ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup brake upgrade

Isnt it amazing the way that we could all make claims about how great the brakes or interiors of our cars were - but as soon as someone mentions power/speed it all becomes heated! I know speed is very important, especially psychologically, but it isnt the only thing that makes a good car.

I dont want to wade in with a "yes it will" or "no it wont" break the 6 second barrier comment. But I know that even if your car has more serious mods like head work/cams etc, it wont pull convincingly away from a standard car on a standing start. My head/camd/chipped 16v makes a good wallop more than a standard 16v, but wont pull ahead by more than a car or twos length on a 0-60 run (given an equal start).

That means one of two things (and I dont know which). Either that an improvement, such as 0.5 seconds 60, doesnt mean much on the road; or that even serious internal mods dont improve your 0-60 very much.

You decide!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/286000-286999/286766_22_full.jpg

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 March 2003

Ben thats a hopeful, id think youd flip and die! 100mph feels very fast in karts wouldnt want to go above, some karts can do 0-60 in 2.5 easy, funny watching them do it!
And why should it be hopefull?

Go ask any current formula E Karter just how fast they are.

How about, theya re faster round almost every national circut than all your GTs, BTCCs and most formula clases. The karts area still the fastest things ive driven and that includeds all your porsche GT2s and 300m blast in a GT1 (yes, short lived but fast lol), feraris, cliocup racers, Formula Renault.......fact, nowt comes close.

you know u wanna got 160 in a kart! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 25 March 2003

Well, that open air filter wont help much.... ;)
I guess so, but it doesnt matter so much when Ive got the other mods. I tried to put an airbox on, but the location of the fuel pressure regulator obscures it. I cant find anywhere else for it to go without disconnecting the PBV and then having to have it set up on the RR again!

Opel Astra Caravan 1.8

Quote: Originally posted by Reth Clio cup on 25 March 2003

WHAT ABOUT MY BRAKES :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

getting caught in the heat? ;-) I believe TAROX, RED DOT or BREMBO are the options you got for the RS. If you want the same size front and rear, 280/238, tarox and red dot are yours, else brembo got a front 305mm converion-kit...

Dont forget the cooling and a good fluid while your at it.
/joel @ http://www.ClioSport.nuwww.ClioSport.nu

larger discs make no diff......where on gods earth did you hear that!

If you used the same caliper and pad on a larger disc, i would r****d you better simply because the torque moment is larger.........

Where do u get your info?

Nissan R35 GT-R

Well the disk is there for two main reasons:

Firstly to be scrubbed against by the pad, and secondly to disipate heat. During a discussion, an automotive engineer mentioned that the pad area accounts for ~80% of the braking performance, and the diameter of the disk only ~5%. I say they make no difference, well they do, but larger pads and callipers would be better.

The only thing I wonder is if the disk is larger, the callipers will be placed further from the centre of the disk. Is this what you mean by torque moment? Would this contribute much to the braking?

yes, pad area does contibute a sunstantial amount to retardation. Your basically trying to convert all that inertial energy through rotational kenetic enerrgy into heat, as fast as possible.

Most of the game is in swept area, but there is more to it than that. the moment is basically leverage, further you are from teh pivot, the easier or less force you need. A pad of any size applied further away form the centre needs less effort.

Lots of things help like faster disc speed through the pad, faster heat generation, leverage so on and so forth, im no expert but bigger is better. Only time you want to keep a small disc is in the likes of autgrassing etc, where you need to keep the brakes hot.

if discs werent such an important thing, GT cars wouldnt have 360mm items under 18" wheels.........they would just use drum brakes, as they have HUGE pad areas, but you do get servo effect problems with drums.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Ok I understand that now.

The point the AE guy was trying to make is that it is better to have discs that easily fit under your wheels rather than some huge items that almost touch the rims.

He said that in terms of performance, good cool air passing through the discs (because of the size of the smaller discs under the wheels) gives better performance than those say 2 inches larger. Something to bare in mind.

as long as they dont touch the rim then your fine. free airspace dont matter, no matter how good you duct the discs etc, you wont keep it cool enough if the disc is too smal for the speed your doin.

and having them fit in your wheels is a bonus!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 March 2003

Ben thats a hopeful, id think youd flip and die! 100mph feels very fast in karts wouldnt want to go above, some karts can do 0-60 in 2.5 easy, funny watching them do it!
And why should it be hopefull?

Go ask any current formula E Karter just how fast they are.

How about, theya re faster round almost every national circut than all your GTs, BTCCs and most formula clases. The karts area still the fastest things ive driven and that includeds all your porsche GT2s and 300m blast in a GT1 (yes, short lived but fast lol), feraris, cliocup racers, Formula Renault.......fact, nowt comes close.

you know u wanna got 160 in a kart! lol

I havent know any kart to go 160..how do they do it, obviously theyre back heavy? I only have a R1 rotamax kart left, great handling thing engine weighs 12kg!

http://www.rotax.bombardier.com/images/kart_1.gif