ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Alternator Pulley

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
Is it possible to change the alternator pulley or just get a cup alternator replacement?,as mine is squeaking.

Hi mate, my 172 Cup is doing the same thing, started a slight squeak, most noticeable when starting from cold, it just started after fitting epas conversion and fitting 5 rib aux belt so maybe it's putting a slightly different stress angle on the pulley, what did you end up doing, replacing the pulley or the entirely alternator?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
It was just the belt in the end mate,i fitted one from ecp a couple of years ago and was ok,then replaced with a new one from ecp again then 6 months down the line kept having to adjust it as was squeaking.I actually replaced it today with an original belt and got to say the oe belt seems so much better in quality.So i would replace the belt first with an oe one and see from there,as cheapest easiest option to start at and rule out.

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
Ah right, I fitted a brand new Contitech belt, I'm pretty sure it's the alternator, the squeak goes away after 2000rpm, it's definitely more a mechanical sounding squeak than a belt type squeak. The oe belt is no longer an option now I've moved to an epas set up.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
You could spray some silicone spray onto the belt then see if the squeak goes away or changes to defo rule out the belt,i did this and the noise stopped when i sprayed the belt.