ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***Crashed My 172***

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Right after a bit of deliberation over whether to share this with the Cs community (generally to avoid the holier than thou brigade, you know who you are..) I have decided to post a thread of the incident on friday night @ 7:50pm....

Most of the Scottish lads are familliar with the Clyde tunnel and frequent it often so they will understand better than others...

On this stretch of road the speed limit is 30mph, as they were coning it off to start work that evening i was only doing 32-33 as it was quite busy so speeding wasnt on the agenda.

Basically i was coming to the end of the tunnel and about to move out to the outside lane to overtake a slower moving focus on the inside, began to accelerate and felt the steering get very light so as it happened the back end started to step out so i lifted off and turned in very gently, it kept sliding do i gave it a bit of gas and steered into it a little firmly, this wasnt course enough action as it just went side ways very lightly clipping the car on the inside (a scrape, nothing more that explains the dent on the door)

So the car slid into lane twos barrier damaging the front bumper after hitting that barrier it spun across the road hitting the wall on lane ones side. The car came to a rest (luckily) off the road against the handrail about 30 meters up the road. Im still stunned as to the whole event occured considering the factor of speed was absent from this occasion :(

59,879 miles on the clock, immaculate example, those who have seen it will vouch it was a wee gem.

Completley stunned as to how it happened considering ive taken that bend at nearly 80 before with absolutley no issues atall. According to the police there was nothing on the road but 10min after the accident convieniently the council were out cleaning it with those trucks that pressure wash the road...! 3 crashes on the same stretch of road all in the space of 20 mins.

Im absolutley devistated as to what has happened, like said, it was a very clean example although not to everyones taste expectation it was mine and i took alot of care of it.

Here are some pics of said damage, very most likley to be an uneconomical repair as the headlight, two front wings bunnet, front bumper and 3 wheels are badly scraped/kerbed.

Drivers side tyre overlapped the rim completley as the car went sideways it was so upsetting seeing somthing that ive put alot of time and money into and generally worshipped the entire ownership to see it come to an end in 30s flat :( Please be extra cautios guys, its a heart breaking experience and id wish it on no one :(

This is the southbound exit to the tunnel, the car came to a rest about 30-40 meters beyond the inital contact with lane ones wall...

SouthboundtunnelEdit.jpg

IMG00273-20090703-2101.jpg

IMG00274-20090703-2101.jpg

IMG00276-20090703-2101.jpg

IMG00280-20090703-2102.jpg

IMG00281-20090703-2120.jpg

Purley cosmetic damage but as its 8 years old the car will most likley be a write off, engine and everything else is intact and it still starts, coolant did leak from the car so somthing split somewhere.

Will i get another RS? Insurance company will be the judge and jury on that front.

Ill keep you all updated on the outcome of the assesment this week.

Regards, Danny

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Holy s**t that awful :( Feel sorry for you mate, hope you get it sorted.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
f**king hell mate, Thats gutting, anyway to prove there was something on the road to gain some sort of compensation.

Hope it all gets sorted buddy. Nightmare.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Diesel maybe oil, somthing slippy anway, to put it this way i was struggling to keep my balance standing at the road side, as usual the traffic police are never wrong.

To add to it the roads were greasy as its been really hot and dry and there was really stormy weather that day, not a good combination :(

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Think i was the 1st person you phoned mate! Totally gutted!

This was thee cleanest 172 i have ever been in! Drove perfect too!

:(

Rb 182
Gutted for you mate. Really am. I hope all works out for you.

As its always said cars can be replaced, at least you and everyone else involved is ok.

Keep us up to date.

Storm Grey 200
A real shame to see a nice example go. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what comes of it tbh

421 Cammed 172
Atleast you and everyone else is OK mate.

If there was something on the road i'd make sure that's in your statement. Were any of the officers aware of the substance on the road if they came to the incident?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Atleast you and everyone else is OK mate.

If there was something on the road i'd make sure that's in your statement. Were any of the officers aware of the substance on the road if they came to the incident?

Even in the event they could identify somthing on the road id still be at fault regardless unless you could firmly say where and what it came from then you have no chance.

Insurance are such a struggle id be suprised if this is sorted before xmas

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
No matter what you dirve it's never nice to crash it, especially when it's your pride and joy. Gutted for you mate.

L

leeboy182

sorry to hear this bud similar thing happened in my mates car just travelling alone hit some oil or something on the road an lost it car was written off an the police tried charging him for cleaning the road too!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Dont think that car can EVER be replaced, it was that clean!

Think thats why Danny is so cut up about it!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thanks alot guys, ive never been so dissapointed in my life.

:(

Take extra care guys, i promise you this is not pleasent :(

421 Cammed 172
Even in the event they could identify somthing on the road id still be at fault regardless unless you could firmly say where and what it came from then you have no chance.

Insurance are such a struggle id be suprised if this is sorted before xmas

Who are you with mate??

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Gutted mate, thats a proper shitter-car looked lovely. Fingers crossed for a quick resolve with the insurance company on this one fella.

421 Cammed 172
f***s sake.

Direct Line are just as bad TBH!

Had someone go into me and had to hire a car myself and then try to get the money back from other party without their help.

Sadly though they keep coming out with the cheapest quotes :(

I hope it all gets sorted for you soon mate!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
f**ks sake.

Direct Line are just as bad TBH!

Had someone go into me and had to hire a car myself and then try to get the money back from other party without their help.

Sadly though they keep coming out with the cheapest quotes :(

I hope it all gets sorted for you soon mate!
I found Direct line to be very good tbh, but all cases are different i suppose!

Lou

Sorry to hear this Danny, as many have said at least you are ok, the car can be replaced.
Hopefully your insurance won't be affected too much.
Chin up.