ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

could i run a small neon of my boot light

just wondering, i might put one in once my install is finished, just cant be bothered running all the way to the ciggy lighter, cheers

I have 3 12" neons running off my boot light and its fine.

Neons have very low current draw so you wont have a problem

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

hav u thought of tryin cold cathode tubes?? cos they are 4.99 for a 12" tube. i brought one for mine the other day and then i dropped it and it smashed into lots of little pieces. and then when i got another one i electricuted me self cos the power supply outputs 180-800volts, didnt half burn.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

lol, just dont touch the psu wen u got it on. got em from maplin m8y. they are a lot brighter than i thought they would be too

megane

y not get a green(r watever color) bulb to lite up yer number plate to

police dont seemm to arsed either, well round mine they dont ive had mine in 4 ages no probs

looks wicked at nite to

andy

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

just be sure to read the power consumption and check the fuse rating of that line in the fusebox to make sure you will be okay.

basically if the fuse blows you have too much current running through that line, and you would need to look at thicker AWG cables.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

yeah, i ran it off the glove box light in mine. i just took the light out, chopped the wires off, found out which one was positive then connected it to the power supply for the tube.

so if i get 12v neons, is the power to the boot / glovebox lights 12v also?? and can i splice these directly into the existing light power cable with no problems?

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Ive just got some of those cold cathod jobbies and i must say i fecking impressed !!

Piece of piss to wire up and for the size of em the throw out a wicked ammount of light !! Fecking cheap too !!

yes im pleased with em !!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

if ur gonna get them cold cathode tubes then i would sudgest (how the hell do u spell that word??) getting sum heatshrink tubing and place the PSU inside it as i have now electricuted myself 3 times with it and it really hurts. will also stop it shortin on any metal aswell.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

PSU ?? Is that the circuit board that comes with em ??

If so thanks for the advice !! I was gonna mount them in a small home made plastic box, but heatshrink tube is a far neater idea !! Cheers dude !! ;)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Leigh on 05 June 2003

PSU ?? Is that the circuit board that comes with em ??

If so thanks for the advice !! I was gonna mount them in a small home made plastic box, but heatshrink tube is a far neater idea !! Cheers dude !!
yeah m8, just try touching the back wen its powered up, feels quite strange hehehe. i shrink wrapped mine and then just cut out sum holes for the plugs. i still cant believe how bright they are, i have one tube under the centre of my dash and it lights up both footwells, looks really good. dont see how anyone can sell neons anymore, not once the idea of these cold cathode tubes spread. the only problem with em is, they are so delicate, i have broken 2 now wen tryin to put em in.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Yer neons are second rate to these in my opinion.( Dont flame me please )

Im gonna play around with the positioning of mine tomorrow !! All being well i can get some pics tomorrow night and see what they look like !! :eek:

Cool thanks for the advice !! Much needed !! Ps where did u get the heatshrink wrap from ??

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

So how are you lot wiring these up?

And how easy is it to do? Im a dunce when it comes to electrics!

One below the dash sounds soooo mint mate! Got any pics?

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Well i fiited two today and they are a piece of piss to wire up !!

Wired em into the boot switch and the positive is running from a active crossover for now untill i sort out a more permenant arrangement.

So that they only come on when the boot is opened or a door is opened !!

Il well chuffed, gonna order two more in a moment !!

heat shrink wrap was stolen from my grandads shed hehehe. got tonnes of the stuff. u can get it from maplin but i dont know wot sizes they do. ive tried takin a pic of mine but its crap, not enuff light for my crappy digi camera.

James24785

p.s. have u got any pics of urs Leigh??