ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couldnt get the pinch bolt out, lower ball joint.

So I attempted to change my lower ball joints today.

I couldnt get the bloody pinch bolt out either side though, I WD40'd waited, had the nut wound on the thread, tried smacking it out.

Couldnt get the head of the nut turning either, too tight to use my breaker bar as the caliper nut was in the way.

Whats the solution? take it to someone who can buzz the nut loose and does it just knock out? its not threaded in there is it? just the nyloc nut holds it tight right?

Now Sold :-(
I had the same problem. It's not threaded and I read that heating the hub around the pinch bolt can help.

I have opted for the safer option and its off to Danny at 519Automotive tomorrow.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Generally, one you've got it to twist a little, you're on your way.

Try harder to get the breaker bar on there, take the caliper/disc off if necessary.

Breaker bar for a few turns, then ratchet it lots, then wd40 or whatever, then hammer and punch/screwdriver/smaller bolt.

Car's that have been near the sea are a nightmare, we had to beat the s**t out of Luke's to do it.

Cheers lads, It was awkward trying to bash the end of it with a metal mallet, kept catching the wishbone slightly, I think the caliper off and breaker bar approach will work.

Then even if I get the pinch bolt free I only have a track rod type splitter where the nut forces down to free the joint, will have to use that or buy a fork splitter.

Pisses me off being defeated on the day.

S4 Avant
Impact wrench. Greatest purchase I have ever made.

For anyone who spends weekends having to take a french car apart to fix it, you can literally save days of your life with one.

Ive got a little compressor, Ill have a look for a cheap air gun, its only 8cfm not sure what litre (I think 20L). but im sure it could get me out of bother if i needed it, I wished today I had a buzz gun to go on the compressor.

I might have to take it to the local tyre garage and ask them to do it for a fiver, I agree dave I've lost literally hours swearing at seized bolts.

Took the brake caliper housing off so I could use my breaker bar on the pinch bolt head, I think got it to turn about half but it still wouldnt hammer through.

And its starting to round. So after an hour I have up as it's getting dark.

My question is: I had to remove the brake caliper housing to be able to get access to the bolt, will a garage be able to get there air gun on it with the caliper still on?

Or will they have a compression tool to press the bolt out?

Also when my fork arrives through the post, would the balljoint hammer out with the pinch bolt through and the nut off? or does the bolt have to come out. (just curious I will wait till the bolts out somehow)

Lionel Richie
bolt has to come most of the way out to get the ball joint off, i can do them with the wheels on the car, so ner! ;)

E46 M3
The bolt has to come out, it sits in a grove in the balljoint.

I can get my buzz gun on with everything still on the hub.

Lionel Richie
na, a very expensive snap on buzz gun, a decent lump hammer and a punch is the answer :D

oh and a chisel helps to "splay" the hub around the punch bolt open slightly ;)

Now Sold :-(
Having watched Danny at 519 getting mine free on Tuesday I don't think I could ever have done it on axle stands.
Even stood under the car with a not unsubstantial hammer it took several good smacks to get it to move followed by several more with a punch to get it out completely.

My MOT is due by the end of the week, I was changing them out of proceedure but I'll be pissed off if they fail and need doing.

I was smacking it out with the nut wound on and it just wouldnt budge. I think I got the nut to turn but its starting to round slightly.

If it rounds completely I will be very pissed off!

Yeah Rob, I'm not sure if the Lemforder ones do, Probably worth the extra money. These where initially an impulse buy and also a peace of mind thing for the MOT.

Now I cant get the f**king pinch bolt out I will just see what the MOT brings, Dont want to have the car off the road if it fails I need it to get about.

Raz It seems a few have had problems but with the right approach (if your doing it on the drive) it shouldn't be too painful, I wish i'd have penetrating fluid sprayed it a week before and had bothered to try and heat the hub today, that will be the next approach when I have new bolts as i wont give a feck about hammering the thread to f**k so to speak. Or i might take it to my tyre place soon and ask them to whizz the bolts.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
im attempting it on the drive, so god knows what approach i'll take lol. only tool persific for that ball joint is my ball joint splitter. and yes the lemforder one sometimes come with the bolts, mine have ( from eurocarparts )

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yupp 2 securing bolts, some washer thingy, and pinch bolt/bolts

dont know if they all came with them, but thats the only ones europarts had in stock on the day

if you havent got pinch bolts, go europarts and ask the guys behind the counter. they have a better parts system.

i couldnt find dust covers for the struts on eurocarparts.com, but the system on their computers do.

i'll ask them tommorow when i go, to collect my other suspension parts

I was going to get the Lemforders but I didnt have enough in my paypal and was being tight, karma has hit me.

That would be great if you could ask mate, Thanks.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i found to many makes to be shite quality so when for them after i know a few dci lads that have lemforders on th're cars.

will do mate, i'll fire you a PM tommorow

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
alright mate, cant PM you for some reason. ive been eurocarparts and they said they dont do pinch bolts seperate. some of the kits they do , do come with them but if all else fails renault do them for around £8

Trophy Turbo :)
Im sorry what parts are you using?? I have uses FIA, QH and various other run of the mill brands and you always get all new bolts with time for about £8 each

Febi, Its a pain but I will just have to fork the £12 for the two bolts, Half the reason there not out is because I didnt want to f**k the thread up on the bolt until I had new ones.