistory carpark ramps

Monaco - 172
So hopefully if I ride without a splitter I should be okay. Though I know it looks better with one!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Chip, Would the difference with sportlines be enough to not rub do you reckon? Currently i'm splitterless.

There is 10mm height difference and hence 10mm difference in what you rub on so if the speedbump is 5mm too high for cooksports it will be ok but if its 15mm too high then it will still be too high.