ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Brakes

what they like then? i mean what would the stopping distance be like to a std 172 with ABS?

in both hard driving and if you really had to slam on?

Nissan R35 GT-R

A car equipped with ABS will ALWAYS stop quicker than its NON-ABS equivalent. It is a requirement for ABS systems.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

not nesesarrily..

if there was anitskid stuff on the road then both car would technically be exactly the same as the grip levels would be high enough.

but where abs comes in to its own is poor conditions.. heavy rain etc..

Trophy

Frosty,

When you say NON-ABS equivalent, dont forget the braking system on the Cup is slightly different to the 172.

Mat.

They do bite damn hard when you want them to. But I do know what you mean about corners. They reminded me how important it is to brake hard into the corner and lift off to the apex and plant the gas again on exit. Much more fun when you do it properly.

Nissan R35 GT-R

I mean when an ABS system is designed and fitted, if someone can stop the same car quicker without ABS during testing, the ABS system is re-iterated! And YES, a car fitted with ABS will always stop quicker than the same car without ABS. The ABS system can measure and react far more quickly than a human can.

Ad

MK2 FRS

But surely only in the event that level of grip is not sufficient and the ABS kicks in.

Lionel Richie

std 172 (non cup) 100mph to stop in 3.99sec, quicker than a caterham superlight that weighs 450kg + 911 Turbo + Ferrari 360 + Diabalo

Id say the brakes are pretty good!!!!!!

BMW X5, Exige 260.

i cant stand ABS on any car,

on poor broken and bumpy urban surfaces it comes in far too much and you end up with no retardation at all for what seems like an age, nearly been in the back of people because of it, if it had locked up normally the braking distance would certainly have been less. The extreme example is snow and ice, there ABS is useless.

IMHO of course

Brakes quicker than a 911 Turbo? What year, it must be an old one because they have being the leader in road brakes for a long time.

The current 911 Turbo brakes from 60-0 in 2.4 seconds, the Clio does it in 2.7, a good result but not 911 performance. From 100 its going to be an even bigger gap.

Think about it, say your Clio was as quick as a 911 Turbo, about twice as fast as it normally is, more so above a 100. Then imagine you had left the brakes as they were, they would fry them selfs trying to stop you from 150+ the car would feel dangerous

The 172 is a great hot hatch, but it is no supercar!

What is it with ppl and ABS?

Do they think their name is Fangio, Schumacher.......... ABS is a great help when trying to stop your car!

On broken and bumpy roads why would cadence ( not sure of the spelling ) braking be any better than ABS, If you run into the back of a car with ABS you will defo hit it with out! The idea of ABS is to enable the car to steer when your braking at full pelt. You can then try avoiding an object instead of locking up and losing your steering.

No car stops on ice! and as for driving in snow yes ABS is worse, but I would rather put 2-3 mtrs on my braking distance once in a blue moon when we get some heavy snow.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 07 April 2003

std 172 (non cup) 100mph to stop in 3.99sec, quicker than a caterham superlight that weighs 450kg + 911 Turbo + Ferrari 360 + Diabalo

Id say the brakes are pretty good!!!!!!
There is no way a standard 172 will outbrake a 996 turbo from 100 or any speed for that matter. Id like to know where you got that information.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by zoog on 07 April 2003

i cant stand ABS on any car,

on poor broken and bumpy urban surfaces it comes in far too much and you end up with no retardation at all for what seems like an age, nearly been in the back of people because of it, if it had locked up normally the braking distance would certainly have been less. The extreme example is snow and ice, there ABS is useless.

IMHO of course
Without ABS you control all 4 wheels with the press of the brake pedal. With ABS you hammer the brake and the wheel sensors can apply or back off the braking bias to each wheel individually.

Id place a very large amount of money on it that a standard 172 could outstop you on this road you mentioned!

Quote: Originally posted by Norfolk-172 on 07 April 2003

What is it with ppl and ABS?

Do they think their name is Fangio, Schumacher.......... ABS is a great help when trying to stop your car!

On broken and bumpy roads why would cadence ( not sure of the spelling ) braking be any better than ABS, If you run into the back of a car with ABS you will defo hit it with out! The idea of ABS is to enable the car to steer when your braking at full pelt. You can then try avoiding an object instead of locking up and losing your steering.

No car stops on ice! and as for driving in snow yes ABS is worse, but I would rather put 2-3 mtrs on my braking distance once in a blue moon when we get some heavy snow.
Fair point, but I found on my old mk1 that the ABS would often cut in on bumpy roads when it just wasnt necessary. There are benefits and disadvantages for both with or without ABS. The Cup is aimed at the trackday driver more or less and I am one of those people who prefer it for this reason but I must agree that for every day driving the ABS is good, so long as the surface is smooth.

I think it all boils down to what you intend to use the Cup for and your overall level of ability and confidence in the car.

There is no way a standard 172 will outbrake a 996 turbo from 100 or any speed for that matter. Id like to know where you got that information. -----

its true a mk1 172 timed at 3.99 secs braking from 100 recorded the quickest stopping time all day against various supercars this was a test in Autocar ill see if i can find it to proove it to you. makes it one of/the quickest braking rd car in the world std, unless you can find a quicker time from a 100.

The only time ive found ABS to be bad is on really loose gravel/pebbles this was on some parking area not rd i was going quickish in 1st pressed the brakes and the ABS came on too early.

As for ice and snow well......

BMW X5, Exige 260.

if ABS is so good why do the world rally cars not have it?

- precisey for the reasons i state above.

BMW X5, Exige 260.

i might be a rally driver...

..and believe me with London roads you fly over loose gravel a hell of a lot of the time!

do F1 cars have ABS? not sure but I dont think so , whether that is just rules or choice I m not sure.

All i m trying to say is that ABS is not necessarily the best thing in all conditions partuicularly for fast driving , track work and racing situations.

give it a rest all, this 172 vs. cup thing can get boring you know? besides, my car is the best and my girlfriends boobies are bigger then all of yours so ner ner

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 06 April 2003

A car equipped with ABS will ALWAYS stop quicker than its NON-ABS equivalent. It is a requirement for ABS systems.
Thats not really the case, ABS only means that youve got more chance of steering under hard braking rather than locking up. It doesnt make it brake any quicker.

With regards to the 172 vs Cup argument, Ill start the bidding at 32DD

;)

Um, this is total crap......youll of wanted that ABS when it all goes tits up and you stare at the back of that truck with locked wheels.......like a rabbit in headlights.

All this "im a good driver" talk means nowt.....ABS does help, in some circumstances it can go oopsy, but should you really be going fast enough in teh snow/ice/gravel?

Some people are too proud to admit.......

As for Formula 1, its banned....i.e. the rules say they cant use it, or they would be.......if a computer can regulate the traction control, why cant it slow you faster aswell.

sheesh..........

Um, this is total crap......youll of wanted that ABS when it all goes tits up and you stare at the back of that truck with locked wheels.......like a rabbit in headlights

lmao

320d M Sport

its true re stopping from 100mph, ive heard this as well and the article is on this very website.

BMW X5, Exige 260.

Serious problems with humourlessness and aggression on this BBS. No need to jump down the throats of those whose opinions differ.

weve seen this arguement soo much that well, it gets nowhere.....

and i was merely putting out some opnions and facts myself