ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of issues (Mount vibration, gear selection, intermittent P/S)

Hello all,

Really good forum here, so much useful information. Helped me loads when installing mounts.

Right, so I have a mk2 clio 1.6. 1999. I have just recently replaced all the mounts with new OEM parts as the others were well past their lifetime. (top mount was burst)

I have replaced them all now, top mount, upper gearbox and rear/lower gearbox(non twisted type) - The rear gearbox one was replaced a couple months before the other two.

I now have a horrible vibration throughout the cabin, which also ends up resonating all the way down the exhaust. (If it changes anything, I also changed a mid exhaust mount at same time of rear gearbox mount)

I have been reading a few things on this forum, and what I am going to try is first of all loosing the top and upper gearbox mounts and starting up the engine, let it hopefully settle in a natural place. Otherwise I am also going to loosen both top and upper gearbox and pull the engine forward in the hope to line them up better. Thing is I know I had to pull the exhaust forward to fit onto a new catalytic converter at once stage as it sat about a centimetre or two away from the exhaust clamp/coupling. Therefore pulling the engine forward might not be that easy or the best of ideas ?

I've always been doubtful that the rear gearbox mount was fitted incorrectly (a friend helped) because when that was fitted it also causing a vibration through the cabin, but it settled once it bedded in. (Probably also made worse due to the other two mounts being shot) Though I am not sure, I just maybe though it was fitted wrong way wrong or may the bolts done too tightly up and hence not allowing it to articulate with engine vibrations/movements.

Moving on to the next issue, my power steering seems to get stiff/heavy on and off... things to check out ? I need to check again but the fluid is topped up.

And finally, its sometimes hard to push it into first gear whether moving very slowly or at a standstill. Pumping the clutch once seems to sort it. Wondering if its maybe the selector bushes, this is a cheap fix I'd like to check as gear changes are also a noisy clunky sound (which im positive can also be heard in the street by passers by)

Grateful for any help :D

Thanks!

Jeez, thought I would have got a better response here than on Renault forums, guess not :p did I type too much ? :p

Then again, suppose I have yet to contribute to the forums too.

Cup In bits
Check all mounts again, re position them/engine so that exhaust doesn't hit subframe, job done. Maybe reset you gear linkage if the allignment is out.