ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cracked Windscreen

Audi TT 225
My windscreen has randomly decided to develop a 10cm crack, no idea where it came from! Car wasn't even driven. Autoglass have been put on the case through my insurance company, my question is thus...

If I leave them to their own devices am I likely to be getting

a) the correct windscreen as supplied by Renault complete with Renault part number.
b) the cheapest windscreen they can find that fits?

if the answer is b is there anything I can do to make sure they fit a genuine part? :) this of course my be a pointless question if a is likely to be true but I've heard stories about some folk getting cheap replacements which don't 100% fit properly.

I'm not worried if they fit the standard 172 screen as apposed to the cup one.

crack.jpg

PH1 172 Sport
Highly doubt you'll get a genuine one. I didn't when they did mine, the screen is of average quality but it fits fine.

Westy. MX5
Autoglass told me that they order the screen from Renault, using your reg. no. to get the right screen. Hopefully true, mine being done tomorrow.

They probably don't know the Cup has a thinner windscreen.
And if they do i'd be suprised if you do get one as it'll come down to cost no doubt.
Its a bonus if you do get a genuine one though.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
And if they do i'd be suprised if you do get one as it'll come down to cost no doubt.

Really!? I didnt think renault put that much thought into it tbh

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My windscreen has randomly decided to develop a 10cm crack, no idea where it came from! Car wasn't even driven. Autoglass have been put on the case through my insurance company, my question is thus...

If I leave them to their own devices am I likely to be getting

a) the correct windscreen as supplied by Renault complete with Renault part number.
b) the cheapest windscreen they can find that fits?

if the answer is b is there anything I can do to make sure they fit a genuine part? :) this of course my be a pointless question if a is likely to be true but I've heard stories about some folk getting cheap replacements which don't 100% fit properly.

I'm not worried if they fit the standard 172 screen as apposed to the cup one.

crack.jpg

Right, to clear a few things up:

When I had mine changed, I was very precise on the phone about what I wanted, and they listened carefully to make sure they got the right one. They won't just go for some cheap thing, because at the end of the day its your insurance who fork out for it.

Also, (I'm not a ph2 owner) but on the ph2's (if thats what yours is) then I believe these have auto lights/wipers, and if so, these sensors are normally in the windscreen, make sure you mention this also.

When the guy from autoglass arrives (they can come out to your place of work etc) they show you then screen before fitting to make sure you are happy.

If its normal 172/182 (not a cup), then make sure you tell them it's heat reflective. Quite an expensive screen, but they got mine without a problem. (correct renault part) It has a purple tint to it and a gap at the bottom (centre) to allow sat nav signal to pass through.

Also, how funny, my screen cracked in exactly the same place.

This is an internet rumour I believe, I think after a lot of arguements over it, it was discovered that its just a non sport screen. So lighter as its not heat reflective etc.

Guy on the phone didn't take any details about what model it was so the autoglass guy turned up with a PH1 172 Screen, he apologised, told me that I needed a heat reflective one aswell as the version that makes the autowipers etc work, arranged to come back the next day and was sorted pretty quick. Was my fault that I didn't explain on the phone exactly what car I had :p

Just make sure they replace all the black seals round the outside as my brothers g/f had her Trophy one changed and they left a lump of seal at the top of the screen where they had left the old one on and put some new stuff to fill it in.

not a bloody clio!!!
Theres no diffrence in the screen in the cup! Ive been told this about ITR DC2s aswell but its just internetz talk :sleepy:

Normaly you wont get a genuine reno glass for you car if its more than 5 years old. With some insurance its up to 3 years old.

You will get like for like without the renault badge at the botton of the screen

It will take half an hour to do then do not move your car for an hour. If the fitter puts tape on your car (to hold the windscreen whilst it sets) Please leave this tape on!!!. If you remove this before the hour it can cause problems.

I always advise no car washing or jet washing for 48 hours. Also on some vehicles no jacking it up for the same time frame.

Normaly you dont need to replace the trims on a clio. If the clios getting on the trims can start to come apart. If the fitters been lucky enough to be suplyed with trims them im sure they will get fitted.

As always have a good luck over the car when the jobs done. If you have any issues or worys just ask the fitter :)

Audi TT 225
Cheers for the reply guys, to be honest as long as it fits well which i'm sure it will i'll be happy, it will be 100% better than the previous one which had 7 years of stone chips and small scratches! I've not got to worry about any rain sensors etc with it being a Cup ;)

DMS

A thirsty 172
Autoglass replaced my 172 windscreen a couple of weeks ago after I got my insurance company on the case.
As far as I can tell it is a genuine Renault windscreen. It's got the slight purple tint to it (UV filter I think?). The guy who replaced the windscreen also replaced all the seals and the gel pack that makes up part of the auto sensing wiper mechanism.
I certainly can't tell the difference between this and the previous windscreen, other than this one isn't peppered in stone chips.
As a Cup owner though, you'll have a different windscreen so you might get lucky or you might not. Best off ringing Autoglass and checking that they know the screens are different I'd imagine.

How quick are Autoglass usually? I filled out the online form on Monday and chose a slot next Tuesday, got called back at 9pm last night and was told they couldn't come out until June 8th.

Only problem is, my MOT is due June 7th and the crack is in Zone A, so insta-failure even though it's tiny and will almost certainly only require a repair.

I kinda assumed they were pretty much next day (the website certainly implies this, particularly the booking system), I wasn't expecting two weeks.

02 Clio Extreme
Phone them up.. so much easier.

I had my windscreen replaced on Monday. The lady on the phone was very helpful, took all my details, went through all the options to find the correct windscreen for my car. I needed the heat reflective, wiper and light sensor one.

Lovely bloke called James came out Monday morning... and pwhooooar, gotta love a Monday morning perv, best way to start the week! ;) ..very professional with his latex gloves (hehe) and all done in 45mins. Bless him, he took extra care knowing my car had only just come out of the body shop too!

DMS

A thirsty 172
When I had mine done, I phoned them up.
I rang on Friday at around lunch time and they said someone would come out between 2pm and 6pm the next day. He turned up at 1:50pm on Saturday afternoon and was finished in less than half an hour. Couldn't fault them really.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Phone them up.. so much easier.

I had my windscreen replaced on Monday. The lady on the phone was very helpful, took all my details, went through all the options to find the correct windscreen for my car. I needed the heat reflective, wiper and light sensor one.

Lovely bloke called James came out Monday morning... and pwhooooar, gotta love a Monday morning perv, best way to start the week! ;) ..very professional with his latex gloves (hehe) and all done in 45mins. Bless him, he took extra care knowing my car had only just come out of the body shop too!

I bet you're filthy in bed ;)

Audi TT 225
Lol at the direction of this thread! Just had my screen replaced, had a quick inspection, looks like a decent job, it's guaranteed anyway so if I discover any issues I can call em ;) In terms of time I phoned Sunday and they could have done it yesterday.

182 Full of Fat
Just had mine replaced today.
£157.50 fitted for the purple tint 182 window. Pretty cheap I think!

Westy. MX5
Ok folks, It's done now and MOT test passed. Wasn't "Autoglass" as I thought, it was "Auto Windscreens", they all sound the same to me. It was not a genuine Renault part though but I have no windscreen extras anyway. Top job by the fitter though, a cup of tea always helps them do a good job for you.

Audi TT 225
Sweet :) Just had a really close look at mine and can't spot any bad areas or where the seal isn't great so pretty pleased! All new trims etc, thumbs up to Gavin!