ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Correcting the Dealer 'Special' Wash

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Having never taken my car to a dealer, I had no idea that they washed your car after a service so never told them not to bother. Pretty big mistake to be honest. The car wasn't perfect but it didn't have any serious swirls as I machined it last summer.

Didn't do a massive write up on this as I just wanted to crack on, get finished and get to the pub.

The whole of my car essentially looked like this all over (doors/roof/boot/bumper) :(

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

One pass on a cutting pad with some finishing polish

DSC_0090.jpg

Not really any good, so I attacked it with some harsher stuff (still not abrasive enough as i'd left most of my polish at my mates)

Ended up with this all over the car

DSC_0096.jpg

Prior to this I had a fight with the wheels:

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

Que IronX

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Que fat Northerner

DSC_0117.jpg

Then a s**t picture of the finished car

DSC_0119.jpg

By no means finished as I wasn't planning on chasing the RDS to death, I just wanted to remove the holagraming and the majority of the swirling which I did.

I will try find 2 or three days to spend on it chasing all the imperfections but tbh i've got more important things to be doing at the moment and it looks good enough.

Moral of the story is...

NEVER EVER EVER LET A DEALERSHIP/MONKEY/GIRAFFE WASH YOUR CAR.

:)

Wow that was bad!!! Shocking how people can treat cars. To be honest ive seen some terrible things at various garages ive worked in over the years. Good job you can sort the probs yourself.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Nearly s**t out a brick when I got my car back as I despise detailing but it needed to be done :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Not really much point. Average Joe just mashes a sponge over the paint so they won't see it like they have done anything wrong.

Be reet anyway it's fixed (ish).

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
What's the IronX stuff?

I'm an amateur and normally use halfords wheel cleaner, I assume your stuff is better?

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
When i took my mrs car into the dealers they asked if I wanted it cleaned afterwards, I said no. When her car was ready I went out to be greeted to a wet car, thankfully they just pressure washed it.

What's the IronX stuff?

I'm an amateur and normally use halfords wheel cleaner, I assume your stuff is better?

Iron X will kill all brake dust/metal/ fall out deposits in the alloys. Its very very good. If you have ever cleaned your wheels and left with hard dots in the corners, i will remove that very easy!

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Sounds like harsh stuff, I'm not sure my car is that bad to warrant using it

VRS
brian it is great on wheels :) i used it on my type r wheels today:

gave them a clean and sprayed some tardis tar remover on, wiped off all the dissolved bits of tar then sprayed some iron x on, the iron x "opens the pores" of the surface and draws out and dissolves any metal fillings and debris, the kind of stuff left in the corners of the spokes from brake pads and stuff picked up off the road, it sprays on clear then turns purple as it gets to action, then you just wipe it off, rinse the wheel and wack some wheel wax on :approve:

i got a 600ml bottle from 14detailing for around £15 posted, i probably used about 1/5th of the bottle if that and that was to clean all four wheels inside and out. wont need to do that again for another 6-9months so its good value stuff

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Christ on a bike they did a number on your car Luke.

Think I'll be adding some IronX to my basket this week.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
surely that damage can't be from a single wash!?
I am very particular with my car, and I would never let it get into that mess.

I'd say 80-90% of that is from a single wash. I've seen how dealers wash cars so you better believe it.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Its bad, mine was washed when I first picked it up last year, can still see the scratches over both number plates ffs like they have used a scouring pad :dead:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Unreal Luke. When you know your car you know when it's worse than before!

The FRP went for it's mot recently! My dad is service manager and they still didn't listen!

Ruined!

Write up on it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Interesting!

Rob, I'll get it just in case. If it smells nice too, that'll be the icing on the cake for me.

I've not known any other cleaning product smell as bad as IronX, and I supposedly have the new 'improved smell' version. The spray head dribbled and the shed stank for days

Imagine how I felt taking delivery of a brand new 200 in a worse state, having told them not to clean it numerous times ;)

Love your car btw. I need to sort my paintwork out soon...

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Imagine how I felt taking delivery of a brand new 200 in a worse state, having told them not to clean it numerous times ;)

Love your car btw. I need to sort my paintwork out soon...

I read that mate. Piss poor tbh, as I know the processes that should be in place to stop that from happening.

At least RUK Customer Relations sorted you out :)

Brian, IronX is the worst smelling substance known to man.

Imagine a curry. No imagine 5 currys and a jar of pickled chillies. Then imagine your pebble dashed toilet the next day around noon. Throw in some gone off food and your half way to how bad the stuff smells

I read that mate. Piss poor tbh, as I know the processes that should be in place to stop that from happening.

At least RUK Customer Relations sorted you out :)

Brian, IronX is the worst smelling substance known to man.

Imagine a curry. No imagine 5 currys and a jar of pickled chillies. Then imagine your pebble dashed toilet the next day around noon. Throw in some gone off food and your half way to how bad the stuff smells

I read the curry bit got real hungry then suddenly lost my appetite. LOL Does smell terrible tho!

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
This isn't helping me, one minute I'm all for trying it out, the next minute I'm thinking I'll steer clear! Lol

Good work though Luke, I bet you're glad to have it back to an acceptable standard after the dealer undid you hard work

you can use it on paintwork etc also, my advice would be clay first as clay removes surface contamination then spray some iron x over as this is for more indepth contamination.

Incorrect.

Tardis, then IronX or Wolfs Drake Duster, then claying.