ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup 172 Mods

Hi guys ordering a cup tomorrow so whats available in the tuning department. Buying for a bit of fun not track days. So mild to wild whats out there

Mark

throttle bodies!!!!!

i dont usually talk about or reccomend filters and the like, most other people will sort you with the details on that. Alternatively, you could use the search function and look up one of the many arguements on what to do, gains etc etc....

Ta ta mate

not a problem....quick roundup though.

I have done lots of testing on variables and results are roughly.

open cone = crap and loose power

seald viper or hill Power typre airbox = 4-10bhp (at small points in the rpm band)

Exhaust = almost nowt, but about 2

chip = a massive improvement in drivability more than power....nice and smooth.

the F4R is EXTREMELY sensitive to inlet air temps.

swapt o throttlebodies and an instant 215bhp is yours.....as on our cup racer....thats what i would do.

Cups seem to put out more bhp than std. 172s which works in your favour.

What id do:

I would go for either a BMC or Viper with cold air feed - £150

Modify throttle butterfly - £40

Big Valve Head with all the trimmings - £????

Unichip to tie it all together £350 - £500

I reckon that would get you somewhere between the 190 to 200 bhp area

As the car weights just over a ton you will have a very good BHP/TON ratio.

Stick on 50 bhp NOS if you want some extra occasional power.

Obviously the car is already light weight - might be able to save an extra 10 or so KG by getting some very light wheels - will get you even closer to the ton mark.

What I wouldnt do for performance but might for other reasons

Dont bother about a decat pipe - too much hassle

Exhaust if you want to see a tail pipe and have more noise

Cams arent worth the money on the 172 and give less than 5 bhp

Not enough meat on std. manifold or throttle body worthy of enlarging

the std inlet anifold and TB wont allow you much over the 190bhp mark....

cams wil just move the power band up and not increase by anything you can feel, just dont seem to work in the std motor. a set of quad throttlebodie are deffot the best way.......

Viper, its easier to fit than the BMC.

but most important....HAVE FUN!!!

keeping it std will be just as much fun....well, unless you opt for TBS!!!!

cups make more power as they have less ancliliary drain.

Cheers guys for the replys i will be keeping it standard at first but as with any car they only please for a certain length of time then its time to start modding. So ben swapping to just throttle bodies gives 215 bhp without changing exhaust or anything, or have i misread your post.

yup.....

But brand wont matter......they are all about the same, only inlet manifold design and mapping make the diff.