ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corrosion Problems?

172 Cup
I'm about to start looking for my first Clio, probably a Ph2 172.
Are there any real bodywork or corrosion problems to look out for on them or is it just the usual stuff with a 7 or 8 year old car?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
They dont suffer from rot, although i have seen a few ph1s with rotten arches.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The PH1 is the only one i've seen wth a little bit of rust around the rear arches as Ali said. PH2 isn't so bad.

More modern Renaults are very good corrosion wise.

225 Cup & Williams
The rear arches on my ph1 are starting to rust. It's only surface rust mind you and I blame it on the shed load of salt on the road the past two winters and it's coming up for 12 years old.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The rear arches on my ph1 are starting to rust. It's only surface rust mind you and I blame it on the shed load of salt on the road the past two winters and it's coming up for 12 years old.

Indeed mate. You've seen the abuse our cars take. You Clio is in fine condition for the age of it.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
My wife's ph1 had a little surface rust on the rear arches! But also when i removed the side skirts there was a small amount of bubbling all the way down where the skirt touched the body! which you couldn't see, all cleaned up ok but might be worth looking for!