ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creating a local SQL Database

Hi people,
I am new to SQL and was wondering if its possible to create a local SQL Server (i.e. not on a server but just saved on the HDD). If so, what package can this be done in? I have Visual Studio.NET but I cant seem to do it in this. Thanks for any help.

-TS

im not too sure what your exactly after lol... erm are you wanting a facility to allow you to use sql databases in your vb.net applications?

Ok ppl, sorry for the confusion. I'm after creating a an SQL Database. However, when I hear the words SQL they are always followed by Server. I just want to create an SQL database like I would if I was using MS Access. Hope that makes more sense?

Ok ppl, sorry for the confusion. I'm after creating a an SQL Database. However, when I hear the words SQL they are always followed by Server. I just want to create an SQL database like I would if I was using MS Access. Hope that makes more sense?

probably best using what Munday said then.

Well, I'm all confused..lol
Can I create an SQL Database like I would if I was using MS Access. I.e. just open a program, create the database and then save it to a file?

this might sound stupid... but why dont you use access? im sure you can acctually create an access database through visual studio...

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
You can make MS Access read from an MSDE database but you may need to have an ODBC data source.
MSDE doesn't come with any of the data tools (like Enterprise manager, query analyser, profiler etc) but you can still get them to work with it.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am lost here. All I wanted was a program that would make an SQL Database and output a database file. For example, MS Access lets you create a database, save it to your HDD. I'm guess from the complexity of the answers that there is no such program.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am lost here. All I wanted was a program that would make an SQL Database and output a database file. For example, MS Access lets you create a database, save it to your HDD. I'm guess from the complexity of the answers that there is no such program.

If you had MSDE installed and Enterprise Manager then you can manually create an SQL database.
Not sure how you would do it any other way sorry :(

If you had MSDE installed and Enterprise Manager then you can manually create an SQL database.
Not sure how you would do it any other way sorry :(

Would this then allow me to save the SQL Database as a .mdf file?

Thanks for the help people, I have now created an SQL Database (.mdf).
However, I now have a new problem..lol. I can link a VB.NET app to the new database but when I add a new record, it doesnt seem to save. Any ideas?

-TS