ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup killing season begins

Nissan 350Z
Well, its started.

Spotted today on the Scotswood Road in newcastle, a 172 Cup that appears to have spun off the road, and backwards into a traffic light. Car looks as if it probably was a write off.

Hope whoever it was is ok.

J

JACKO CUP 172!

good job mine is off the road again.this time of year is harsh!!

MINI JCW
As a side issue, do people feel lots of cups get written off due to:

A, The lack of ABS

or

B, the type of people who buy cups

Nissan 350Z
Probably more reason B than A, to be honest.

I had no problems with lack of ABS, traction control, or ESP (or even airbags and probably side impact bars as well) on my old Mk2 Golf GTI.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I have no ABS, hell i don't even have a brake servo and i can keep it on the shiney stuff.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Drive according to road conditions , wet and icy roads take your time .Its not rocket science is it , lol .

A, The lack of ABS

or

B because drivers of new cars think the car will protect them there enough WIlliams out there which havn't been written off you could argue that older school drivers knew to read the situations and driving conditions better.

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
probably B,
im gonna be taking it easy for the next few months. I've survived two winters so far in my cup!!!

172cup
Cups are the easiest thing in the world to drive. Great feedback to the driver. So if you don't understand whats going on... you shouldn't be on the roads.

172cup

A, The lack of ABS

or

Gotta be B.... its a girls car after all. All i ever see is girls and old men driving clio sports. Not sure if i'm a girl, an old man, or an exception to the rule.

Clio 172 mk2
I think it's likely to be B as well but TBH winter takes it's toll on a lot of cars abs or not.

You do get some good driving days in the winter when it's nice and crisp and dry to go with it but a the moment it is prretty crap with all the leaves on the roads making things slippery.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its all about the driver.If your daft enough to get your car sideways into a tree in the winter then who's fault is that.
I have never even had my ABS work in all the clio's ive had.
Summer is for fun,winter should be taken steady

ian

Clio 172 mk2
Yeah, we know that but some people don't.they just carry on driving at the same speeds regardless of road condition/visiblity/weather.

Driving down the M25/M4 on Tuesday...dark, pissing rain and I saw some really dangerous driving (mainly tailgating) so people stuffing their cars this time of year doesn't really surprise me.

LY V6 with Recaros
I think it's down to the driver, some people don't take into consideration the road conditions and carry on driving as they would in good conditions. I don't think abs is anything to do with it, I haven't had it in any of my previous cars, and have never had a problem in bad weather.

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
i miss my 172 cup its the best clio i have owned but with out the esp and abs my 182 has its bad in winter

Leon Cupra R 225
Its all about the driver.If your daft enough to get your car sideways into a tree in the winter then who's fault is that.

ian

Well said :star:

1998 BMW e46 323i

ian

ABS works all the time, unless you pull out the relay.

Do you never brake harshly; has no one EVER pulled out on you? Even braking hard on a potholed road means the ABS kicks in

Cadence braking is easy, but to be fair I'd trust ABS before my own cadence braking in an emergency

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6

ian

ABS works all the time, unless you pull out the relay.

Do you never brake harshly; has no one EVER pulled out on you? Even braking hard on a potholed road means the ABS kicks in

Cadence braking is easy, but to be fair I'd trust ABS before my own cadence braking in an emergency

good point love my 172 cup but abs in this weather is a must like you said you can be a great driver but its other people pulling out