ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup racer rear suspention

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Would 182 cup racer rears bolt straight on to a Mk2 Ph2 172?
And what about the fronts, guess those not as they normallt arn't the same, or am i wrong?

Please enlighten me

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Okaay, thanks mate.

I guess H&R fronts with cup racer rears will work really well, and i can get my hands on a set for cheap, so i'll give it a try

Worth looking at some form of strengthening around the rear damper mounts as with a Cup racer setup these become the main suspension pickup point and as such carry a fair whack more load.

Can't remember how the Mk2 cup dampers mount to the rear beam - they're spherical bearing bottom link IIRC so you may have to weld the mounting boss to the beam if a suitable one isn't there.

I know Yoz ran with them with no probs but IIRC he had a harness bar welded across the rear turrets which I would assume had a bit of additional bracing around the strut top/damper mount - Fred will know. He'll be along in a minute.

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
I'm quite the problem solver so adjusting the mounting points wont be such a problem, i'll figure something out anyway, thanks for letting me know the weak points though

The rears have a omp strutbrace on them atm, but i'm workin on a Y shaped strutbrace for the rear, to go with the omp one, so stresses are more spread across the car

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
does this help?

untitled.jpg

I'm quite the problem solver so adjusting the mounting points wont be such a problem, i'll figure something out anyway, thanks for letting me know the weak points though

The rears have a omp strutbrace on them atm, but i'm workin on a Y shaped strutbrace for the rear, to go with the omp one, so stresses are more spread across the car

No problem. On the Cup race cars the rear section of the roll cage bolted to the top of rear damper mounts and carried part of the rear suspension load. Obviously in the road car you don't have this ;-)

Worth bearing in mind that rear strut braces on cars with solid beam rear suspension don't tend to make a great deal of difference. The beam itself carries most of the load and the shell just 'sits' on it. In comparison an IRS setup will tend to see the body forming the main link between the rear wheels. Take it to extremes and you may be able to stop deflection in the beam mounting points twisting the beam on the car but the amount of load required to do that is fairly huge and not what I'd expect to see in any amount that would effect things in a road or track car.

To put it another way you're bracing an area of the shell between the damper points in an attempt to stop them moving......... when the dampers themselves are on spherical bearings/compliant bushes ;-)

Cheers
M

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
No problem. On the Cup race cars the rear section of the roll cage bolted to the top of rear damper mounts and carried part of the rear suspension load. Obviously in the road car you don't have this ;-)

Worth bearing in mind that rear strut braces on cars with solid beam rear suspension don't tend to make a great deal of difference. The beam itself carries most of the load and the shell just 'sits' on it. In comparison an IRS setup will tend to see the body forming the main link between the rear wheels. Take it to extremes and you may be able to stop deflection in the beam mounting points twisting the beam on the car but the amount of load required to do that is fairly huge and not what I'd expect to see in any amount that would effect things in a road or track car.

To put it another way you're bracing an area of the shell between the damper points in an attempt to stop them moving......... when the dampers themselves are on spherical bearings/compliant bushes ;-)

Cheers
M

don't mean to butt in mate but the rear of the car is bolted to the wheel arch rather than the top of the damper mounts

don't mean to butt in mate but the rear of the car is bolted to the wheel arch rather than the top of the damper mounts

Nope you've lost me. If you mean the rear beam then it has two primary pivot points under the car which are mounted with either compliant bushes or spherical bearings (either of which allow an amount of movement/deflection between beam and shell). The spring and damper on the road car are a seperate unit with seperate mountings whereas on the track car a single coil over style damper is used per side with the rear beam making up the lower link and the standard damper mount making up the upper link.

You can see what I mean on this pic (nicked from Yozza's site)
ys_workshop_m_001.JPG

Where they've unbolted the rear dampers and removed the springs (lower spring platforms visible on the rear beam) and the beam is hanging on the pivots.

On the cup race car the lower spring platforms on the beam aren't used to carry any of the load and the rear damper mountings are used to mount a coilover type spring/damper.

Cheers
M

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
@Lee, thanks for the pic, perfect.

@Icarus, As i can see in Lee's pic, the balljoint could be taken off, so i'll just replace that with a normal rubber attachment, so it'll work on the same principle as normal suspention. Thus no worries about the whole thing rattling to bits

Lionel Richie
yeah as Lee says the roll cage in the MK2 cup race bolted to the arch, NOT the suspension mount

the mk2 racers were stock RS shells with a cage in them (i'm keeping it simple here) the rear suspension mounting point remained stock, we ran cup racer rear shocks on the stock rear points for 10K miles, no problems, apart from the odd snapped lower joint (twating it across the curbs sideways :D)

cup racer rear shocks, bilstein front stock coilovers, the best setup on a road going track clio ever!

word of warning though, they are race units, and are NOT designed for road use, costed my £40 per month in chiropractor visits (and i'm being serious!)

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Nope you've lost me. If you mean the rear beam then it has two primary pivot points under the car which are mounted with either compliant bushes or spherical bearings (either of which allow an amount of movement/deflection between beam and shell). The spring and damper on the road car are a seperate unit with seperate mountings whereas on the track car a single coil over style damper is used per side with the rear beam making up the lower link and the standard damper mount making up the upper link.

You can see what I mean on this pic (nicked from Yozza's site)
ys_workshop_m_001.JPG

Where they've unbolted the rear dampers and removed the springs (lower spring platforms visible on the rear beam) and the beam is hanging on the pivots.

On the cup race car the lower spring platforms on the beam aren't used to carry any of the load and the rear damper mountings are used to mount a coilover type spring/damper.

Cheers
M

sorry as fred says i ment the rear of the cage. doh lol

yeah as Lee says the roll cage in the MK2 cup race bolted to the arch, NOT the suspension mount

the mk2 racers were stock RS shells with a cage in them (i'm keeping it simple here) the rear suspension mounting point remained stock, we ran cup racer rear shocks on the stock rear points for 10K miles, no problems, apart from the odd snapped lower joint (tw*ting it across the curbs sideways :D)

cup racer rear shocks, bilstein front stock coilovers, the best setup on a road going track clio ever!

word of warning though, they are race units, and are NOT designed for road use, costed my £40 per month in chiropractor visits (and i'm being serious!)

I've got a Matter cage that's not a Clio cup cage then. Bugger - does anyone want a Mk2 cage? Might be an S1600 one but will need to get RS Competition book out tomorrow and check.

"don't mean to butt in mate but the rear of the car is bolted to the wheel arch rather than the top of the damper mounts "

Cage not car then - makes more sense ;-) As you were.

Cheers
M

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
DSC00592.jpg

not sure if you can see the rear part of the cage from my crappy phone pic but you can see where the it bolts to the wheel arch just before the mount. where does yours mount to?

Lionel Richie
yes i need a cage for the dynacup mate!!! its mine! (as long as you sort out a price on an S6Q!!! hurry the f**k up!!!! ;);))

Top of the shock same as an X85 cage. It's also got gusseted diaganols on the rear section and from memory I think some slightly different PAS side intrusion protection.

Hence why I've suddenly twigged it might be an S1600 cage........... can I tempt you with a different cage? Do you a swap LOL

Cheers
M

yes i need a cage for the dynacup mate!!! its mine! (as long as you sort out a price on an S6Q!!! hurry the f**k up!!!! ;);))

Relax, I'm on the motherf**ker, I'm sending the Wolf ;-) Will bell you tomorrow.

Not got a Cup cage have you? Been piecing together a Mk2 spares package and the one bit the chap was really desperate for I appear to now have wrong LOL

Going to have to measure it up - probably a cocking Logan Cup one! :(

Cheers
M

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
haha no mate its all in and alot of the car is back together. yea the cup racer one has basically no passenger protection i.e the right hand seat. is your car right hand drive?

It's going in a LHD car that's being built to mostly Cup racer spec in Bulgaria. Sod it might just tell him I've got him a 'better' one ;-)

Cheers
M