ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of queries

Clio 182
1. Noticed that when braking on uneven road, I often get a sort of crunching from the brakes. presuming this will just be abs? but seems really sensitive. Had front discs/ pads changed a couple of months back, would anything other than abs cause this?

2. The back end of car is more twitchy than usual, and also on uneven ground esp roundabouts when not under acceleration the back end seems to be lifting and sliding. I do have sub/tools in boot, so there is some weight there but it has caught me off guard recently when it slides out. Any ideas of what I should be looking at? -will double check tyres tonight, but thought i should seek advice.

..having had a slammed mr2 previous to the clio, I was used to excpetional handling. obv don't think a big engined front wheel drive will compare, but after 1 1/2 years I still don't have much confidence with the 182 when not accelerating hard as it does seem to become quite light at the back.

Cheers
Steven

Clio 182
I have rainsport2's on the front, but will have to check what I have on the rear. I swapped front to rear when I put on rainsports at the end of last year, as the front still had a good level of tread. iirc they were a premium brand - will double check and update when I get home from work. This happens in bone dry conditions also, front seems perfect on the rainsports

182 Cup
Rear shocks could be a possibility. They completley unsettle the car if they're fcuked!

Clio 182
Know some mechanics so ill get this on the ramp on sat, anything I should advise them to look for? or will it be pretty self explanitory if there is a fault with shocks?

The cars done nearly 80k so not fussed if I need to replace, if needed should I stick with renualt parts, or are there any oem equivalents just as good? - its a non cup

....anyone have ideas on brake issue?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If you've got the budget, some 172 cup shocks all round and some cooksport springs would go someway to transforming the car.

Clio 182
update:

had it on ramps, and leaking passenger side rear shock, so at least the problem has been identified. Will have to look at prices to work out what to do. Luckily I have mechanic friends who can get me trade price and free fitting. Will Cup shocks fit straight onto a non-cup? - is the 'cup' pack simply shocks/springs?. Was looking at the cooksports so depending on when theyre back in stock ill look into this. But would only use lowering springs if I can afford to change all shocks, as far as I know they are the originals so would be worth a change.

...as for the abs grinding, mechanic suggested abs ring. says that these can become deformed or something - but since its not regular i'll just keep an eye on it in the mean time