ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CPL Lenses

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
thanks for that.. though i needed an american site as m living here now.. lol.. anyway thanks.. will get the Hoya one then.. :D

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Oh i forgot.. What size would i need for a D40? :eek: m not too sure wether its 52 or 58mm? thanks..

oh ok, didnt realise. not sure on size, just knew that 7day shop is cheapest for UK. I have both tiffen and Hoya and they are the same in terms of performance.

Ian

Focus TDCi
To fit the standard 18-55mm lens I think you'll be needing a 52mm filter (according to here - is that the right lens?), although the filter size for most lenses will differ.

Nimbus 197
the 18-55mm kit lens requires a 52mm. To double check, look on the back of the lens cap...it should tell you there. I use that hoya one that someone posted, can't complain at all!

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Yea thanks alot guys for your help. I ended up ordering the Hoya 52mm Cpl... Hmm cant wait.. :D

you'll not notcie any difference in quality with the standard hoya CPL over the pro version. a kenko is the same glass but cheaper

you'll not notcie any difference in quality with the standard hoya CPL over the pro version. a kenko is the same glass but cheaper
Is this actual fact?

I was looking at the Pro1 versions but they're £35+ off ebay at the cheapest, and in the end went for a £4 cheapy off 7dayshop just to try one out.

I think it isn't the greatest lens but it was only 4 quid lol

If the Kenko / green-boxed Hoya lenses are the same as the expensive ones then I may shell out a bit more...

Ian

Focus TDCi
I use a green box Hoya on my 50mm lens and it seems to work well, not had anything else to compare it against, but I've not had anything to complain about. Think it cost me about £16 from eBay.

They polarise the light so the sky is darker blue and you don't get so much reflection off stuff.

You can't replicate the effects in PS (which is cheating anyway ;)) so they're a good buy IMO.

Should be several posts on this already, have a search!

kenko hoya same factory, the thin ones just don't vignette on ultrawide angles. used both and see no difference.

green label hoya are the cheaper ones and are best avioded as they are only single coated, the blue are multicoated. The HMC are multicoated but have less effect on light transmission and the pro ones are just the same but 1mm thick.

I got a kenko pro 1 CPL from digital rev 82mm for under £50, obviously smaller ones are cheaper.

Is this actual fact?

I was looking at the Pro1 versions but they're £35+ off ebay at the cheapest, and in the end went for a £4 cheapy off 7dayshop just to try one out.

I think it isn't the greatest lens but it was only 4 quid lol

If the Kenko / green-boxed Hoya lenses are the same as the expensive ones then I may shell out a bit more...

sorry to sound dumb but what do these filters do? Any pictures taken by one Ian?

stolen from another site lol

Light moves through space, vibrating as waves in many different directions. Light which is polarized, however, only vibrates in one plane. A polarizing filter or “polarizer” is a lens filter which polarizes light along one plane. This can cut non-metallic reflections and enhance contrast under certain conditions.

Polarizing filters contain a layer of polarizing material which is laminated between two glass circles and mounted in a frame. You can then rotate this filter, which affects the amount of light passing through. Even at their “brightest” setting, however, polarizing filters reduce the amount of light entering the lens - they always cost a stop or so of light.

So what use are they? Well, polarizers are useful for cutting reflections from water and glass (ie: non-metallic) surfaces. They’re commonly used for cutting reflective glare off of windows, or for taking a photo of a lake without a reflection on the lake surface, for instance. They can also be used to darken blue sky (technically, increase the colour saturation of the sky since light scattered by Rayleigh scattering is polarized) and certain types of vegetation. The effect of a polarizer on the sky varies depending on the angle to the sun (known as Brewster’s angle). So a very wide-angle lens (wider than 24mm or so) with a polarizer will demonstrate differing amounts of polarizing across the frame, which may or may not be objectionable.

There are two basic kinds of polarizers - linear and circular. Linear polarizers work well with manual focus cameras, but they interfere with autofocus cameras. Circular polarizers contain another element - a “quarter wave” plate - which ensures compatibility of the filter with autofocus systems. So if you’ve got an autofocus camera - like any EOS model - be sure to use only circular polarizing filters. Note that polarization is one of the few visual effects provided by filters which strictly speaking can’t be simulated digitally in an image editing program