ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup to williams

clio 172 cup
as the thread ive just read im also looking at buying a house. now i could sell my cup and buy a williams and it would free up a fair bit of cash so im seriously thinking about it anyone done the swap if so what you think to it

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
there are quite a few ppl that have done this. i think the best to chat to is yeecup. he know has a mint williams 3

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
pop over on williamsclio mate, u will get loads of advice on there.

www.williamsclio.co.uk

join the forum. but in general anywhere from 1500 to 4000 imo. some are up for more but i wouldnt myself pay anymore than 3750-3800 ish.

Last edited:
i swapped from a mint 13k cup to a pretty much mint 78k williams and have never looked back i dont want to start a flame war but there aint anything in it speed wise as i sold the cup to a good friend of mine and we have tested ;) and its a much better driving experience, in my opinion anyway. Bit harder to live with, i see my old cup everyday and i dont think i made a mistake. Id say go for it

step over to www.williamsclio.co.uk great bunch of lads on there

may seem like i contradicted myself in that post but when i say harder to live with i mean abit creakier louder etc lol a little less refined but sooooo worth it

rob172cup said:
as the thread ive just read im also looking at buying a house. now i could sell my cup and buy a williams and it would free up a fair bit of cash so im seriously thinking about it anyone done the swap if so what you think to it

it's false economy, I'd not if I were you. great cars, dont get me wrong, but if you have just bought a house you wont want to be spending money fixing an old car... they all go wrong unfortunately at 13 years old. apart from that though you'd be buying a much more fun car

BMW E46 330i Touring
You wouldn't save much on insurance, so you'd only be freeing up about £2k in cash I'd have thought mate, plus increased maintenance costs.

If money is this tight (and I only say this because it is for me also at the moment), maybe you're not ready to buy a house yet mate. I'm just not sure how far the savings would stretch when you're talking about property...

that's a point, Cup is group 16-17 and Willy is 17-18... no idea what difference there would be, but my next car is group 19-20 and it's almost double for insurance lol

aah, well if it's only a weekend toy you have nothing to worry about then. i'd go for it in that case, just make sure it has a strong engine, it should pull fairly hard from about 3k and kick again at about 4'5k and make sure you find where the limiter is incase it's modded and being advertised as standard.

I use my Williams everyday..

It went bang twice last year.. :D Second one left my gearbox all over the road.. mmmmm.

Love it.. ;)

But, now it's all fixed, it's sooooooooo nice.

Snotter's
As much as i love the williams from a financial point of view it doesnt make sense,you may free up £3k but you will have an older less reliable car that costs more to run.

LY 200
^^^Ditto, my hybrid was reliable but then like you i barely used it during the week.

Aslong as its warmed up before going fast and its not a thrashed dog in the first place then i dont see the problem.

My Williams is as mint as it left the factory 12 years ago. I've had it almost 3 years now and not had any problems with it (though ive been through tyres and brakes like no ones busniness!!), 30 mpg on avergage and use it everyday, currently paying only £390 per year fully comp with breakdown coverage and it looks the bees knees (I've always thought the Williams looks sooooooo much better than the 172 / 182). If that aint great motoring I dont know what is!!!!!!

Trophy
I went from a Cup to a Williams due to house purchase and the car has been nothing but outstanding, just make sure you get a good one.

Mat.

williams and trophy
as above...take your time looking for one....get a good un and the time spent looking will repay you many times over.

iv had mine over 4 years now..never had a major issue , apart from the kent cams lettin go, but thats nothing to do with the willys build quality......also....mine has hardly any squeeks rattles etc, is a lot quieter in that way than the mrs' 51 plate dci, and quite a few other newer clios iv bin in.

BMW E46 330i Touring
matbrown, how much money did you free up by changing to a Williams? Even ignoring maintenance and servicing, I wouldn't have thought it would give you much extra to play with...

clio 172 cup
with me its the fact im still paying for the cup i could sell my cup pay off what i owe and use my savings to get the williams freeing up 264 a month but its still only an idea and there would be other cars around the 3k mark to look at aswell

rob172cup said:
with me its the fact im still paying for the cup i could sell my cup pay off what i owe and use my savings to get the williams freeing up 264 a month but its still only an idea and there would be other cars around the 3k mark to look at aswell

Im in the same boat as you mate... thinking about moving out selling the 172 and getting a cheaper car to run. Personally I wouldnt get a Williams to start off with, I would get a newer basic car that is more reliable and less likley to suprise you with a nasty repair bill, once you have bought your house and settled in for a year, think about getting a better car.
Im looking along the lines of a 1.4 Clio... not fast but will get me to work and back relatively cheaply.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ah, I see. Well that makes sense but, as above, I wouldn't get something like a Williams. It would probably work out better getting some cheap to buy, run and insure so you can really save some money, and then go back into hot hatch heaven when things have settled down a bit.

Trophy
acrebo said:
matbrown, how much money did you free up by changing to a Williams? Even ignoring maintenance and servicing, I wouldn't have thought it would give you much extra to play with...

I sold my Cup for £10,500 and got the williams for £4,500.

Mat.

Mat's also is VERY cheap to run.

I'd say, £20 worth of petrol in the last year? Probably less... his is a special Williams ;)

Because I use mine every day of the year, I have difference experiences :p

clio 172 cup
ive decided to wait til i find a house then make my mind up after all could be a while before i find the house i want where i want ill keep you posted

rob172cup said:
ive decided to wait til i find a house then make my mind up after all could be a while before i find the house i want where i want ill keep you posted

Wise choice :)

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
I'm obviously not alone in thinking of the same sort of swap. Thinking of moving my cup on and going down the Williams route to spare up some dosh for a two wheeled project. Tried williamsclio to have a look round but seems to be down at the moment. Can anyone tell me if there any key differences in the 3 Williams models or is there a preferred model to go for?

My list of differences between the Clio 16v and Williams1/2/3.

Williams 1, 2 & 3 Differences

Standard For All Williams Models

* Oval Plate number for Williams is C57M. The 16v is C57D.
* 150bhp, 2.0 16v Engine.
* Wider Front Track than the 16v, Uprated Suspension front and rear than the 16v.
* Williams Badges on Rear Arches and Tailgate. Williams 1 says "Williams", Williams 2 says "Williams 2" and Williams 3 says "Williams 3"
* Williams sill plate in black
* Gold wheels with the silver rim - the same wheels across all Williams'.
* Williams Stitched interior with lumbar support and height adjustment
* Blue Seat Belts
* Carry Case attached to Parcel Shelf
* No Brake Coolers like found on the 16v
* Blue Dials (Speedo, Rev Counter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Oil Level, Coolant Temperature)
* Blue Gear Knob
* Blue Carpet in main cabin area
* Slightly larger than 16v, colour-coded rear tailgate spoiler
* Electric Windows, Power Steering, Central Locking
* Oil Cooler fitted, the 16v didn't have one
* Uprated front subframe than the clio 16v subframe

Clio Williams 1 - Produced 1993/94 (L) - 390 Manufactured for the UK

* Based on the Mk1, Phase1 Clio's. (1991 - 1994)
* Small Bump Strips, 2.0 badge round side repeaters
* Flat looking rear lights with black plastic strip
* Badges (Renault and Clio) are on the boot strip.
* Slated Front Non Colour-coded Grill
* Phase1 16v Mirrors but manually controlled
* Phase1 Heater Controls
* Blue Carpet throughout including boot carpet!
* All were Sports Blue (449)
* Only 4" Dash Speakers in front (no rear speakers)
* Plaque to show number of car (as limited run)
* Williams Badges are an Outline, and not filled.

Clio Williams 2 - Produced 1994/95 (M) - 482 Manufactured for the UK

* Based on the Mk1, Phase2 Clio's. (1994 - 1996)
* Larger, more rounded bump strips - with 2.0 badges
* More Rounded Rear Lights and Boot Strip to match
* Badges (Renault and Clio) are on the tailgate now.
* Colour Coded, different style Grill
* Phase2 Electric/Heated Mirrors
* Phase2 Heater Controls
* Again, All Sports Blue 449.
* Only 4" Dash Speakers in front (no rear speakers)
* Revised Williams Stickers

Clio Williams 3 - Produced 1995/96 (N) - 308 Manufactured for the UK

* Based on the Williams 2 (Mk1, Phase2 Clio)
* Electric door mirrors
* Introduction of door speakers (5 1/4")
* Introduction of rear 4" speakers
* Change of colour to Monoco Blue (432)
* ABS as standard
* Electric Sunroof as standard
* Williams badges seem a brighter gold and a deeper blue infill.
* Blaupunkt headunit & Steering Wheel Stereo Control
* Revised Dashboard illumination
* Revised Williams Stickers again