ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crikey Strewth!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Crikey! How much would it cost to get a car there from here though!?

Lionel Richie
i think it'd be £1500-£2000 to ship it with insurance etc etc, plus when it gets there there's the tax etc (you get taxed on Aussie market value, not what it cost in the uk i believe, something like that) My mate ships F360 and 355's out there, will have to ask him

Titanium 182
It's all relative, the cost of living is a lot more in Australia, but if you can deal with the hassle there's definitely money to be made on a lot of cars!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Just come back from Oz, the car prices on non-Aus cars are ridiculous.

I saw a review on the new M5 & S8 their prices:

M5 - $250k (£168k)
S8 - $270k (£182k)

Luxury cars carry a 60% luxury car tax. doesn't stop you seeing a lot of nice european cars over there though.

Example, £113k used M3 anyone?

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/bmw-m3-2011-11471955

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172
Imagine what minter V6's and R26.R's would fetch? ;)

D.

We have about 5 or 6 Vee's in Australia + a V6 Trophy Race Car. The couple of V6's that have been sold here were about $60,000 AUD (40k GBP).

Luxury cars carry a 60% luxury car tax. doesn't stop you seeing a lot of nice european cars over there though.

LCT is NOT 60%, it's 33% and is only payable on the amount above the LCT threshold (see here http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/00182753.htm&page=22&H22)

Not sure why you guys are surprised... we've always gotten absolutely reamed on car prices. It's all about trying to protect the (rubbish) local car industry. Manufacturers try justify it many other ways too.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Just going off what our aussie commercial director told us when we were out there haha

My mate from Melbourne has a C63 and won't admit how much it cost, can imagine he was walking funny out of the dealers.

Clio 172
C 63 AMG

Manufacturer's List Price
including GST
$130,800.00
Recommended maximum dealer delivery[SUP]1[/SUP]
including GST
$3,269.23
Luxury Car Tax (LCT)$22,980.97
VIC Total Registration[SUP]2[/SUP]$713.20
VIC Stamp Duty$7,860.00
Drive Away Price
Base model featured only.
$165,623.40

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The rules are that you do have to have owned and used the car for 12 months before you can ship it. You also have to have a full visa. Damn the Aussies protecting their car markets.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. A local friend is taking his C55 AMG with him to Oz start of March. Selling for 70,000 iirc.

That's when he'll have owned it for a year.

The profit margins are worth it though. You could buy X amount of cars, keep them in a unit here for a year then ship it over.

Train as a doctor aswell for an easy visa

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The profit margins are worth it though. You could buy X amount of cars, keep them in a unit here for a year then ship it over.

You would need to insure tax and mot them all as well I assume if they are saying you must have used the car for 12 months not just owned it?

Yeah but for example the V6 selling for £40k and you can pick on up here for say £14k, tax, trade insurance, storage, transport is still going to leave you with £20k profit at least.

And as for using it, yeah, everynow and then you can move around their places in the lock up

Clio 172
Yeah but for example the V6 selling for £40k and you can pick on up here for say £14k, tax, trade insurance, storage, transport is still going to leave you with £20k profit at least.

And as for using it, yeah, everynow and then you can move around their places in the lock up

There is FAR more to it than that. A lot of the time you can't simply import the vehicle, most of the time they have to be modified and engineered ($$$) to meet specific ADR's.

Last edited:
  430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I spend alot of time in Austrailia as my Girlfriend lives in Sydney.... car prices are crazy! in fact everything in Aus is crazy prices!

Apart from boats. Was shocked how cheap they are over there....

I saw 3 182's when I was over there a few weeks ago. All beaten up! didnt look £27ks worth thats for sure!

Chip, Rich Pons brother imported his 996Turbo over there. Worth about £70k over there he reckons! and £25 in Uk!

Insurance is different in Aus. You kinda insure the car, not the driver. So anyone can drive the car if they are older than the person insuring it. Or something like that!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

WOW.

Thats all I can say to this....

oh and LOL!

Clio 172
Insurance is different in Aus. You kinda insure the car, not the driver. So anyone can drive the car if they are older than the person insuring it. Or something like that!

It really depends on the insurance policy. In most polices, drivers under the age of 25 have to pay a higher excess than anyone over 25. Some policies, to have a cheaper premium, have REALLY high excess for anyone that's not listed on the policy.

In the case of my parents cars, their policies cover unlisted drivers. But if I drove it, I'd have to pay double the excess since I'm under 25. Same deal with 172. Even though it's insured in my name, I still have to pay a higher excess if I have an at fault accident compared to say if my Dad did in my car.

Lionel Richie
I spend alot of time in Austrailia as my Girlfriend lives in Sydney.... car prices are crazy! in fact everything in Aus is crazy prices!

Apart from boats. Was shocked how cheap they are over there....

I saw 3 182's when I was over there a few weeks ago. All beaten up! didnt look £27ks worth thats for sure!

Chip, Rich Pons brother imported his 996Turbo over there. Worth about £70k over there he reckons! and £25 in Uk!

Something else we have in common then, my other half is from the Goldcoast! Think she might end up with a V6 clio on her driveway ;)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Hahaha My other half is actually an Essex girl! we just met in Sydney.... which is weird I admit!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Porkie do you have plans to re-import her back to essex, or to move out there yourself?
Or do you think that 12,000 miles is a convenient distance to have the mrs away from you most of the time so that she cant keep too close an eye on you? lol

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
what if you took the car apart, packaged it up in small "gift" marked boxes and the reasembled the other end?! Surely not Tax to incure :p

Lionel Richie
thinking about it you could make a mint from a trophy, the Aussie's aren't going to know its "special", stick a set of 2nd hand high mileage clocks in it (130,000 miles will do) then the import tax and GST bill can come down a bit, switch the clocks back when its cleared - bingo bango

not that i'd suggest doing it of course ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I read in the paper about someone in australia being banged up for ringing cars to make them look worth less in between operating on people despite not being a doctor I'll know where they got the idea from.