ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Copart CAT B 197....

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I was watching this - can't believe how much it went for! Anyone on here? Was hoping to bag it cheap for the seats lol

1a5fdd60-4063-4bba-9867-7b6a242ea25b.jpg
Clio1.png
clio3.png
clio4.png

Attachments

• clio2.png
    clio2.png
    972.2 KB · Views: 59
How much was it ?

iirc you can't buy bits from a Cat B car ? I sure wouldn't! I thought Cat B had to be scrapped ?

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
How much was it ?

iirc you can't buy bits from a Cat B car ? I sure wouldn't! I thought Cat B had to be scrapped ?
Around £800 hammer plus fees and VAT so over a grand and then transport costs. Conversely I saw a Cat B 250 Megane go for £150 the other week,

A Cat B shell can only be bought by someone with a Cat B license and a certificate of destruction for the shell must be provided in 30 days.

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Over a grand? I wonder what they saw in it?

Engine, gearbox, brakes, perhaps some of the exhaust? Maybe the cat if it's not been plucked off.
Body and interior look thrashed, slim pickings.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I wonder what they saw in it?
No idea, i'd assume the box was toast though after an impact like that, would have smashed the shaft back into the diff. If I could have got it for less than the resale value of the lump I might have give it a shot.

Some stuff on Copart lately is mental, I almost bought a Cat B Ultima Evo the other week but the reserve was crazy high and our bid didnt meet it!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'd think they' spend abit more and buy one that doesn't need thousands thrown at it to put it back on the road.

Well of course unless there's a freshly stolen one thats about to get a new identity.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That's a 200, sorry to be pedantic

These bring stupid prices in places like Poland and Switzerland as a Cat B over there will likely see the road again and be sold on closer to 10 grand because they give zero f***s
One of the guys in the office is from Poland and he's told me in the past just how expensive cars both new and 2nd hand can be over there. In particular, the difference between driving into Germany and buying what you're after from there instead.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
One of the guys in the office is from Poland and he's told me in the past just how expensive cars both new and 2nd hand can be over there. In particular, the difference between driving into Germany and buying what you're after from there instead.
Yep

One of the lads I work with is from Latvia, he has a W211 E320 Merc and he said over there it would cost him at least 10x what he bought it for over here. Prices in mainland Europe are ridiculous mainly due to LHD

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Why is it so expensive tho?

Especially if they can just go to Germany and pick it up cheaper.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
LHD cars are just expensive, the reason our cars are dirt cheap is because were the only country this side of the planet that use RHD cars

The reason they're cheaper in Germany is because they're all made there

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Why is it so expensive tho?

Especially if they can just go to Germany and pick it up cheaper.
He mentioned something about allocation as well.

So say you went to a Ford dealership over here, there would usually be 30+ cars there for you to wander around. Over there, there might be two or three. It seems strange that although the country borders the one where they are manufactured - that they are almost thrown the scraps of production quotas that have been left over.

Similarly, going years back when I was at uni, we had a language student from Russia staying with us for a few weeks. Back home, he had a Golf and walked straight into the local VW dealership ordering parts for it. I asked him if it was expensive and he said it was anything but, compared to the prices back in Russia. Strange.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
As above

There were 50 trophies made and sold for the market in SUI, whereas over here there were 500. The UK sees quite a lot of production whereas other countries probably see 10% of what cars we have over here

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
As far as I recall the bidder was UK based, or, his IP address was at least.

These was a Cat S LY Megane 225 went for close to a grand the other week too, that went to Belgium though.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've watched quite a few cars on copart, everything I've been remotely interested in has gone for silly money in my eyes, especially once factoring in the fees and vat, etc. Most cases you can find the same car on ebay/gumtree/facebook for similar money, without the commitment to buy without seeing.

There's a John Pye Auctions near me, so i check that out sometimes and have actually bid on a few cars. Never won anything mind. But quite often see the same cars back up for auction the following week.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
There's a John Pye Auctions near me, so i check that out sometimes and have actually bid on a few cars. Never won anything mind. But quite often see the same cars back up for auction the following week.

Bought, realised it was a turd and put it back on?