ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Tyres

My Cup has just gone past the 2500 miles mark and Im slightly concerned to see the front tyres are already showing quite noticeable wear..... I use the car mainly for motorway driving and also a bit of dual carraige way and roundabout action and like to give it a fair bit of welly when traffic permits. Would like to know what sort of mileage one should expect from the factory continentals and also what, if any are the problems if you swap fronts with backs?

One other thing, was sitting in doors a few weeks back and looked out to see some huge hail stones crashing down... felt this was unusual at the time!! Anyway, gave my car a good polish at the weekend only to notice the roof and bonnet have a dozen or more very small dents!!! Can you believe that!! the good news is, my friend who has an RB5 Scoob just down the road also suffered the same fate!!! I guess it adds character to the car though still a bit piss*d off!!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I changed mine at about 11k too...they could have gone another 1,000 or so, but I wanted a fresh set for a track-day.

Swapping front to rear? Many people will tell you not to do it, but if youre comfortable with controlling the car should you get a little lift-off-oversteer due to reduced rear-end grip, then theres really no reason not to. To even out tyre wear Ive been doing it for years...

I swapped my fronts with the rear at around a 8000 or so miles and since then the fronts (old backs) still have loads of life left and im just over 11000. TBH i havent noticed a huge difference in the handling of the car since the change, if anything ive pushed the car more since. Ive done this on all previous cars as i couldnt afford to replace fronts so often. But then as markcup says its up to you and how you feel about doing this.

my fronts and rears were ready for changing after 9k, thats without a front to back swap! :oops: What can i say, i like to drive her hard! To be honest the fronts were only just legal, and the rears had less than a 1k left on them, so i just decided to go for 4 new ones.

I went for Uniroyal rainsports, and although they give great grip in the wet and pretty good grip in the dry, and a lot less tramlining than the contis they are a b**ch at motorway speeds, feels like im driving on Jelly. Think thats to do with soft sidewalls. Its a bit of a scary experience when you first notice it.

Max

I think you guys need to have a play with your tyre pressures - I normally have about 34/32 or 36/33 in eagle f1s cos of the softer sidewalls.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Ive removed my fronts this weekend just gone. Purchased another set of contis for the rear and put the wheels that were on the rear onto the front. If your fronts are too worn, then they wont displace water very well (even on the back) and you could be risking it a little, although I dont know how worn they are!

Cup 172

Where is the cheapest place to get hold of 2 Conti Sport Contacts for the CUP. 195/45 R16 80V. Cheapest so far is mytyres.co.uk at £57.50 each. Is that a good price? Anyone get cheaper than that?

Cheers

Get your Alignment Checked - bad allignment will cause "unatural" tyre wear

If your doing mainly motorway your tyres shouldnt be wearing, fast cornering and lots of fast urban speeding will.

Weeman sucks ****

I got 12k from my first set of contis and 6-7k from the second front set, the original rears could have done 20k easy. If you dont plan to swap brand then you might aswell leave the rears where they are. Cups are so light at the rear theyll never wear out.

Also had F1s on briefly and Im sure they would have gone even quicker!! My current contis have done about 27-28k miles and the fronts are still ok even after a trackday...cant grumble.

Plus, theyre SOOOO easy to get squeeling on the round abouts its funny, the looks I get off some people:eek:

Ford Fiesta

cant do much about hail can we, mind cant see it been that often that it is enough to leave marks on cars, maybe I am wrong though.

172, Tiguan

Just ordered 2 new Contis from mytyres that are the exact same spec as the oe Cup tyres.

Ive come to the conclusion that the Clio was set up using the Contis, so why change them?

Thanks for all the feedback people!! lets Face it, £57.50 each has to be worth it when you put things in perspective. I had feared new tyres would set me back no less than £100!!! Reckon I shall continue with generous application of the right foot from now on!!! Only wish there was a way of getting cheaper fuel....!!:(

I had the Contis on my 172. Only got 8k miles out of them. Have recently changed to TOYO PROXYS T-1S. MUCH better in the dry. interesting in the wet!!! Got 12k miled out of them on the front and they cost me £55 a corner. Look cool too.

Currently trying out the Toyo T-1R. Seem alot quieter and better wet grip and are supposed to last longer.

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 23 August 2004

I changed mine at about 11k too...they could have gone another 1,000 or so, but I wanted a fresh set for a track-day.

Swapping front to rear? Many people will tell you not to do it, but if youre comfortable with controlling the car should you get a little lift-off-oversteer due to reduced rear-end grip, then theres really no reason not to. To even out tyre wear Ive been doing it for years...

Lift off oversteer is a a side effect, not a driving technique. If it happens, its just the driver who cannot drive so i would see no problem in swapping front to backs. My backs look like new after 15k miles..

-Rob

172, Tiguan

Only downside in swapping backs with fronts is you end up buying 4 tyres instead of 2 eventually.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 August 2004

Lift off oversteer is a a side effect, not a driving technique.
I actually see it as a technique Rob, perhaps not one best used for the road, but definitely a driving "technique" nonetheless.

On track, I like the ability to carry a higher turn-in speed at entry, knowing that a slight lift combined with some corrective lock, and balance on the throttle will get you out the other side :D

Mark

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

i change my tyres every 4000 miles, there usually warped by then, original contis lasted the same as eagle f1s for me...