ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cornering stability issue

172 (2002)
Afternoon all,

I bought my 172 on monday and overall it's in great condition, 2002/52 2 owner car with 38,000 miles.

I've noticed a strange handling characteristic in that in left hand corners if I hit a pot hole / drain / bad road surface the back end seems to step out. I originally thought it was just normal but I've had a few 'moments' where I've had to correct it, the back almost seems to go very light and skid/skip sideways. It doesn't seem to happen at all when cornering right, I've tried to recreate it at various speeds but it seems totally stable when cornering right.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm guessing it's a damper?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
Deff check dampers while your under there,check to see if the spring is broken,usually break's at the bottom.

172 (2002)
Thanks for the replies.

The offside rear damper is the reason I'm guessing. I noticed today it's actually very noisy (creaking all the time) aswell. I had a look underneath and the springs look fine, well they look the same both sides so hopefully both are fine.

Has anyone changed their dampers? Quite fancy having a go myself if it's relatively easy to do.

Thanks again.

clio 172 cup
did mine at wkend, one was leaking, 2 spanners, axle stands and jack is all u need. 2 bolts on each damper thats it

172 (2002)
Excellent, could do with saving a few quid seeing as it's going in for the cam belt in a few weeks.

One more question: :)

Where's the best place to get the dampers?

Cheers

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Probably Renault mate. They do differ between models (cup, non cup etc) About £45 each iirc

172 (2002)
Thanks for all the tips and advice :cool:

I've just ordered the dampers from Renault, they were £58 each.

Going to buy a decent jack and some axel stands later.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Thanks for all the tips and advice :cool:

I've just ordered the dampers from Renault, they were £58 each.

Going to buy a decent jack and some axel stands later.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Try Wickes, they used to have some for very cheap, there was a thread somewhere on here about them.

Clio 172 CUP
I'm wondering if this is the same thing i've noticed with my 172 CUP. When I corner right at speed the backend occasionally feels a bit light and seems to want to straighten itself up - find myself having to make small adjustments to the steerings wheel. Doesn't seem to do the same thing when going left - kinda hard to describe.

I had the car fully inspected by a garage a few weeks back when I had some other bits done, and no leaks were recorded when the suspension was inspected (ramp). I've not owned a clio before so I have no comparison, I hear they tend to follow the road/tram a bit so I don't know if i'm just not used to the car.

172 (2002)
I'm wondering if this is the same thing i've noticed with my 172 CUP. When I corner right at speed the backend occasionally feels a bit light and seems to want to straighten itself up - find myself having to make small adjustments to the steerings wheel. Doesn't seem to do the same thing when going left - kinda hard to describe.

I had the car fully inspected by a garage a few weeks back when I had some other bits done, and no leaks were recorded when the suspension was inspected (ramp). I've not owned a clio before so I have no comparison, I hear they tend to follow the road/tram a bit so I don't know if i'm just not used to the car.

Surprised that the garage didn't pick it up. Although saying that my other car had a leaking damper last year and the main dealer mechanic thought it was the sump leaking!

I originally thought it was my imagination and that the car was probably fine. After hitting a few potholes mid corner and having to give it some opposite lock I thought it just can't be right. When turning right and hitting potholes the back end twitches but it's nowhere near as violent.

I've since noticed that the damper makes a nasty creaking noise which seems to be getting worse. Can't see any oil leaks although I'm guessing there's none left!

I'll replace mine next week and will report back here to let you know if it's solved the problem.

Clio 172 CUP
Good luck with it :)

Yeah, tbh I trust the garage who looked at it, its a friend's dads - but I will jack it up tomorrow just to have a quick look. One thing they did pick up on was LSV spring missing. I'd never heard of a LSV - apparently its something to do with the weight distribution - but when they looked at it, it doesn't look like its EVER had a spring. I didn't know if this was a CUP thing :confused:

My symptoms don't exactly sound the same as yours as mine isn't really to do with potholes - it just seems to want to straighten the back end up. I'm going to also have a friend drive the car and give his opinion as he's previously driven 172s/CUPs etc.

Load sensing valve? They dont have one. They are exempt from inspection on an mot. Theres a thing you can look at on the Gov website about it.

Clio 172 CUP
Ah thanks Marco for confirming that (sorry to hijack your thread another172! lol). I guess I'll jack the car up tomorrow to check my dampers :) (maybe I just need to learn to drive hehe)

182+1.5DCI+S2000
my clio DCI tends todo this left or right or even on the stright lol if you hit a pot hole or go over a lump in the round you feel the back end wanting to play :( its not nice.
i thought it was bescuse i had the wrong typres(dirrent one on both back wheels and front lol :S ) in the wet its really bad tho go over a zebra crossing (stright @ 30ish) and the back end pops out but back in again..... but if i was going round a bend at like say 50 - 60 ish and it was tight noway could i save it.

GW 200
Hi, I recently had the same problem with my 182 but when going round right hand corners. The car used to skip and sway about over bumps and manhole covers. Turned out to be my front shocks. Five years of use and abuse had had their effect.

You probably won't spot and damage or leaking. But take them off and compress them, then check the compression to the new ones. You'll probably find the new ones much stiffer.

Note though as it's the back that's stepping out in the bends it doesn't necessarily mean it's the rear shock(s) that's gone. Mine was the front. Potholes are the main culprit.

172 (2002)
Hi, I recently had the same problem with my 182 but when going round right hand corners. The car used to skip and sway about over bumps and manhole covers. Turned out to be my front shocks. Five years of use and abuse had had their effect.

You probably won't spot and damage or leaking. But take them off and compress them, then check the compression to the new ones. You'll probably find the new ones much stiffer.

Note though as it's the back that's stepping out in the bends it doesn't necessarily mean it's the rear shock(s) that's gone. Mine was the front. Potholes are the main culprit.

Hmmm, I might end up ordering the fronts as well then :eek:

Hopefully the new rears will cure it, the offside damper is very noisy so I'm hoping it's the reason.

Out of interest are the fronts as easy to change as the rears?

350z, Subaru Legacy
Hi there, this sounds very similar to a problem I'm having turning left - only becomes a serious problem above about 60, odd thing though, i've noticed that my steering wheel is no longer straight.

I had tracking and balancing done not too long ago, and wondered if either of you with similar problems had this also..?

172 (2002)
Just a follow up on this for anyone who's interested.

Replaced the dampers earlier today. The offside rear damper was completely shot, no resistance in it at all.

Fitted the new ones and the car is completely transformed.

£100, 45 minutes effort and it feels like a different car.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

:cool:

Clio 172 CUP
Glad it sorted it :) mines def getting worse, feels even more skittish at slower speeds now - did you have the part numbers from Renault?

Nm found them £49 each :) did you have any probs at all? I don't mind having a go, but I'm no mechanical veteran! :)

Last edited:
  172 (2002)
Glad it sorted it :) mines def getting worse, feels even more skittish at slower speeds now - did you have the part numbers from Renault?

Is the cup on the same suspension?

Part number is 8200 662 257

Can you notice a groaning sound coming from one side as you're driving? Mine made a noise with every movement of the car, very obvious at slow speeds.

The car now really is completely different, it just feels glued to the road in comparison.

Clio 172 CUP
It's a Renault it makes lots of noises ;) hehe. Not so that I've noticed to be honest but your description sounds very similar. If it's not that hard a job I think I'll take them off and double check before ordering them.

Not sure I just quoted my reg for the parts in the end... Thanks for your help :)

Clio 172 CUP
Update from me, had my rear dampers off today - both seem to compress with a fair bit of resistence and pop back out.. so i'm pretty sure they are ok.

Going to get the fronts looked at over the weekend hopefully following Rico's advice...

Clio 172 CUP
... however looking at the fronts, theres no leak from those either (though I know this doesn't always mean the aren't shot :/ anything else people can suggest to look @ I did some searching on the forum, and anti roll bar was mentioned.

Its a very crashy ride from the front anyway, but I assumed that RS Clio 172 CUPs were quite a harsh ride anyway.

GW 200
... however looking at the fronts, theres no leak from those either (though I know this doesn't always mean the aren't shot :/ anything else people can suggest to look @ I did some searching on the forum, and anti roll bar was mentioned.

Its a very crashy ride from the front anyway, but I assumed that RS Clio 172 CUPs were quite a harsh ride anyway.

Measure the distance between the centre of your front and rear wheels and compare side to side. If they are different, you've twisted or bent something. Measure the lower subframes and check the front hubs for any distortion. Hitting a pot hole or similar could cause them to twist. Check the alloys for distortion also. Remove, check and rebuild the top mounts. Thats what was suggested to me.