ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Parky14

ClioSport Club Member
GO_84195_screen.jpg

2012 Release

Valve updated its Counter-Strike formula in 2004 with the release of Counter Strike: Source, a new entry in the shooter franchise that Valve completely overhauled using its Source engine. Now, Valve is updating its franchise again, today announcing Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

Debuting in early 2012 on Steam (for the PC and Mac) Xbox Live Arcade, and PlayStation Network, Global Offensive features new game modes, weapons, maps, and characters to the franchise. This will mark the series' first appearance on XBLA and the PSN.

Additionally, gamers will be able to be able to fight on updated versions of original Counter-Strike maps including de_dust and others. Lastly, Global Offensive will support matchmaking and leaderboards.

Valve also today shared new sales statistics for Counter-Strike. The publisher said that the Counter-Strike franchise--which debuted 12 years ago this month--has sold over 25 million units. Global Offensive is currently in development at Valve Software and Hidden Path Entertainment, which also codeveloped Counter-Strike: Source.

FPS/Tactical based shooting games have come on a great deal since the last Counter-Strike franchise, will be interesting to see how this will look and play in comparison to games such as Battlefield and Modern Warfare. Really looking forward to hearing updates and further announcements.

Last edited:
awesome, i hope it doesn't turn into a Team Fortress 2-like game;

1. Buy yourself a dildo hat to make yourself look cool and stand out to the enemies
2. Customize your clothes so you look like a clown, again making you stand out.
3. Reduce the game to a free-to-play pile of w**k so its full of idiots

rant over. (cant be arsed to list EVERYTHING that TF2 fails with).

S2000 + E91 330D
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another CS:CZ ! Freaking hated condition zero..

Integra Type-R DC2
Hopefully they will move with the times and really make their game stand out from the likes of CoD. CS was the original online FPS, I just hope they do it right.

Golf GTD Mk7
CSS is probably the best multiplayer game i've ever played to date. Great game!! It's much better and less complicated than the modern stuff. Sure the graphics are dated, but the game play is superb. Used to clan most night of the week back in the day. Have a life now though :cool:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Source didn't really cut it for me. Things have moved on, IMO.

And I'm not talking about Call of Duty. lol.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
awesome, i hope it doesn't turn into a Team Fortress 2-like game;

1. Buy yourself a dildo hat to make yourself look cool and stand out to the enemies
2. Customize your clothes so you look like a clown, again making you stand out.
3. Reduce the game to a free-to-play pile of w**k so its full of idiots

rant over. (cant be arsed to list EVERYTHING that TF2 fails with).

Lol! I don't like CS or CSS, but I'd feel sorry for the fans of it, if it ends up as another TF2 fiasco. What they've done to that game is borderline criminal. I reinstalled TF2 at weekend and as the progress bar moved along to the right, I thought "WhyTF am I actually installing this?"

It will be interesting to see how they approach CS-GO. They have to keep it simple to appeal to the hordes of fans out there. However, this simplicity is exactly what turns me off and would never spark my interest in buying it. Yet, if they got all ARMA about it and make it too serious, it may appeal to newcomers but alienate the masses.

It's a tricky one to get right, imo.

D.

F82 M4
CSS is probably the best multiplayer game i've ever played to date. Great game!! It's much better and less complicated than the modern stuff. Sure the graphics are dated, but the game play is superb. Used to clan most night of the week back in the day. Have a life now though :cool:
CS 1.6 is the best multiplayer game to date. CS : Source is absolutely s**te and CS:GO will be just as bad. I can comfortably say I'm the biggest CS fan on this forum and a few people on here will agree, so I know what I'm talking about.

F82 M4
Valve have also brought in some pros to test this out, and guess what? Yep. They're all Source players, no 1.6 players... :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
CS 1.6 is the best multiplayer game to date. CS : Source is absolutely s**te and CS:GO will be just as bad. I can comfortably say I'm the biggest CS fan on this forum and a few people on here will agree, so I know what I'm talking about.

I love the YouTube clips where people with a pistol go bam-babam-bam-bbam and nail three people like 300 metes away. The last time I ventured anywhere near a CS game, I did much better firing blindly with a pistol than actually taking time with a gun that was half decent!

I know it's not meant to be realistic in anyway, but even so..... ;)

D.

Evo 5 RS

You prefer 1.6 over 1.5? I thought you said you knew what you were talking about? ;)

F82 M4
You prefer 1.6 over 1.5? I thought you said you knew what you were talking about? ;)
Well considering 1.5 doesn't exist anymore I have no choice! I was one of these stubborn people who boycotted the idea of Steam and played on WON2 for a couple of months. Eventually threw in the towel and played 1.6 and WON2 died. So yes, 1.6 is the best game "to date". :cool:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Love Source... Still play it these days - great after a burger and chips, cold one on the go and boom! lol

Headshot!

Not a 320d
Always thought the Source engine was pushing it on the HL2 release. I remember playing HL2 for the first time, thought the game was rushed, had a really poor story line and the engine and graphics were nothing special. All that hype and for what.

I liked CSS but only because within about 2 months of its release I started animating people's weapon models. CSS to me was just a money maker, the base was already there so minimal work to release the game was required.

If they use the Source Engine yet again itll need heavy development. Portal 2 looked to me as if they had really put some effort into the engine this time round.

Source isn't great at all! The way it plays and feels is just nothing like how it should be.

I'm actually not going to get my hopes up about GO, i doubt it will be any good.

F82 M4
Always thought the Source engine was pushing it on the HL2 release. I remember playing HL2 for the first time, thought the game was rushed, had a really poor story line and the engine and graphics were nothing special. All that hype and for what. I liked CSS but only because within about 2 months of its release I started animating people's weapon models. CSS to me was just a money maker, the base was already there so minimal work to release the game was required. If they use the Source Engine yet again itll need heavy development. Portal 2 looked to me as if they had really put some effort into the engine this time round.
Seriously. WTF? Half Life 2 came out in 2004, in 2004 the Source engine was pretty damn impressive. Name another game that looked as good as HL2 in 2004? HL2 took 5 years to make with a budget of $40 million. Rushed?? WTF are you talking about?? No storyline?? It won 39 GOTY awards. .. I think you've played the wrong game mate...

Giulietta 940
Seriously. WTF? Half Life 2 came out in 2004, in 2004 the Source engine was pretty damn impressive. Name another game that looked as good as HL2 in 2004? HL2 took 5 years to make with a budget of $40 million. Rushed?? WTF are you talking about?? No storyline?? It won 39 GOTY awards. .. I think you've played the wrong game mate...

What he said.

Fiesta ST-3
1.5/1.6 and source were all awesome in their own respects. I've not played for 3 years but I've heard the source scene has now died down a lot... spent thousands of hours on the games, many late night laughs... wonder what GO will bring :)

F82 M4
1.5/1.6 and source were all awesome in their own respects. I've not played for 3 years but I've heard the source scene has now died down a lot... spent thousands of hours on the games, many late night laughs... wonder what GO will bring :)
UK 1.6 is pretty dead at the moment. SGL is starting Season 15 in 3 weeks and I'm going to wiredout lan 5 in September. There's still a few teams knocking about, not sure about the Source scene as I refuse to take part in it. :cool:

Evo 5 RS
Apart from the poxy riot shield? Few things really, can't honestly remember now it was so long ago..

Main difference? 1.6 used the HL1 engine (highly modified Quake 1 engine, for those who didn't know that ;D)

Golf GTD Mk7
Granted 1.3 was epic, but source wasn't that bad. It never ran as well, but at least the maps remained. It started getting a bit rubbish with some of the new maps. AWP ftw :D

http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969

While old guns are being tweaked and re-evaluated, a few new weapons were added, including a new heavy machine gun rifle, new pistols, and a new shotgun, but I think the biggest addition was with the equipment. They added molotov cocktails, an expensive $850 item, which can be used to slow down opponents and re-route opponents through AOE damage. Molotov cocktails could be used to slow down T rushes through the tunnels into B on Dust2 or by Ts to slow CTs on retakes. Molotovs are currently stackable and bounce (versus an instant break), which might need to be revisited. Decoy grenades are also a new item that can be thrown to emit gun sounds and give the illusion of there being a player. The decoy grenade currently produced an AK / Glock when thrown by Ts and M4 / USP when thrown by CTs. It was suggested by players that decoys should instead produce gun sounds of a weapon held by your team, which was a well received suggestion. While decoy grenades realistically won't fool any real player, I can see them potentially being used to make opponents hesitate for a quick second and at times provide the extra split second needed to secure better positioning.

When we first head of the molotov cocktail and decoy grenades, everyone's minds immediately rushed to Valve's failed attempt at incorporating the riot shield but I think if done correctly this provides an interesting twist. If done right I think each item has the potential to be change the way traditional competitive CS maps are played. They can change the dynamic of rushes, bombsite holds, and area retakes. IF done right, they can provide a new tool for strategies and breathe new life into classic maps.

Flashes were effective and smokes laid down a thick layer of cover that is useful. I think players were generally happy with how each were implemented. HE grenades currently are way too overpowered as one well placed grenade can take down a player with full health and armor. We had a few rushes thwarted by one HE taking out two or three of us in one fell swoop. Something that needs to be tweaked... Other changes include CS GO experimenting with automatically equipping a random member of the CT team with a defuse kit at the beginning of each round. Valve wanted to try and make the defuse kit a special item like the T’s bomb, but the group was quick to explain how in competitive game play multiple CTs buy kits each round so that at a minimum, there is one kit per bombsite. Another easy fix if they take our advice. Valve also was experimenting with including fresh Kevlar as the standard player load out at the beginning of each round, removing the need to decide between buying Kevlar with or without a helmet (in fact, like the kit, it was removed from the buy menu all together). This initially seemed really interesting as it could help balance ECO rounds, but upon group discussion it became apparent that if everyone always has full armor, then it in a way becomes obsolete.

Giving everyone full Kevlar each round also impacts a key strategical element that is so often the unsung art of Counter-Strike: the money system. Without needing to purchase Kevlar, Valve tweaked the price of some guns (most notably the AK, which is now more expensive) and money rewards. The money system is the second area that we felt needed the most work, and I think ultimately should be the last area revisited once we understand how useful different weapons are and what is done with kits and Kevlar. When the pros began talking about the money system, it quickly started to feel like CS Money System 101 and eventually 200 level lectures. They educated the developers on how the money system is used and how if not carefully crafted can be exploited. I am sure the developers knew that the money system is an important element of CS, but I don’t think they (or even most competitive players) understand how supremely important it is. The money system in Counter-Strike is what separates it from every other FPS and was beautifully perfected thanks to years of community feedback and a now famous article a few years ago. The money system is an easy tweak that Valve will need to listen closely to the competitive gamers for guidance on and it will likely be a long exercise in trial and error through beta depending on how quickly the other areas get finalized.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Always thought the Source engine was pushing it on the HL2 release. I remember playing HL2 for the first time, thought the game was rushed, had a really poor story line and the engine and graphics were nothing special. All that hype and for what.

I liked CSS but only because within about 2 months of its release I started animating people's weapon models. CSS to me was just a money maker, the base was already there so minimal work to release the game was required.

If they use the Source Engine yet again itll need heavy development. Portal 2 looked to me as if they had really put some effort into the engine this time round.

Your expectations must have been bloody high then!

HL2 was morbid, weird, slightly depressing but massively entertaining on first release. To then have that improved on by Episodes 1 and 2 makes it one of the best games of the last decade.

If you didn't appreciate (not necessarily like) HL2 back in 2004 - then no doubt you'd sit in a Veyron of today, take it for a blat around a circuit and simply mutter 'meh'. ;)

D.

Evo 5 RS
I agree that HL2 (and the source engine in general) looked dated even on launch, but that doesn't stop it being a very good game

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Source was a great game. I spent years of my life playing that s**t. Was in 1 of the top teams on ED and played in ESL etc. Been a long time since i played competitively though. 1.6 was my favorite though. Spraying was a lot harder as the recoil patterns were much more different. And the skill level between top players and professionals was minimal in terms of taking out the other team. The difference was in the Tactics. Source became too easy after a while, and the new hitboxes etc ruined it.

F82 M4
I agree that HL2 (and the source engine in general) looked dated even on launch, but that doesn't stop it being a very good game
This makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Can you name another game in 2004 that looked better than HL2? Seriously :cool: