ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crunchy 3rd Gear and Engine Mounts

First off, had my car to my mechanic today to have it looked at, the engine mounts are apparently worn, I believe there are three of them.

My mechanic spoke to a mechanic at my local dealer who said they wear out quickly and to look into uprated ones as Renault ones are junk, by reading around on here, apparently KTEC are ones to go for? Are there any other brands I should consider? I am not too fussed about comfort etc as it's my second car.

Second point is that my gearbox crunches into third, is this anything to be concerned about? It doesn't crunch consistently, only when it's cold.

PH1 172 Sport
80% of the time the 3rd gear crunch can be solved by changing the gearbox oil for the castrol stuff of the correct grade don't make the mistake I did and try and save a few quid by getting another brand. The castrol gearbox oil is very good and really smoothes out the box.

The crunching may also be due to a worn dogbone mount.

ValverInBits
I wouldnt say that new box oil will solve the crunchy box, but it's worth a try before a new box.
Engine mounts are soft from new. Go for a powerflex dogbone, and Kangoo diesel upper O/S mount and a new N/S mount. There is a 4th mount (lower gearbox>subframe) btw

Lionel Richie
IMO no, as i take the view that renault spent a fair few quid on designing the car and they designed the engine mounts to do what they do for a reason (insert your jokes/moans/whinges here)

if the engine was meant to move less, they would've done that in the first place

a good condition set of standard mounts are fine

uprated dogbones i hate with a passion

if 3rd is already crunching you can try any oil you like under the sun, nothing will fix it, it'll make it better (if you're lucky) but the damage is done

ValverInBits
if the engine was meant to move less, they would've done that in the first place

That said Fred, renault designed a comfortable car. That includes NVH standards. Many owners on this forum (me included) are not looking for such a comfortable drive and would rather the car feel 'more together' or whatever. I think uprated mounts are a good way to start.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
IMO no, as i take the view that renault spent a fair few quid on designing the car

IMO Renault spent more on redesigning parts than they did actually designing them in the first place, can anyone think of a RS part that hasn't been superseeded/redesigned/recalled or more to the point, hasn't got a genuine problem with it?

I've heard the 3rd gear crunch is quite common, and as for uprated mounts, I believe mine is on KTEC ones and the car feels a lot more solid, no more massive rocking feeling from the bay when changing gear :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
IMO Renault spent more on redesigning parts than they did actually designing them in the first place, can anyone think of a RS part that hasn't been superseeded/redesigned/recalled or more to the point, hasn't got a genuine problem with it?

But that is called progress and they have all or will be superseeded/redesigned. As for parts being recalled I don't recall it happening to the RS wheels, wings, glass (on cups) Xenon's.....

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I mean being redesigned due to faults with the original design, like the engine control relays, or the crank sensor wiring, this may just be me, but I'm kinda fed up with the nice man behind the parts desk telling me the part I require is a redesign and that I should change all of them etc etc

Coupe/Defender V8
I'd suggest the k-tec group N mounts. It could be related as has been said, my box used to crunch in 3rd, and although it has been rebuilt it still used to do it from time to time.. until I changed the dog bone mount :)

Tav

Clio 197
When you compare the Clio engine mounts to those in a Honda Integra it makes you think what renault were playing at. The 'teg hardly has huge amounts of torque but the engine mounts look to be substantially beefier and better located.

Wonder if an additional mount or damper would be enough just to help out the stock mounts...

nengun-1508-00-jsracing-engine_torque_damper.jpg

172 Cup
im pretty sure synchro is going on 3rd for me too at 60k on my cup! only crunches when i boot it... not very often:cool:

the mounts are shocking too.

Coupe/Defender V8
A new dogbone mount is substantially cheaper than having your syncro repaired though. My bearings were knackered anyway when I had my box done, but even after it was refurbished 3rd gear was crunching on the odd occassion till I changed the dogbone.

:dapprove:

Tav

Clio 197
My gear box some times fails to find 3rd when braking heavily, it's due to the engine leaving forward and not having enough throw left in the selector shaft to engage the gear, not good!

330i. E30 Touring.
My gear box some times fails to find 3rd when braking heavily, it's due to the engine leaving forward and not having enough throw left in the selector shaft to engage the gear, not good!

Linkage adjustment?