ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup gearbox problems...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

On the way home last night I gave it some on a few occasions (as you do) and a few times after doing so it became difficult to pull it out of gear...like it was stuck. It did release but needed a firm pull/push and only happened when changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I know a few people have had gearboxes replaced...is this a sympton of impending doom?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, a few people on here have got this "sticking in gear" problem and its down to a number of things...

In your case most likely due to it being so new & tight!

When my box needed replacing gearchange was perfect, but it was whining in 1st gear and that was a syncromesh fault.

Normally when a box fails on a 172 or Cup, it crunches going into gear.

Get it into the dealer and tell them about this ASAP, and get them to check the gearbox oil, as if its only sticking in gear when youve been booting it then it could be low on oil and you may damage the box!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Well, Im on 1,300 so far...on the way back tonight it did the same in 3rd and 4th...so Im inclined to thing its a newness/oil problem as its not just affecting the one ratio.

Ive certainly got nothing in the way of whining or crunching at all...in fact, the gearbox is not half as bad as Id come to believe from all the reviews Ive read.

Compared to my Mondeo though, it really is a pile of s**te...but then that did have the sweetest box Ive ever used.

Mark

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its happened on mine a few times and i found that my foot was catching the footrest and stopping me pressing the pedal fully down(only by a tiny amount but when i moved my foot across slightly you could feel the pedal move down a tiny bit more).try it and see if it makes a difference.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Not_for_long on 12 December 2003

Well, Im on 1,300 so far...on the way back tonight it did the same in 3rd and 4th...so Im inclined to thing its a newness/oil problem as its not just affecting the one ratio.

Ive certainly got nothing in the way of whining or crunching at all...in fact, the gearbox is not half as bad as Id come to believe from all the reviews Ive read.

Compared to my Mondeo though, it really is a pile of s**te...but then that did have the sweetest box Ive ever used.
You cant expect to nail it from day one and it all to be fine...

Theres a reason why you run cars in and its not just to allow the engine to bed in properly, as the gearbox also needs a few miles on to bed itself in!

Gearchange was perfect even on my old whining box, so give it a chance.

996 Carrera

My Cup has always had a problem from 2nd to 3rd when booting it. It needs a firm push to get into 3rd and Ive lost count of the no. of times Ive missed the gear.

Had a dealer look at it and they drained some gearbox oil off as it was overfilled.

The gearchange was slightly better after but is now back to what it was. Cant be arsed getting it looked at until the next service.

Im hoping a KTec quick shift will ease the problem, when ive got the cash.

My gear changed is really broken. Only crunches on the downshift and when the revs are bellow 2000RPM. Crunches into 4,3,2. But if i blimp the throtal rally car stylee its ok.

Only done 11k so hopefully theyll fix it in the service after xmas :(

Embarrassed to say

Renault are about to recall 30,000 gearboxes for duff casings, I dont know if this is true. Not even sure if renault actually do recalls for anything.

Ive noticed they dont seem to recall for common problems. I worked for Ford a while back and it seemed they were always recalling cars past and present for something or other. (And its certainly not because renault is better quality!!!!!)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

as soon as a car visits a dealer any recalls/ots that are relevant will show up on the computer.only the serious problems are recalled by letters.the other problems are done as and when the cars visit dealers.

Get the same hing with my cup, it sticks in gear from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. only if your giving it some. the cars done 13K and doesnt do it that often anymore

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Well, Ive got 6,500 on the clock now and it does it much less than when it was <1,000. For me, its not enough of a problem to have to take it into Renault and be without my car for a day etc. etc.

The gearbox seems to have improved with age too...though thats probably just through familiarisation ;)

Mark

Ive not had any gearbox problems - only a bit of a crunch from 1st to second performed at about 6,500 revs whilst nailing it - I suspect its me operating the clutch and gearstick simultaneously though... meaning the clutch isnt depressed enough!!!