ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could this be the future or another fad - Phone Bloks

Well just browsing through Facebook and stumbled across a video (I'm on my phone and no clue how to embed it) of a new concept of phone that if something breaks on it (say a speaker or screen or camera) you simply remove 2 screws from the bottom of the phone and disconnect the block in question.

To explain more here is the site:

Www.phonebloks.com

Interesting concept although probably would end up another fad?

So I'm on a Computer now...

PHONE BLOKS
Every year millions of mobile phones are thrown away because they are broken or obsolete. In most of these cases it is just one part that needs repairing or upgrading and all the other parts work fine. However, the entire phone will be thrown out because of one reason: mobile phones are not designed for repairs or upgrades.

This mobile phone exists of separate components that can be ‘clicked’ together. Every component has its own function i.e. Bluetooth, WiFi, battery, display etc. When one of these components does not work, it can be replaced with a new one. When one of these components needs upgrading, same story: replace that specific component with a new one. Choosing separate components enables you to personalize your mobile phone to your needs. Are you into taking photos? Go for the best camera. Are you working in the ‘cloud’? Choose less storage. No need for a specific function? Go back to basic and choose a top notch battery.

interface_zps726378e9.jpg

front_side_zps80c9f1f0.jpg

change_component_zps9958d1dc.jpg

together_zpsc80e8393.jpg

phonebloks_open_zpsfa4a0331.jpg

components_zpsa8a48c35.jpg

inhand_zps09894472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason normal looking phones can't be more modular, but that is just damn ugly.

I get the idea, but in all honesty generally the phone is outdated before something breaks, so why repair it when you can get a new one twice as fast etc.

To me it doesn't make much sense as a product like above purely due to all the advancements we're seeing all the time.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
There's no reason normal looking phones can't be more modular, but that is just damn ugly.

I get the idea, but in all honesty generally the phone is outdated before something breaks, so why repair it when you can get a new one twice as fast etc.

To me it doesn't make much sense as a product like above purely due to all the advancements we're seeing all the time.

But you wouldnt need a new phone to get speed. Surely you could just replace that block? Lol

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I spotted this on a few social media sites.

Remember KONY? Yeah, will probably be similar to that and everyone will forget about it next month.

I very much doubt the concept would work either. Want a new camera? What's to say the new camera won't conflict with something else on there.

Good concept, just won't work. IMO of course.

It says on the site the concept of using a breadboard style upgrading isn't copyright and he would love for a larger manufacturer to take the idea on board and make it happen. A larger manufacturer could surely make it look nicer and more modern and a better interface?