ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could this be True.

Just having a laugh on the CTR site, and wondered could this actually be true?

As I was coming out to rejoin the A40 a Focus RS (Reg L?52) comes whizzing past beeping at me. I thought..hmm...this FRS is probably well run in by now whereas my CTR only has 1200 miles on the clock...should I bother?. Then I thought screw it so I hammer it through the gears and catch up on his tail. We go under the hanger lane bypass and slow down for the speed camera (40mph). He then moves across to the middle lane so that we would be side by side. As soon as we pass the camera we both start flooring it. I dropped to 2nd and went nicely into VTEC. I was furiously changing up the gears reaching 8400 rpm on each one (being fearful I might c**k up a gear change and look a prat).

To my absolute amazement...I was up about half a car length on him to about 100 and the gap was STILL getting larger to 120 ( one car length). I then spotted a load of traffic up ahead and started to slow down at which point he went past as he didnt slow down at the same time.

After that I gave him the thumbs up as he was turning off and I carried on in the A40. I had a grin on my face for most of the rest of the day. FRSs are quick..Ill give you that...but theyre not as quick as people would have you believe. I had a full tank of petrol and my car isnt even properly run in yet. I love this car!

Now i have a CTR owner at work and he goes on about racing porsches and winning blahblahblah. Is there anything in their minds that will beat a CTR??

I cant see how a CTR would beat a focus rs like that to be honest, unless he simply reacted quicker from after the speed camera.

I personally think its sh1t! HAHA, theres plenty more on there if u wanna go and have a laugh. Stories of them beating scoobies, S3s, FRSs and WOOPING CLIO CUPS!!! gggrrrrrr

Astra 1.9cdti XP

There is nothing in it between the 2 so I dont why it wouldnt be possible just like the 172 there is no reason why a 172 wouldnt do the same.

Trouble with CTR owners is that they think their car will beat anything. Other forums including this one, Ford, Seat, Subaru etc the users feet are firmly planted on the ground and live in the real world.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Nothing between the 2? Focus RS has more power and a turbo, so constant pulling power once the turbos spinning. Id have thought the Focus could pull away from a CTR or 172

Right then U lot once and 4 all............. 0-60 times and 0-100 times

Clio CUP

0-60 6.5 seconds 0-100 16.9 seconds

Focus RS

0-60 6.4 seconds 0-100 15.5 seconds

Honda CTR

0-60 6.4 seconds 0-100 14.4 seconds

This is all sorced from the net... go look for yourselfs if dont believe me

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 01 April 2003

Right then U lot once and 4 all............. 0-60 times and 0-100 times

Clio CUP

0-60 6.5 seconds 0-100 16.9 seconds

Focus RS

0-60 6.4 seconds 0-100 15.5 seconds

Honda CTR

0-60 6.4 seconds 0-100 14.4 seconds

This is all sorced from the net... go look for yourselfs if dont believe me

Which site did you get these times from?

It took ages... i searched for things like focus rs 0-100 mph in yahoo... found sites which all had sameish results so i gathered that was the real times...

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Im sure Evo tested the RS and got 5.9 to 60, 6.4 for the RS is generous, its got nearly 220bhp ant it?

Focus RS

Max speed 144 mph/ 232 kph
0-60 mph acceleration : 6.4 secs
0-100 kph acceleration : 6.7 secs
0-100mph/0-160 kph acceleration : 15.5 secs
50-100 kph acceleration in 4th gear : 8.2 secs
60 - 100 mph acceleration in 4th gear : 9.8 secs

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Its only a ford lol

Dont matter if its a lada as Top Gear demonstrated!!

Im still not convinced the CTR is the fastest hot hatch, hmmmm, on track the focus should whip the CTR, 172 and Cup, on the road, Id imagine the CTR or Cup to come out on top.

Focus 18" wheels wont make any difference, CTR has 17s and is 12bhp down, surely the extra 12bhp should make up for the power loss with 18s.

Yes 5.9 was recorded for the rs but ford have had an overboost problem which would give the extra performance, also a ctr doing 14.4 to 100 i would be surprised best ive seen is 16.2. No torque compared with the Rs 144 Vs 229

Its only a ford coz they cheated and just wacked a turbo to a sh*te engine which they only managed to safely get 212 bhp out of.... sh*tE if it had 250 that would be a little more respectful

Oh a really interesting forum that is.

"Hi Im new here and I am thinking of buying a CTR as the gear lever looks just right for me. I have severe arthritis and my arm joints ar badly disfigured.

Do you think I am making the right move as I want a reasonably quick car but not one so fast as a Clio or a Saxo. "

Thanks for any advice

Banzai have tested the RS Vs CTR Vs Golf 1.8t road a track and the results were :

1st Focus RS 1.27.00

2nd Golf 1.8t 1.29.24

3rd CTR 1.31.40

They said that the in the CTR the time reflects our lack of confidence in the chassis and/or tyres as on the limit lift off oversteer was punishing.

I read that yesterday and they didnt like the CTR did they! Its had quite a lot of criticism for its handling.

I know the Focus has its power restricted for 1st and maybe 2nd gear to help traction and torque steer.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The zetec a sh*te engine? Just whacked a turbo on???

I can see your not a fan of the RS or any Ford by the sounds of it!

For straight line racing, have a look at some CTR 1/4 mile times. Ive not seen one do it in less that 15 seconds (unlike the Cup) and generally they are on a par with standard 172s. I do not believe that they hit 100 in 14.4 seconds. The last one I saw at Santa Pod was running 15.1 - 16.0 seconds all day. All well and good, but well inside Cup and 172 times.

Rhys

Edit - just seen the post about the CTR not actually being 14.4 to 100.....!

lol steve you cant help but defend the CTR!

EVOs times are 7.1 secs for the 172, 6.5 for the Cup and 6.8 for the CTR, i think all done on different days, probably by different drivers, so we can safely say bullsh*t to every single stat!

Quote: Originally posted by S600HBY on 01 April 2003

Banzai have tested the RS Vs CTR Vs Golf 1.8t road a track and the results were :

1st Focus RS 1.27.00

2nd Golf 1.8t 1.29.24

3rd CTR 1.31.40

They said that the in the CTR the time reflects our lack of confidence in the chassis and/or tyres as on the limit lift off oversteer was punishing.

This is also backed up by myself, the CTR was only a second quicker round brands than a 172 when i drove both.

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 01 April 2003

Its only a ford coz they cheated and just wacked a turbo to a sh*te engine which they only managed to safely get 212 bhp out of.... sh*tE if it had 250 that would be a little more respectful

Never noticed that - LOL, im not sure but I think the power can easily be upped as its set up for drive-ability. Imagine the bad press for a 250bhp FWD car!

As for the sh1te engine I think Sunny was running 300bhp+ out of his Zetec turbo Fiesta and there is many others with large powered zetec turbo engines.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by S600HBY on 01 April 2003

1st Focus RS 1.27.00

2nd Golf 1.8t 1.29.24

3rd CTR 1.31.40

There had to be an error in that test the Golf GTI 1.8T did 0-60 in 6.6 secs. Must have been chipped!! Was surprised to see the CTR get such a slating in a Japanese car mag!!!

I think peeps are over-estimating the power of the CTR. I hate the dam things, ugly ugly machines. And no way would they pull 100mph in 14.4

Why is a straight line time such an achivement? I would rather look at track times between the cars. The CTR is designed for straight line racing, however the RS and Cup anre concentrated on the more important aspects of motoring, carring speed round corners.

If you put the three in a proper race you can bet your coton socks which motor comes last!

I dont have the mag anymore but the pic wasnt a R32 - It looked like a normal Golf Gti with large BBS alloys.

Gp i thought the golf was quick too 6.6 for a chunk of metal weighing eh 1279 lighter than i thought, although it was the 180 bhp anniversary

Focus RS 1278 kg

CTR 1204 kg

172 cup 980 kg ?

Who knows - I was surprised that a Golf Gti would beat a CTR especially in a Jap mag. I didnt look at the 0-60s etc just the mini reviews at the end. It said it was and anniversary Gti but the times means it does seem more likely to be a R32.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

The CTR is defo quicker than a 172. Cup would give it a bit of hassle.

But CTR is quicker than FOCUS RS & CUP.

That Vtec sh*t is wicked