ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant going and overheating at low speeds

Titanium 182 FF
My little 1.2 clio has been slowly loosing coolant for weeks but today whilst in a long drive thru (kfc typical) the car temp guage when through the roof and stop lights appeared. The coolant had turned dark and was bubbling.

This happened last week to but no stop lights. Had suggestions of head gasket failure or thermostat/water pump etc

Had an MOT recently and they said everything was fine and didnt mention any head gasket issues etc
Anyone got any ideas or know for definate?

:D

Clio 182 arctic
Sounds like a headgasket on what you have said, not that uncommon on the smaller engines. It may have been a fairly cheapish(few hundred) quid fix if you had spotted it sooner but there may significant engine damage if the engine has overheated. I assume you stopped the car when it told you to?

Titanium 182 FF
An mot is just a safety check, not a service. I does sound like a head gasket failure, but potentially only a water pump.

True youd hope they would of at least had a look! Well the overheating hadnt stopped the engine but the temperature is only rising when idling or moving at slow speeds and no mayo etc, so slowly ruling out the head gasket issue. However thats probably me just trying to convince myself its not haha

An mot tester can only check for what they're meant to. They aren't actually allowed to remove the lid from the oil cap ;)

You're more than welcome to drop it down here and I can give it the going over.

Titanium 182 FF
An mot tester can only check for what they're meant to. They aren't actually allowed to remove the lid from the oil cap ;)

You're more than welcome to drop it down here and I can give it the going over.

Where abouts you based? Its going in to the garage on friday