ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control buttons wrong functions

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,

My 182 has always had a bit of an odd problem with the cruise control. It and the speed limiter work fine but the buttons don’t do what they should.

Currently speed up either cancels or does speed up, depends on what way it’s pressed, speed down always speeds up, the cancel button mostly lowers the set speed. Sometimes it’s a lottery though.

Any ideas on what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Rick

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,

My 182 has always had a bit of an odd problem with the cruise control. It and the speed limiter work fine but the buttons don’t do what they should.

Currently speed up either cancels or does speed up, depends on what way it’s pressed, speed down always speeds up, the cancel button mostly lowers the set speed. Sometimes it’s a lottery though.

Any ideas on what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Rick
Brake pedal switch.

Is this an aftermarket bracket?

BMW 320d SE
I had this issue with my last 182. The clutch and brake pedals still deactivated the cruise control as per normal. I changed the switch by your right knee. Still no solution. I even checked the resistance of the buttons on the steering wheel, which were all absolutely spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
My cruise control would always speed up weather I pressed + or -
I got a good deal on a refurbed steering wheel with buttons and it cured the problem. Must of had a dodgy switch in my original steering wheel.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What causes the brake pedal switch to cause this??! Sounds very odd
I've no idea, but i've had it before. Maybe creating additional resistance within the circuit? This is linked to the cruise control.
I'm not saying it will definitely fix the issue here, but its worth replacing for £8

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Has the steeing wheel ever been removed? When I swapped mine and fitted a button panel for the cruise I had this issue. Swapping the wires cured it. Iirc there's only 2 wires for the cruise control's, with the same connectors on so its easy to muddle them up.
I had an issue with the brake pedal switch and it just stopped cruise from working at all.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Has the steeing wheel ever been removed? When I swapped mine and fitted a button panel for the cruise I had this issue. Swapping the wires cured it. Iirc there's only 2 wires for the cruise control's, with the same connectors on so its easy to muddle them up.
I had an issue with the brake pedal switch and it just stopped cruise from working at all.

I replaced the wheel with a non melted wheel. The cruise control was messing about before this but not as bad. Might remove the airbag and have a look at these.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I have had the exact issue before. Replacement set of steering wheel switches sorted it.

RB 182 FF
I have this issue with an aftermarket wheel and buttons. No airbag, no airbag light. Is the brake switch the same as for the brake lights? Anyone got a link/part number please?

Westfield, 182, 200
Brake switch, just reset it.
Had this on my 182 for ages, rest the brake switch and it was perfect.
Couldn't believe I hadn't tried it months ago!

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Brake switch, just reset it.
Had this on my 182 for ages, rest the brake switch and it was perfect.
Couldn't believe I hadn't tried it months ago!

How do you do this?

I’ve another problem now. When I press the cruise control button the green dial will not come up on the dash. Speed limiter works fine.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
I havent replaced anything yet. I was still able to use cruise just by pressing the wrong buttons. Now, the green light won't come up on the dash and cruise won't activate. I will replace buttons and play with the brake switch.

Think I remember something on here about taking apart and bending prongs in the cruise switch?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I havent replaced anything yet. I was still able to use cruise just by pressing the wrong buttons. Now, the green light won't come up on the dash and cruise won't activate. I will replace buttons and play with the brake switch.

Think I remember something on here about taking apart and bending prongs in the cruise switch?
That's only if the switch doesnt stay up in place.
Seriously, replace the brake pedal switch

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Bump on this!
I had the exact problems that the OP had. Buttons working randomly and switching functions.
I had the brake pedal switch changed recently and it didn't help either.
Now the cruise control doesn't work at alll, pressing the dash button lights up the green light but the steering wheel buttons do nothing.
BUUT... The Speed limiter works just fine!
I bought a second hand steering wheel just in case the buttons were bad on mine but it's the same thing with the other wheel mounted on the car.
Someone said above smth about resetting the brake switch. How do you do that? I also have a spare squib unit or whatever it's called. could that be the issue?
Thx!

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
For me I changed the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel and it fixed my issue. I also had intermittent cruise control not turning on at all before I changed these. Speed limiter was turning on I think. My brake switch was fine.