ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Copper slip on Spark Plug threads

Have my NGK Plugs coming tomorrow,

I've been googling copper grease on the plug threads and have come to the conclusion that im still confused, Lots of different answers.

Some say they swear by it, Some say the torque is different with grease on as a pose to dry torquing which is a fair point..

Im just wondering if its worth it, Just a smidge on the thread cant to any harm?

Also read about it stopping the thermal transfer to the plugs which i don't know if matters anyway.

Just interested.

corsa ecoflex
Ive always used a little smdge of copperslip on the plugs i do...i change about 6 sets a day in the garage and never had a problem

I changed my plugs a few weeks ago and didnt use any copper grease, remember to torque them up though to the correct setting

Debating weather too, I dont have a torque wrench at the moment,

Hearing from the knowledgeable people on here they need torquing so i will have to invest i guess.

Too risky just hand tight then a 1/6th turn? which ive read a few times ?

They defo need torquing or you run the risk of the spark plugs blowing out, alot of people go for hand tight then a little turn, imo thats no where near the correct torque needed, i used a torque wrench for mine and when fully torqued it was a hell of alot more than finger tight, but in the end its entirely up to you

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i only use a dab of copper slip if needed. Ive only recently started to torque plugs up as renault have only just sent us the kit.

I bought a preset torque wrench from ebay for spark plugs, only 15quid, come in 2 preset torque settings, 18nm and 24nm, i got the 24nm one

Copper slip will be fine, all this wrong torque b****cks.. Yea a rusty thread full of grit will change the torque, a dab of grease wont.

I normally grease them up and never ever had a problem.

Cheers guys, Will add a tiny bit of grease then, Can only see there being differences on bigger engines with more power.

Still debating on the torque thing though, Im wondering how many garages can be bothered to torque up the amount of spark plug changes they do.

Thats beside the point though isn't it, If im doing it myself i should do it right.

Sreriously torque them up, ask any tuner on here and i bet they say the same, forget what people say on torquing them up is a load of crap cos its not, they do!

Cheers guys, Will add a tiny bit of grease then, Can only see there being differences on bigger engines with more power.

Still debating on the torque thing though, Im wondering how many garages can be bothered to torque up the amount of spark plug changes they do.

Thats beside the point though isn't it, If im doing it myself i should do it right.

You would be suprised how many dont torque anything! Wheels, hubs etc I even worked with a guy who airgun'd heads down ROFL..

If it were me id get a torque wrench and do it properly.

CLIO PH1 172
if your doing them your self - dab of greese torque em up, least you know its done properly !

Will do chaps, This week have payments coming out of my ears and no money wanted the plugs in this week but ill have to wait for a torque wrench.

PH1 172 Sport
Most cheap torque wrenches are so inaccurate I wouldn't risk using one on spark plugs.

If your using NGK plugs they show you how to torque them correctly on the box. Normally finger tight then a 1/6th of a turn or something like that.

Most cheap torque wrenches are so inaccurate I wouldn't risk using one on spark plugs.

If your using NGK plugs they show you how to torque them correctly on the box. Normally finger tight then a 1/6th of a turn or something like that.

Thats what ive read 2 times before, This has thrown me again now ! haha

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I always use copper slip on threads

you cant get the correct tightness on the plug with it binding on the threads..

same reason ARP supply thread lube for the threads and to put under the bolt head.

andy

ITB'd MK1

that depends entirely on the type of plug, some have crush washers, some have tapered seats etc. all the different types are listed on the NGK website (i posted the link in the last couple of weeks)

ITB'd MK1
depends how much other work you do/plan on doing. Torque wrench is a useful addition to a tool kit.

Saying that, I'd done a nip and a bit for years and never had one come loose

182 cup
don't you run the risk of over tightening using grease/lubricant, i'm sure i've read somewhere that torque values are given either dry or wet, or it may have said that the default is for dry.

Peter

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have never greased or torqued a plug up in my life, i have had loads in and out, and seen people with 600-700bhp cars get some plugs out a box and hand tighten them and then a bit with a wrench...

i would be more concerned about stripping threads with a torque wrench than anything else lol... dont be such a fussy bugger, take the old ones out if they run in and out easy forget the copper lube, save your self some $$ and hand tight and then a bit more, your working on a clio not a f1 car.

B

Bucko

I did 3 years as an apprentice mechanic before giving it up, have mates who are mechanics, and have continued to service my own cars for the 8 years. I have never seen or heard of anyone ever using copper grease or a torque wrench on a spark plug.

Overkill.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
working in workshops for the last 15 years when the plugs dont have some anti seize on them I have seen the threads damaged, plugs snapped, head material torn...

i have NEVER damaged a thread or over torqued by using some form of lube on them....

Andy

i have never greased or torqued a plug up in my life, i have had loads in and out, and seen people with 600-700bhp cars get some plugs out a box and hand tighten them and then a bit with a wrench...

i would be more concerned about stripping threads with a torque wrench than anything else lol... dont be such a fussy bugger, take the old ones out if they run in and out easy forget the copper lube, save your self some $$ and hand tight and then a bit more, your working on a clio not a f1 car.

I am taking your advice my good man, I agree.

Already got the grease, So ill have a see when they come out.

Cheers.

M

mini-valver

Lol, f**k me, an arguement on how to fit plugs. Only on CS!

Everyone has "their" way and none of them are going to rip your engine to pieces. 25nm on a torque wrench or just nip and a bit will be fine. Remember, engines get very hot, and copper grease melts ;)

I am taking your advice my good man, I agree.

Already got the grease, So ill have a see when they come out.

Cheers.

LOL. One minute your getting a torque wrench, then your not. :rasp:

Yes ive fitted plugs in the past without torque'ing em up, and yes if i didnt have a torqued wrench id just nip with a 3/8 ratchet, done. But I have got one, so I torque em up.

Yeah, But after consideration, Some reading and asking my dads mate whos a good mech ive decided i will nip them in.

He and others said it'll be fine.

B

Bucko

Lol, f**k me, an arguement on how to fit plugs. Only on CS!

Everyone has "their" way and none of them are going to rip your engine to pieces. 25nm on a torque wrench or just nip and a bit will be fine. Remember, engines get very hot, and copper grease melts ;)

I'd hardly call it an arguement, people are just answering the question with their opinions.

RB 182 cup
i have changed thousands of plugs and have always used grease but never used a torque wrench.

people that dont used grease have obviously never taken and out of ford hcs engine as are always rusting in.