ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup or 172

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

know its been posted before but am in the market for one now!

whats the main differences really between them in terms of performance and interia etc...

what would you rather have ......

thanks

172 has all the stuff like aircon half leather, loadsa little toys

the cup is what? about 70kg lighter? dunno exactly.

pretty similair looking but lots more plastic and less stuff.

performance wise theres f**k all in it, except maybe on a track?

plus you can have a choice of colours if you pick the 172.

id say 172

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Cup, never had any gadgets in any of my cars so I wouldnt miss them. Plus they are a bit quicker and a bit more special IMO.

Cup has less mod cons (no climate, xenons ect ect). Has a slightly wider track, is slightly lower and firmer, is lighter and a bit quicker. Handles a bit more sharply. Depends on whether you want the luxury or not really.

Remapped derv Golf

Depends what you want!

172 has a nicer ride and there hardly anything in them

Id go for a 172 if I was buying again.

Black with Turinis and Cup spoilers!!

Iains one for sale looks great.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

cool thats what i was thinking really! never really has#d any toys in the williams so not really gonna miss them!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

as a 172 owner id say drive em both if ya can. If you can really feel the diff go for a cup, if not would you want the toys!!#

cups are that bit more special tho

The Clio Renaultsport 172 is already a formidable opponent in the hot hatch category. But dont be fooled into thinking that the Cups low price tag means its no rival for the top spot. The lightweight Clio has been designed and built by Renaultsport, the competition arm of Renault, which is responsible for constructing its Formula One and rally cars.

Although the Cup hasnt been designed to topple the flagship Clio V6, it will aim to offer more than the mainstream 172 in terms of handling and performance. Based around the current Clio 172, its powered by the same 2.0—litre 16V engine, but reduced weight and uprated suspension means its even quicker. The Clio offers 168bhp per tonne, beating the acclaimed Civic Type—R, which offers 166bhp per tonne. The Cup also delivers the same 172bhp at 6250rpm, and the gearbox is also unchanged.

These modifications make it one of the quickest hot hatches in its class, able to reach 60mph from the lights in under seven seconds, trimming half a second off the standard 172, and just over half a second slower than its bigger brother the V6. This makes it the fastest four—seater car on the market for under £20,000.

In order to boost the cars handling capability the front track has been made 20mm wider and the rear track 10mm wider. This will give it an improved stance on the road and to optimise grip around twisty country roads. The overall height has also been reduced by 3mm thanks to new springs all round. With higher springs on the front, suspension is firmer and provides a more responsive behaviour. Although this will improve the cars handling capabilities, the firmer ride will mean that slight blemishes in the road will be felt at low speeds.

The Cup—only alloy wheels are also fitted with extra firm tyres, which Renault claims, offers more direct steering. A low front spoiler and large rear hatch—mounted spoiler creates greater down force and aerodynamic refinement. In order to compensate for the lack of ABS, Renault has redesigned the braking system to adapt the extreme driving.

Taken from TOP Gear

i just bought a cup, i tested a 172 and a cup first, tbh i liked the way the cup handled better than the 172 and i felt a lot more comfortable driving it, as for air con etc, none of my other cars ever had it so im not going to miss it, besides ive heard there expensive to fix if it goes wrong, and im a tight git! at the end of the day its you who has to drive it and pay for it.

best of luck finding what you want.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

I drove the pair of em and just thought the cup was a better drive and felt quicker as well. Not really bothered by aircon (im 2 tight 2 use it n e way).

The 172 has nice seats tho. They are both badly made cars tho so id go 4 the cheepest option

BMW X5, Exige 260.

Get the Cup. Best hatch in the last 10 years.

I had one before getting the AMG, and believe me I know what car is more fun, and it aint the 350 bhp, 390ft/lb one.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I had this dilemma when buying new last year, ended up with a Cup for various reasons...

Depends if you want the toys or not?!

The 172 handles just as good as a cup when lowered...try them both and see, my sister has a cup and I have a 172, we tend to drive each others cars just as much as our own, they are both fantastic little cars!! :)

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

i know it states the cup has a wider track is it noticeable?

Weeman sucks ****

Personal to the driver at the end of the day I think. I drove both but went for the cup as I like the more unique appeal and Im a fan of the more basic/raw type aswell. I see my cup as an elise with a roof if that makes sense?! Plus I only payed £12200 brand new for mine 2 xmas ago so bit of a bargain I think.

Like lincswhite said, the more you have, the more can go wrong but that could be nit picking.

Ive had mine for a year and a half now, done 31000 miles and only ever had one rattle in it apart from the 4k exhaust one which was fixed but has come back!! I love it and to be honest cant think of much else out there Id change to unless I had more money of course. My insurance is good, running costs are great (no oil drank on the trackday) and even though I spank a really nice road everyday, she still reads over 35 mpg...

Either would be good Id say.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by eves on 23 August 2004
i know it states the cup has a wider track is it noticeable?

Maybe slightly to drive but I can notice it visually which is probably why a standard 172 looks lower?

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 23 August 2004

The 172 handles just as good as a cup when lowered...try them both and see, my sister has a cup and I have a 172, we tend to drive each others cars just as much as our own, they are both fantastic little cars!! :)
Id agree with that Loonys 172 handles mint!

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 23 August 2004
wow chris 31k already!!??Ive had mine a year and a half and its done 13k

yeah, i do 40 miles a day to and from work which doesnt help but its worth it...ah the A507, what a road. Wait until 20000 miles, she should feel even better mate, mine did:D

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Other approach is to get a late Mk1 172 ... splits the difference in performance between Cup and Mk2 172; has the toys; handling is easy to refine with some Eibachs; and theyre getting cheaper by the second so youll have some spare change left!

VaVa

Yup. I think Andys comment may come from a slight bias to the mk1s(!!), but he does make a very valid point. There are sme lovely mk1s about for around the 6k mark....

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 23 August 2004

Yup. I think Andys comment may come from a slight bias to the mk1s(!!), but he does make a very valid point. There are sme lovely mk1s about for around the 6k mark....
Me biased ;) I have test driven all 3 Ill let you know!!

However, havent felt the need to upgrade from my current rattly one to a later less rattly one. V6 255 or nothing for me :D ... tho with the current downward trend on 172 value plus the growing cost of my house extension ...

VaVa

lol... just kidding m8.... Ive driven all three..... in my experience the new ones are no-less rattly than the old ones!!

(and for the recored, I prefered the Cup!)

CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP CUP, CUP, CUP ,CUP :)

I own a cup and as much as i love the ride, i wonder if i would have been better off with the sport, as i really missed aircon the other day, the leather seats are nice too in the sport.

If the sports are going for less than the cups, i would probably bias towards the sport, its not far behind in terms of speed, and like the lads say you could always add a few cup parts - wheels etc...

Elise/VX220/R26

I think the cups look better and are better value for money but I wouldnt swap the 172, for the marginal performance difference Id rather have the aircon, seats and especially ABS

Id go for a 172 all day everyday.

I thought about going for a cup, but like what has been said about the toys, if you have never had them you will never miss them, so the same can be said about the performance.

Just for the record, a more modded cup ran 0.1 seconds faster than my 172 at pod a while back. I am quite happy having climate, leather and xenons for 0.1s!!!

Buy my 172!!!!!!!! £8k!!!!!!

tbh, a 172 in the cup blue with all the luxuries of aircon and leather.. dont need abs, never had it heh. i struggle to lock the cup up and the cornering is great, just a shame about the normal ride comfort on it..

anyways, id have the 172 sport over the cup given the choice

Embarrassed to say

Cup is the best thing since sliced bread. If your coming from a williams there really is no other car for you although id choose a new williams over a new cup any day.

Just make sure you get some sought of inspection on it, because alot of them have been tracked(its a crime not too though but make sure its had no major off.) And dont get the group n ecu its a waste of money, the car will get quicker with more miles and still maintain the good mpg.

If you want luxury get a cheap auto beater as a second car even.