ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Blower Resistor Pack

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've blown 3 resistor packs in 2 months and it's getting really old having to pull the unit out.
Does anybody know of an aftermarket resistor pack that fits the mk2 cup blower motor and is reliable ?

Cheers
Paul

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If anybody else is having this problem and really needs the fans for over the winter - just remove the resistor pack from the cup blowers and snap off resistor section (the big green bit that sits elevated away from the plastic) so you essentially have a positive and a negative only. This means you can run the fan on full only but it will no longer blow the fuse when using a mode less than. Hope this helps somebody.

Malaman172

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
My heating has decided not to work today on my 172 mk2! Climate control working but blowers not working! Could it be just the blower motor or resistor pack?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
How do you know when it's the resistor pack?
Depending on the model you get slightly different results, on the cup style one with no AC I've found it will burn out causing a nasty smell and kill the fuse. Replacing the fuse will simply cause it to blow again.

Malaman172

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Hey guys just to let you know my heater is now working thanks to replacing the resistor pack many thanks!

PH2 172
If anybody else is having this problem and really needs the fans for over the winter - just remove the resistor pack from the cup blowers and snap off resistor section (the big green bit that sits elevated away from the plastic) so you essentially have a positive and a negative only. This means you can run the fan on full only but it will no longer blow the fuse when using a mode less than. Hope this helps somebody.
Thanks for the advice.
I smell a Zafira fire coming on.
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/zafiracus...41&gclid=COGl_rGF7dACFVHIcgodzkQBFA&gclsrc=ds

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1

This isn't a repair as such - it's simply removing the circuit for settings 1/2/3 (Which require resistance to function at such speeds, thus need a thermal fuse as it get's hot)

Setting 4 functions as it would on any other car (Unrestricted). It's also possible to get these results by simply replacing the fuse, setting the blowers to 4 then start the car - but that's the fans on for life.
blower-resistor.png

Last edited:
  monaco 172
I've just shorted the 2 end pins together so I've got fans while I wait for my resistor packs to be repaired.