ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup brake upgrade

Was thinking about upgrading the brakes on the Cup and was wondering if anyone had done the same.

I had 280mm Black diamond disc and EBC greenstuff pads on my Coupe 1.616v and the setup was great but the ABS would always kick in.

Was thinking about the K-Tec upgrade

Has anyone done the K-tec stuff on their Cup/172?

Any opinions much appreciated

The brakes on the 172/Cup are fantastic, even on the track! Do you do a lot of track days, or are you just looking for -pose value-?!

Id agree with what JJ172 has said, they cope pretty well, unless you go on track pretty often its not really worth it, the upgrades cost a huge amount of money after all. K-tecs do look nice admittedly!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Im after some new brakes. The car was really well balanced in terms of handling, speed, and stopping. Now that I have the ECU the car does sub 6 sec 0-60 sprints and the stopping needs uprating too!

so 5% increase equals over half a second 0-60 decrease? Anyway just because you accelerate faster doesnt mean youll stop slower.

Nissan R35 GT-R

The car will do 40mph in first gear! That leaves only 20mph of work in second gear - so of course its under 6 seconds. You can hit 100 in 3rd so that 0-100 time must have dramatically decreased too.

It does mean better brakes are needed because you are carrying more speed at any given moment.

You need over 200bhp to get under 6 seconds..this could go on forever lol but my opinion is no chance.

Fair enough on track but on you regularly go over 100mph then? The standard brakes should easily cope with the minimal changes the ECU has made.

I personally think the brakes on the Cup are pants and dont have much confidence in them compared to my coupe it had the 280mm black diamond discs and green stuff pads and were fantastic. Just wondering what anyone thought of the K-tec stuff?

Frosty what do you think of the Cup brakes ?? I have no confidence in them. The prices for pads and discs are usually under £180 which i think is quite good. Sureley to replace with factory stuff would amount to the same.

Nissan R35 GT-R

RobFenn: You have no idea what the ECU does since you own neither a Cup, nor the sports ECU for it. I dont care about figures, or whats needed to do this speed or that speed.

Time is a constant factor, it does not change from car to car, distort figures, or lie. If the car does 60 in under 6 then it doesnt matter what power it has or needs to do it - the fact is that it does it. I dont care what you say about how quick it should be, or how much power it should be making, because I know what it does, I have stated what it does, and am more than satisfied.

Reth: I LOVE the pedal feel and I think they work well in the dry. Its the wet that bothers me. I think that you need to have, "Theyre gonna lock up!" in the back of your mind the whole time so you can get the most of them. Its the old ABS thing all over again. :)

I just feel they dont have enought intial bite when appplying the pedal.

Frosty, sounds like the ECU really worked for you worth the money then ??:)

320d M Sport

For once (!!!) i agree with Rob.

cant see a cup getting sub 6 with just a chip?? just aint gonna happen until youve got WELL over 200bhp,

Gareth the Cup brakes are the same as your Coupe ones.

Let me know if you want some more as they also do a nice anodised blue set of discs as well.

Paul, how goes it mate?

Those anodised ones sounds sweet, intrested in waht R-sport have to offer. But those black diamond discs matched with the EBC green stuff we had on the coupe were great.

mk2 172

must admit i can belive frosty. on good ground i can see it. look at the vid of my williams from york, i go into 3 at 5. something seconds, does 61mph in 2nd....................

Opel Astra Caravan 1.8

Ive upgraded my discs and pads to RedDot Racing. Im using same size, 280/238mm. 6-groove discs and Competition pads + ATE DOT 4 brake fluid.

Cooling is very important aswell. A "scoop" with a hose leading in cold air to the discs are essential when stretching the right leg. The upgrade has really made a huge different... Im very pleased with it!
/joel @ http://www.ClioSport.nuwww.ClioSport.nu

320d M Sport

craggy yeah i can see that, but surely accelaration wont take it to 5.9 seconds? at worst? from a chip alone?

From what i remember Frosty mentioned the 5% increase in power and better mid range response. Quite rightly i havent driven a Cup with the chip in but accleration is down to torque from low down, which hasnt been mentioned as a noticeable improvement yet. Therefore just thinking with common sense i cant see how half a second is knocked off.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 25 March 2003

The brakes on the 172/Cup are fantastic, even on the track!
Agreed...

On the road the standard brakes are more than good enough and even on track, they cope quite well. Possibly go for a better pad such as the Mintex M1144s but thats all you need.

I also believe Frosty. With just 1 person in the car, a lightish fuel load and with the temperature not too high, I can well believe that a chipped cup could break 6 seconds (or at least get very close to it).

Im well aware that Rob knows everything there is to be known, but does a lotus Elise not have a measly 118bhp yet reaches 60 in under 6 seconds?! Thats not even got 200bhp/tonne....more like 155/tonne (guess, BTW). God knows where this 200bhp thing has come from. Its more likely to be down to power/weight ratio and gearing.

Having had really brakes on my coupe i just find the brakes on the Cup not very encouraging, this is just my opinion. Paul172Cup had the exact same set up on his coupe aswell, wonder what his thoughts are?

Was there not some magazine that wiped 1 second of the 0-60 when they done a review of the cup.

Anyway back to my brakes anyone tried the K-tec stuff any opinions.

i really dont see how anybody is taking these 0-60 figs seriously!

sub 6 secs!...........i think i can just abot believe that......nope, nope i cant......

A chip alone wont change any 0-60 times by even teh smallest amount. Few things, this odd tally up system you got, like this mod + this mod = this power and time. And your in gear speed talk......the engine generally will be comming off cam and loosing power and torque. So, it might actually be more beneficial to teh 0-60 time to shift up before the off cam drop in torque/power is equal to or less than the same latidudinal point in the lower rev range, simply because you have a rising torque curve rather than a declining one.

The Elise, why does it get there so fast? simple, vehicle dynamics. It weighs some 400kg less, but has less power......fine, but the power to weight ratio is near enough the same. Add to this its mid engined and RWD, accelerative weight transfer will lead to a higher total amount of torque or power that the tyres can transfer to the rd without too high a tyre slip. More grip, more go!

dont need 200bhp at all.....

my 125 kart had 52bhp and a 6 speed sequential box, topped out at 164 kph on the gearing we were runing, and it hit peak rpm in 6th at 5.56 secs......thats movin!

The 250 kart did it in 5 secs, but it topped out at about 140mph.....in theory we had enought o reach 160mph, but top UK formula E karts have enough go for near 180!!!!!

Forget formula 3, thats just slow! lol

Does the Cup hit 60 in 2nd gear without the rev limiter increase? Ive just had about 0.4 seconds wiped off my 0-60 time (as best I can tell) by fitting the Hillpower chip....but its a cheat because it now does 60 in 2nd gear....no 2nd gear change to get to 60 means quicker 0-60 time! Hee hee!

Ben thats a hopeful, id think youd flip and die! 100mph feels very fast in karts wouldnt want to go above, some karts can do 0-60 in 2.5 easy, funny watching them do it!