ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cups second hand.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Has anyone else notice or is just me, there seem to be tonnes of cups for sale often on 03 plates. Ive had my 172 since April and have no intentions of chnaging. There seems to so many people selling cups with little mileage on them. Wonder why this is..........???

is it possible that after 10-11k purchase price people are missing the toys that they have been used to in a far cheaper car ? perhaps its the time of year when everyone either wants aircon of a rag top ?

Ad

MK2 FRS

Well suppose when your getting a focus RS then theres no comparison, but just suprised that people are changing them so quickly,. Its as if people have got bored. What toys do you get on cheaper cars??? I test drove a CTR and it had no extra toys than the cup and it was 15k!!!!!

Seems to me ppl who are selling after only a few thousand miles in their cups have one of two reasons for doing so:

1) they have got the hang of going fast in a great handling punchy car which is a little basic and is prone to problems which force ppl to deal with sh*te dealers, and who want to move on to the next rung of the performance/customer service ladder (eg Cup172 going for a Focus RS above)

2) they wimp out - they admit that performance is seering, but that it comes at too high a price on the comfort front; these ppl need counselling and a hug from their mum, as theyre probably very angry with themselves that they parted with their dosh before really considering what a cup would be like day-to-day. Fools.

PS, I have to confess that Ive thought about selling for both reasons above, then Ive realised that no, I am a Man and I can handle it....dealing with Renault customer service is character building stuff you know....

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Gary Brown on 25 July 2003

Seems to me ppl who are selling after only a few thousand miles in their cups have one of two reasons for doing so:

1) they have got the hang of going fast in a great handling punchy car which is a little basic and is prone to problems which force ppl to deal with sh*te dealers, and who want to move on to the next rung of the performance/customer service ladder (eg Cup172 going for a Focus RS above)

2) they wimp out - they admit that performance is seering, but that it comes at too high a price on the comfort front; these ppl need counselling and a hug from their mum, as theyre probably very angry with themselves that they parted with their dosh before really considering what a cup would be like day-to-day. Fools.

PS, I have to confess that Ive thought about selling for both reasons above, then Ive realised that no, I am a Man and I can handle it....dealing with Renault customer service is character building stuff you know....
Fools rush in etc....

I admit to not being an angel.

PS do you work for Renault marketing by any chance?:)

http://www.onzin.nl/3991/video/microsoft.mpghttp://www.onzin.nl/3991/video/microsoft.mpg

Tonnes of cups for sale?

Get em quick or youll miss out!

i see in Parkers used car guide residual prices are already the same for cups and normal 172s - wont be long before 172 is cheaper - limited editions always hold on to their value better, so dont worry cup owners!!

Quote: Originally posted by Gary Brown on 25 July 2003

I hope the second option wont apply to me!

Ive ordered a new cup but reno wouldnt let me have a 24hr test drive, sports are only allowed out with a reno rep!! So I managed to blag an hr test drive instead! The reason being I do 140 mile round trip to work and back every day, i hope it dont get too much. Im sure the back road blasting with make up for any discomfort. Hopefully.

Quote: Originally posted by compocup on 25 July 2003

Tonnes of cups for sale?

i see in Parkers used car guide residual prices are already the same for cups and normal 172s - wont be long before 172 is cheaper - limited editions always hold on to their value better, so dont worry cup owners!!
they are not limited editions of anything!!! :D

I am selling my CUP as I have too many cars at the moment. I have 5 including the CUP, Impreza, Elise, Forester S/TB and Pug Rally car.

I really love the CUP, this shows by the mods I have put on it or invested in it, so much so that I have only done about 200 miles this whole year in the Impreza and its annoying me now that theres a car sitting in the garage that Ive spent circa £32K on and its not being used.

So I decided to sell it and then realised that if I sold the CUP too, then it would be more pertinent to just get one car in replacement and that replacement being either a 996 C2 or C4 and save on insurance too!!

Ive really enjoyed the ownership, had no run-ins with Renault dealers, no warranty claims or problems with the car and can not speak highly enough of the quality for the price.

Cheers,

182CUP

Another reason may be, that there have been so many deals to be gotten on new Cups, that it is quite conceivable that you can buy one and run it for 6 months to a year and get back what you paid for it....

I think that cups fall under the "aspirational" car category. By that I mean, that a lot of people read magazine articles about the cup being "hard, a drivers car, a track day car, etc, etc" and fancy themselves as fitting that particular image. Thumbs up to Renault for having achieved that. The cup is probably the cheapest hatch you can buy that will give you that instant "racer" street cred. As you rightly say, the 172 is more expensive. So I imagine, there are loads of aspiring young/budget/mean wannabe racers out there buying cups, and youre bound to see some of them drop out after a while. Like most other things in life, driving around in a cup is a compromise, and when its hot, bumper to bumper traffic, potholes etc, some people may not be willing to compromise. Eventually the market will stabilise and the cups will mostly end up with dedicated petrolheads like me:D

personally, I chose a cup fully aware of the compromises I had to "endure" (read enjoy), and if anything Ive been accentuating some of those compromises! For my own needs (town driving + regular track use + financial ability to write it off) the cup is just perfect. If I didnt have occasional need to drop the kids at school, Id be driving a caterham.

Voila, thats my 2 cents..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Tonnes of cups for sale?Get em quick or youll miss out!i see in Parkers used car guide residual prices are already the same for cups and normal 172s - wont be long before 172 is cheaper - limited editions always hold on to their value better, so dont worry cup owners!!  
#

15th billion time.. They aint limited edition... the only limited thing about them is Renault will stop making them soon.. same goes for the 172 and every other car.. only true limited edition is less than 1000 cars with a numbered plate to prove it...

Ad

MK2 FRS

Tonnes of cups for sale?

Cant agree with this really, comparing a uk 172 with a uk Cup on a renault forecort the 172 still achieves 1k-1.5k more. 02reg 172s are fetching 10k whereas 52reg Cups are at this money. The cup is not a limited edition and has sold more in the uk this year than the 172 so in someways the cup is becoming more common.

Phillip, I think you hit the nail on the head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant agree with this really, comparing a uk 172 with a uk Cup on a renault forecort the 172 still achieves 1k-1.5k more. 02reg 172s are fetching 10k whereas 52reg Cups are at this money. The cup is not a limited edition and has sold more in the uk this year than the 172 so in someways the cup is becoming more common.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who said anything about forecourt? I was talking private. Who in their right mind is going to get ripped off by either buying or selling from a forecourt when there is so much demand?

The chances are they are now selling again is that a lot of wannabee racers are feeling the pinch with group 17 insurance perhaps?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The cup is cheaper to insure than a standard 172,although i do agree that buying a nearly new car from a forecourt is insane when youve still got years of warranty left

Im 26 dont mind the ride or the fact that I have to have windows down most of the summer. Its the second one Ive had in 7 months, the first being a lease car I loved so much wanted my own. Then the following happened:-

1) My own Cup which I paid with my very hard earnt money had a large number of faults of delivery.

2) Above faults still not sorted even thought 15 letters have been sent to various people, including trading standards.

3) Dealer not phoned me in 4 weeks even though they said they would phone me back in an Hour!!

4) The Renualt approved mods have been dropped.

5) Found an RS for sale which was branded new.]

Just sick and tired of the Renault experience, the Cup is a great car shame its made by Renualt, who then allow muppets to call themselves Renault approved dealers to sell it. I love my Cup just walked past it in the car park and it looks so good, but its all out weighted by the above.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Agree forecort prices are not the be all and end all of pricing but I stand by the fact that 172 fetch slighty more when comparing identically sourced cars- That was the point of comparison. That comparing cups to "import" 172s is not a valid comaprison as they cost similar money in the first place.

I did not find Cups cheaper to insure than a 172. Im sure the cup is a sub group higher than the 172.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Elephant quoted me £85 cheaper than the 172 i bought and stated that the cup was cheaper.It may differ for other insurance companies though,but do agree on pricing like for like as you said

Ad

MK2 FRS

Thats really wierd. I though the same as you mate originally, but directline were the company that were more. I just presumed taht it was cause of tje lack of ABS, with it being a safety feature. Strange, as you say as the Cup cost less. Will be another of those unexplanable insurance myths.

Mitsi - I dont know if there have been more faults with cups or not, but I think the widely publicised suspension knocking problem does seem to be unique to the cup - I guess its related to the different geometry settings that the cup has.

Philip - well put.