ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cupra-R scalps 182 Cup....

MINI JCW

I totally disagree that a standard LCR would blitz a 182. According to Autocar

0-60 0-100 30-70 through gears Top Speed

182 6.3 17.0 5.8 138

LCR 6.5 18.0 6.0 141

Top speed of a Cupra R is 150mph book figure not 141 mph as youve stated. Like all cars the speedo goes way beyond this and standard cupra Rs are capable of 160mph. 0-60 seems about correct and 0-100 is 17.0 not 18.0

And no way does a 182 do a 6.3. No other magazine has came close to this! Evo only quote a 6.8. Autocar and the 182 ill say no more. Just look at the article it had last week for instance.

The results in autocar show the 210 car not the 225.

And believe me when i say an LCR would blitz a 182 through the gears. 80+.

It leaves the CTR trailing after 100 and the CTR leaves a 182 trailing after 100 so work it out yourself.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I like both cars but 6k more for not a lot of performance would sway me towards the clio...I do agree the 225 should pull away a higher speeds but how often would you get the chance in this country,

Given a choice i would rather own a car that did 100 mph and get there in 10 seconds than one that did 170mph because you couldnt use it as much

ian

MINI JCW

You are only believing what you want to believe, Evo got the 182 to 60 in 6.6 and that was in the wet.

I think the LCR would start to pull away from the 182 after 100mph+ and it should do its about 5 grand more expensive, but blitz it, i dont think so

Doesnt really matter that much too me becuase i dont drive at them speeds

MEGANE

Did about 5 laps around oulton park yesterday(172 cup) with a cupra r trying to catch me nothing in it. P.S seat was pushing out 240 BHP.

Ian, its not just 6K for 45bhp more mate.

Its a lot more, ie 18 alloys and 4 pot brembos. A full size 18 alloy spare. Climate and air con/recaro interior/6 sp box/150mph top end/tracker/6 box cd with excellent sound.

Its the quality of the car what you pay for. The clio is a quick car but it hardly has any quality in the way it is built. The way it looks etc.

A Leon is a step up in the market from a clio. Likewise a BMW M3 is a step up in the market from an LCR and a Porsche carrerra is a step up from an M3 and so on and so on.

A clio 182 can easily match a porsche boxster in the performance stakes but the boxster is double the price. Its not all about the performance! Its the quality of the car.

I test drove a 210 LCR a while back, (Iknow that we are talking about the 225 here, but just my 2ps worth), and it was ok in a straight line. BUT it didnt handle very well compared to my Cup. Infact on the day, IRC, I called it a flying couch cause it was comfy and went fast but didnt go round corners IMO.

The 210 was about the same acceleration as my Cup, although you did get the impression of speed with the turbo and all that. Neil82Cup has access to a 210 one, so he would be best to comment. I can belive that the 225 will be be quicker than a Cup, and there for quicker than a 182. But for living in this country (especially in Scotland), you really need a fantastic cornering car. Maybe the 225 has a different suspension set up to the 210, I dont know.

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 12 December 2004

You are only believing what you want to believe, Evo got the 182 to 60 in 6.6 and that was in the wet.

I think the LCR would start to pull away from the 182 after 100mph+ and it should do its about 5 grand more expensive, but blitz it, i dont think so

6.6 in the wet? Where did you find this info?

Like i said a CTR will convincingly pull away from a 182 at speeds over 100. The end of 4th and especially 5th is sluggish in the 182. The CTR has its hard revving vtec lump along with short gears and a 6sp box and the LCR has its short geared 6sp turbo producing a shed load of torque. Because of this both cars will again blitz a 182 up at top end (110+). Its been proven many many times mate. The LCR also pulls ground on a CTR at these speeds which increases the gap over a 182 even more.

But TBH unless were across in Germany then not a lot of people get upto these speeds and beyond.

A CTR has went past me after about 120, that was after I passed him 40 - 90mph. 5th gear is poor in the NA 2ltr Clios.

Quote: Originally posted by MAC30L on 12 December 2004

But for living in this country (especially in Scotland), you really need a fantastic cornering car.
From a personal point of view i totally disagree with that mac. The handling abilities of my car never even entered my head when i bought the car, but some people do think about it. Ie car enthusiasts who buy gtis/williams etc

I mean racing through the tight twisties at 100mph or so is shear stupidity. You of course mac will know this due to your profession. I would say 95% of my driving is done in towns where 30mph limits exist and motorway and dual carriageway which are entirely straight. Out of the 2000 miles ive already clocked up on my R, i would estimate less than 50 of these miles have been on twisty country roads.

Because of this i would prefer a comfy quick straight liner. Something which an LCR is entirely suited for. Racing round country lanes doesnt flick my switch after i had a serious accident, so probably 1 of the many reasons why ive never thought about any of the clio range.

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 12 December 2004

But for living in this country (especially in Scotland), you really need a fantastic cornering car.
I mean racing through the tight twisties at 100mph or so is shear stupidity. You of course mac will know this due to your profession. Because of this i would prefer a comfy quick straight liner. Something which an LCR is entirely suited for. Racing round country lanes doesnt flick my switch after i had a serious accident, so probably 1 of the many reasons why ive never thought about any of the clio range.
fair point Mitchy, I do a bit of track driving when I get the chance, hence the reason a bought a Cup. If I had my choice, I would by a track car, but unfortunatly my salary would not accomodate that! So have have to make the Cup do both driving to work, and giving me a buzz on track.

I bet you dread RTA call outs Mac.

It cant be a pretty site. Is it generally young lads in hot hatches on country lanes or motorway bust ups?

I bet you dread RTA call outs Mac.

It cant be a pretty site. Is it generally young lads in hot hatches on country lanes or motorway bust ups?
Its generally on A or B class roads. I am about 10miles from the nearest motorway, but there are a few fast A classes round our neck of the woods. Its mainly either young guys or drunks that cause the accident, but its usually an inocent party that gets hurt or worse. To give you an idea, about 75% of RTAs that we attend involve drink. Not that we bother, cause thats the job of the cops, our job is to save lifes. And we only go to the RTAs that people are trapped, so every RTA is a working job for us.

Better shoot, works night out! Catch ya later peeps.

Mac

Oh and mitchy, get real drivers car mate ;) - sorry bud, couldnt resist.

You can quote all the performance figures you like, but in those same magazines, I wouldnt say the LCR is an award winner or comes top in road tests. So far most magazines have praised the 182, great blend of performance and most notably handling. It comes top in most reviews and even comes joint second in the latest Evo car of the year award, beating the likes of Boxters, Imprezzas, EvoVIII, VX220R etc. For me a car is more than just straight line performance, give me a twist b road any day, and I not talking about 100mph on a twisty lane, the car as the ability to entertain even at low speeds.

R

rich[182]

Will say again - No way will a std LCR "blitz" a std 182 upto the 80/90mph area. If you think that then Im interested to hear what your definition of blitz really is.

As for the 5th gear 90mph + through to max speed comparison - Does anyone care ? No way would I ever contemplate finding out other than on the autobahn or track - On British roads wanting to do those speeds is crazy IMO.

Nobody mentioned speeds of 80-90mph mate.

100-110mph and upwards and your getting close.

Plenty of people approach and go beyond these speeds on a daily basis. To keep up with the flow of traffic day to day youll be hitting 90 or so. The majority of people will plod along at near on 100 but not over, i know i do.

If the road permits and is quiet, then why not stretch further? The laws in this country are prehistoric!! I mean 70mph is bloody ridiculous. Your living in the stone age if you think the 70mph limit is adhered to.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 12 December 2004

6.6 in the wet? Where did you find this info?
i can recall this too, and i also remember it being a brand new car which they had to run in, then autocar had the car afterwards and it was just run in and they got a 6.3. I bet with a fully run in model now you will find they will touch the 6 second mark.

Plus, for my two pence worth on the LCR vs 182 discussion, I can see them being pretty much the same for legal speeds and then the LCR will pull away, but the 182 will out handle it as the leon has very intrusive ESP which doesnt help when doing a trackday

The beauty of the LCR is thw ability to turn it into a 270BHP beast without little trouble from Revo.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I test drove a 210 LCR a while back, (Iknow that we are talking about the 225 here, but just my 2ps worth), and it was ok in a straight line. BUT it didnt handle very well compared to my Cup. Infact on the day, IRC, I called it a flying couch cause it was comfy and went fast but didnt go round corners IMO.

The 210 was about the same acceleration as my Cup, although you did get the impression of speed with the turbo and all that. Neil82Cup has access to a 210 one, so he would be best to comment. I can belive that the 225 will be be quicker than a Cup, and there for quicker than a 182. But for living in this country (especially in Scotland), you really need a fantastic cornering car. Maybe the 225 has a different suspension set up to the 210, I dont know.
thats a totally new subject!;)

LCR is bound to be a better car, cant see it being quicker round a bend tho...

Also, how is an LCR a hot hatch? Its a bit big, more like best mid size hatch possibly? You never hear people go on about the Cossie being the best hot hatch ever... thats cos its not a hot hatch??

Sorry but Im getting a bit confused here......

Why are Seat owners on a Clio forum rating there own cars?

Is there not a Seat forum that they can bore the pants off people on?

Funny how they have to explain how good there cars are to people who dont drive them......

If you dont like Clios go on another forum.

LOL

Matt.

R

rich[182]

Mitchy

LCR is a great car

When people say a car would blitz another they need to state the scenario, I agree that over the ton Id expect one to pull well ahead, Below the ton and specifically upto 90ish Im simply NOT going to get blitzed by a std LCR simple as. A 182 certainly isnt.

It all comes down to definitions of blitzed, By mine it aint gonna happen PERIOD, Using your 100+ then your right, Using mine your wrong IMO to say a 182 would get blitzed.

Thats the only point I wanted to make

R26

Lol I think mitchy is itching to get down and put his lips round the exhaust of his LCR.(A word of advice Mitchy - watch you dont burn your lips)

Think he should phone the radio stations next to profess his love for the motor.

Anyway lol, Although the LCR is alot more than the clio 182 I chose the 182 cos I preferred the looks of the 182. The SEATs just dont do it for me ( my preferrance). For me cost wasnt a problem, it was down to which I preferred inc CTR, LCR etc. After all, if I fancy comfort I just get into my V70 T5 (03) which gives me comfort and pace. But for sheer driving pleasure - I have the 182. There simply aint no substitute. Plus I dont want to get out of the thing once im in it. I havent taken the Volvo out for about 2 months.

Mk2 Golf GTI

what a pathetic thread! I dont see why cost even comes into it, i could buy a lot of cars under £8000 that would absolutely trounce anything that has been posted on here (RX7, Supra TT, M3) regardless of that cost being second hand. It would still be less than what people have paid for 182s, LCRs, CTRs etc

And i dont much care that they arent in the same category as neither are the LCR and the clios.

I prefer the LCR myself as it is better put together, has great performance and looks MUCH better than a clio. Like it or not, the only clio that doesnt look like a young lads car is a V6. And yes i do own one so i think i am in the position to say.

In my opinion of course