ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crank bearings color code?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi,

I am very confused as after disassemble my 172 engine the main bearings and big end bearings are engraved with a part number that could not be found after calling Renault dealer and some colors. The big end bearings are engraved with NOIR and the main bearings are engraved with BLEU. Does the color says anything regarding the grinding level the crankshaft from factory?

Thanks,
Radu

340i
The colour relates to clearance / size of the bearings IIRC... Renault installed different size bearings to accommodate tool wear, when manufacturing the engine.

Annoyingly, Renault only supply 1 set of main and big end bearings for the engine - As you've found out.

Your best bet is having the block / caps line bored and purchasing bearings to suit.

The colour relates to clearance / size of the bearings IIRC... Renault installed different size bearings to accommodate tool wear, when manufacturing the engine.

Annoyingly, Renault only supply 1 set of main and big end bearings for the engine - As you've found out.

Your best bet is having the block / caps line bored and purchasing bearings to suit.
That's got to be the most useful thing I've read on cliosport for years.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
So I have to use aftermarket bearings because Renault ones are only in standard size. Nice one Renault!

340i
So I have to use aftermarket bearings because Renault ones are only in standard size. Nice one Renault!

The Renault items *might* be fine, all depends how your clearances measure up... If they're out, look at King or Glyco bearings - They offer different sizes for the F4R engine.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
The Renault items *might* be fine, all depends how your clearances measure up... If they're out, look at King or Glyco bearings - They offer different sizes for the F4R engine.
Thanks a lot. I will measure the journals and then check for Glyco because are available in Romania also.

Radu

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Hi,

I am very confused as after disassemble my 172 engine the main bearings and big end bearings are engraved with a part number that could not be found after calling Renault dealer and some colors. The big end bearings are engraved with NOIR and the main bearings are engraved with BLEU. Does the color says anything regarding the grinding level the crankshaft from factory?

Thanks,
Radu

Have the same in my f4rt.

Did you use std bearings OK?