ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking when steering - ball joint?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
have spoken to clarkie about this all be it by text but just wanted to see what others thought also.

i am getting a creaking through the steering, it only seems to be at low speeds, it is mostly evident if i steer but also creaks slightly when the car moves forward etc.

on a recent service it was highlighted that i had a gaitor split on a ball joint, could it just be water / grime in the joint or do you think its a new joint?

or even something else totally different?

cheers neil

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I think it was only around £60-70 for the arm from Renault and a couple of hours labour.

PM Paul (LemonNobby1) I think he's just done his.

TBH I think the other side is going on my car now.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Mine creaks too on one side when I turn slowly. I'm sure it's the suspension mount bearing at the top because it was a bit flakey the last time I took it apart (but I was too lazy to replace it). I'll know next week when I take it off again and fit a new mounting. The cost is £25, I've sourced a non-stealer suspension mounting kit.

clio alize 1.4 16v
duno if this is the same thing as ur all tolkn about, but my steern wheel squeaks and its getn realy annoying now! only seems to be wen i turn right. it only does it sometimes and its beginnin to become a pain in the butt!!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine did this too swopped the front roll bar bushes that go on the ends of the roll bar where it joins the arm about £12 from stealers. Mine is now sorted .:approve: Try this before you swop arms or ball joints it cured mine .

Mine did this too swopped the front roll bar bushes that go on the ends of the roll bar where it joins the arm about £12 from stealers. Mine is now sorted .:approve: Try this before you swop arms or ball joints it cured mine .

If there damaged they should be replacd regardless

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Bushes just dry out and creak. If they ok you can just grease them and refit em should cure the creaking. Mine were ok but changed them anyway . Now creak free :approve: (So i can now here all the other french rattles :mad: !!)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah my nearside front is doing this as well and I suspected the balljoint. What a pain in the ring it is that you cant just replace the balljoint on the 172s :( Would have been a fiver instead of £60!