ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup probs-can reno fix

I have the following probs with my cup and would like to know if anyone has had any of these fixed by the dealer or if I should just tolerate them.

1. creaking/knocking from suspension/steering during low speed manoeuvres (doing u-turns etc.)

2. A vibration at around 4000 revs. (the infamous 4k rattle?) quite annoying when cruising on the motorway at 80 m.p.h. I understand from previous threads that this is an exhaust box. Does the problem re-occur with a new box?

3. seems to be ticking over a little low, round about 500 rpm once warm, just sounds uneven.

4. doesnt seem to pull as cleanly from low revs as it used to. Could be a dirty air filter but should this have been replaced at 12k service? (current mileage 18k)

5. doesnt start first time sometimes. seems like an immobiliser problem as it will start if i turn the ignition off and back on again, or pause for about 5 secs before turning the key to position 3.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Pugboy

Number 1 is the strut mount top modifiction. There is an ACTIS bullitin for this at your local Renault dealer and they should be quite aware of it.

Cant comment on number 2

Number 3 dosent sound like anything to worry about, they all tick over a little uneven.

4 The filter will or should have been replaced, should show the interval in the maintainance book. Cant really comment further, but a new set of plugs may help with this.

Number five sounds like a dealer needs to check it out

Hope this helps

172, Tiguan

Best you do a search.

Mine is in having problem 1 sorted today, and ive just found out that its having the problem sorted tomorrow as well..............

gotta love the 1.2 8v curtesy cars though!

im removing the brake pedal to save weight.

Nippy white cup

I dont think number 5 is a prob. Mine does it sometimes if I try to turn the key all the way with out pausing. I usually turn the ignition on, put my seatbelt on, then start the engine, a bit like with a diesel really.

Chris

1. Engine mounts I think?

2. 4k rattle. Buy a cat-back sports exhaust :)

3. Sounds low to me - some sort of sensor problem?

4. Check the service guide. Dirty air filter would affect top end more than low down response. Could be linked to number 3.

5. Check the owners manual. Im sure it says to turn the elctrics on, wait a few seconds, then fire up. You need to give the electrics chance to set themselves up.

Sounds like you need the ecu software update or maybe just a reset, I believe it addresses a couple of those issues.

Only heard about it one here, not sure when it was meant to be released. however lots of people have had bad running probs solved with a simple ecu reset.

Got an answer for a couple of your problems

The 4K rattle is either the exhaust or, as it was on mine, the wiring to the lamda sensor on the exhaust, took it in and they did if for me there and then...

The start up problem is pretty common, they updated the software in the ECU for me and it has been good ever since.

The low speed creaks and growns are the same as mine but I have had no luck with those yet.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Pugboy on 26 February 2004

I have the following probs with my cup and would like to know if anyone has had any of these fixed by the dealer or if I should just tolerate them.

1. creaking/knocking from suspension/steering during low speed manoeuvres (doing u-turns etc.)

2. A vibration at around 4000 revs. (the infamous 4k rattle?) quite annoying when cruising on the motorway at 80 m.p.h. I understand from previous threads that this is an exhaust box. Does the problem re-occur with a new box?

3. seems to be ticking over a little low, round about 500 rpm once warm, just sounds uneven.

4. doesnt seem to pull as cleanly from low revs as it used to. Could be a dirty air filter but should this have been replaced at 12k service? (current mileage 18k)

5. doesnt start first time sometimes. seems like an immobiliser problem as it will start if i turn the ignition off and back on again, or pause for about 5 secs before turning the key to position 3.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Pugboy
1. get the strut top mount modification works on some cars.

2. Ye thats the famous (infamous) 4k rattle.

3. My 172 revs at 750rpm when warm so sounds a little slow. Get it checked out at Renault.

4. Check the filter anyway although a clogged filter is more likely to affect high rpms when it requires more air.

5. Ask renault to replace the immoboliser reader ring around ignition barrel .

Volvo S60 T5

Where abouts you live, if you live in portsmouth you can get me to sort it out for you at the dealer I work for.

All common faults, no real hassle to fix.

As to the ecu reset, I have done this and it does seem to make a fair bit of differance to the way the car runs, another member on the club gets me to sort his cup out for him, he seems very pleased with my work.:D

Air filter isnt replaced until 24K. Doubt the fault is down to this.

Probably isnt a fault - youve just got used to the throttle response and it doesnt feel as urgent. (seriously!! It happened to me)