ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coolant gauge not functioning

'52 clio dci
Hi,

Just wondering if the 1.5 DCI engines are prone to coolant sensor faults? I just brought one and the coolant gauge doesn't move at all, im guessing its the sensor but what are the chances of the actual dial being faultly? Are there any common faults within this area?

cheers lee

'52 clio dci
Not at all?

not even after say 10 mins engine running?

nope the gauge doesn't move. The engine doesn't overheat or anything as I checked after leaving it standing for 20 minutes and there was a normal amount of pressure in the coolant system.

Im guessing its the sensor at fault, dial itself or maybe dreaded wiring! :(

anyone had this before?

cheers lee

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
if it was the sensor, then im thinking you would have some engine problems as well, such as very rough idle or it wont rev properly etc....

it may be the dial is broken.
Do you have a light lit up which looks like a heart monitor squiggly line thingy?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
there is a test you can do to test the dial....

turn the power on, but not start the engine, and hold in the button on the stalk or the trip reset button if you dont have the one on the right hand stalk.

it will start to flash the lights in the dash and move all the dials through the full rotation.

ps, if you join and pay £5 you can look in the guides section, where this trick, and what the codes mean are full expalined.

'52 clio dci
if it was the sensor, then im thinking you would have some engine problems as well, such as very rough idle or it wont rev properly etc....

it may be the dial is broken.
Do you have a light lit up which looks like a heart monitor squiggly line thingy?

hi,

no I don't have any lights lit to display an error. My old cars always used two sensors one for the ecu and one of the coolant display / dial. I was hoping it might be the same setup.

It runs perfectly by the way, from starting and power delivery.

cheers lee

Try this

Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.
When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults
t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds
J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.
d means an injection signal fault has been detected
h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.
Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.

see if the daisl move at all.

'52 clio dci
cheers for the advice. I just tried what you said and the gauge does move when running through the testing sequence, so i guess its a sensor fault.

Also a t code was displayed but it was followed by ----

Now the next question can anyone point me in the direction of the temperature sender?

cheers lee