ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Curborough Sprint Course

Swift Sport
I've been a member of SDCC for a few years now, and they're the guys who run Curborough Sprint Course. The venue has grown in popularity over the years and with the tight circuit favouring good-handling cars like the Clio, I thought some of you may be interested in joining in 2015. This has to be one of the cheapest ways to enjoy your cars performance (legally!), and I've had some great days there over the past few years. @Will_bmx is already a member and @not normal dan will be joining next years antics, so if you're interested fire away with the questions. The regulars are really welcoming and friendly and there's always a good atmosphere...

Here's a quick low-down of what you might want to know...
- The circuit is just off the A38 at the Fradley Park exit, near Lichfield.
- Annual membership is £25 (this may rise, but only by a couple of quid).
- There are approximately 7 Club Afternoons for you to take your own car around the circuit, but many more events to attend.
- No helmets or safety gear needed for the Club Afternoons, but there is a sound check and your car must be road legal.
- Any car is welcome providing it's road legal. I've seen everything from Punto's to Ferrari's going round!

Here's a few pictures taken by myself...
14461233408_cb330971ee_z.png
14461252158_cf71f1d461_z.jpg
14461581627_388c9533a7_z.jpg
15717294382_bcc661882c_z.jpg
14393765658_3e3ba96cba_z.jpg
14667787993_9bb7f428ff_z.jpg

Megane r26
This place is a great little place to really enjoy some proper grass roots motorsport.

I've been attending on and off for a number of years and I have always been impressed with the wide variety of cars I've seen up hear and how a lot of them have been used in anger ;)

I've only once driven the track in my old 172 when I attended a private day up and little cars like clios are really well suited to the track

I'll defiantly be joining as a member next year after attending a few members day with @SteBurns recently.

The people I have met up there have always been very welcoming like minded enthusiasts with some awesome cars and for 25 quid?...... It's the price of a rolling road day and personally I'd of paid that to spectate the past few times for the amount of friendly people and awesome cars I've seen

182cup & 172 racecar
Last time I went, was on a Ford forum day, only 6 cars turned up, so we had plenty of goes round.
In fact, that's the day Jay decided to remove the abs fuse for a giggle, then told me to 'try it out'.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Very interested in this.
So it's £25 for membership, how much are the actual days, or is that included?! Is it basically a turn up and have a play then go home again?

Megane r26
The days are included @JoePeps you just roll up and sign in and then your put into groups and they call you group out when it's your turn.

They also switch the layout now they've had the new crossover added so it shakes it up a little.

That was like the day I went @TonyHunter a company called tegiwa rented the track and I went up, they were a little miffed when my clio was not far behind there 400bhp evo estate haha

Swift Sport
Agreed. You definitely don't need big power to be quick at Curborough. It's surprising how hard you can push on such a small circuit.

Swift Sport
Craig can tell you the optimum cornering speed of any bend on any circuit anywhere in the world at any given time.

In any language.

Swift Sport
When's the next meeting Ste? Wouldn't mind popping along to have a butchers
Boxing Day mate. I've started the thread now to encourage people to join next year, rather than halfway through the year when half the meetings have already happened lol.

Swift Sport
So it's £25 for 7 days?

That seems way too cheap. How is it run?
I'd imagine the overheads are much lower than 'proper' trackdays... There's a couple of marshals and first aiders and that's it. There is a burger bar though :up:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds great fun!! Would love to give the MX5 a run up there. Shame its 1hr 45 away. We have a sprint course near us - do a lot of them have these sort of arrangements?

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Have they improved the toilet facilities at Curborough yet? Last time I competed there( in 2006) they were nothing short of disgusting.

Swift Sport
That sounds great fun!! Would love to give the MX5 a run up there. Shame its 1hr 45 away. We have a sprint course near us - do a lot of them have these sort of arrangements?
I'm not sure dude... At Curborough there a 3 types of day...
- A Sprint Day, where people compete in a championship. Racing licenses and regulation safety gear are required.
- A Members Day, where members of the SDCC can come along and drive their cars on the circuit. No helmets etc.
- Private Days, where an individual or organisation have hired the venue for themselves. As a member you're welcome to spectate for free.

Here's a typical Sprint Day...
15104358013_b9358e699c_c.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
We were going to do a Burpspeed day there, instead of a track day, but there was too many restrictions on car numbers etc to make it worthwhile. Shame, as it could have been fun and a little different.

BMW 118d MSport
Hi all. I've been going up Curborough for a good few years, both to the track afternoons and in the last few years competing in the sprints. I have even been a committee member for a couple of years.

The track is run by the Shenstone & District Car Club. The track afternoons are including in the membership price (the club has stupidly low overheads and is run by volunteers). There are a few rules though for the club afternoons: you have to drive the car to the circuit and be fully road legal, you have to pass a noise test (set at 105dB I think...) and you can't wear helmets. As long as you're a member, you sign on at the right time and have the quick briefing (i.e. don't drive like an idiot, you're probably not insured and the only people here to help you are volunteers and none of them are paramedics...that kind of thing) then you're good to go. It's first come, first served, so once all the slots are filled...

You will see all sorts of cars up there from knackered old bangers to GTRs, Audi R8s and Ferraris

If, like me, you got the bug for it, you can move on to competing. There is a sprint championship run by the club or you can use your membership to join other championships. The sprints are run under MSA rules, so you'll need an MSA licence (no test, costs about £40) helmet, overalls and gloves and a few bits and pieces on your car (nothing permanent) and each sprint has an entry fee to cover medical, rescue and marshalling costs (this are typically £80-100 at Curborough, depending on the club running the sprint). Shenstone Car Club can loan you the gear for a sprint if you fancy having a go

I started sprinting a few years back. It's brilliant and the Clio is really competitive in the standard car class. It seems nobody sussed this for a few years with me and one or two others regularly running against the others, but this year there have been about 4 or 5 Clios entered in each of the sprints (gutted coz I didn't enter any this year as I was away travelling...but I'll be back next year for sure!)

If you want to know more, I'd be happy to answer...but take a look at www.curborough.com for more info.

Cheers
Matt

Swift Sport
Thanks, Matt... You're the fella with the black Clio am I right? I think I've been out with you before on the Sprinting Intro day.

Swift Sport
how havn't I heard of this place?
Steve, pm me some info :smile:
What do you want to know? The next official day is on Boxing Day which you're all welcome to come and have a look. If you like what you see then you can join up for 2015 :up:

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
found the website a bit confusing (mobile version)
so is it £25 a year, 7 meetings to take your car round the track and then the proper sprint events you can enter if you feel like it?
sounds quality if I've read it right.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You goin on boxing day Ste? I might pop down for a look depending on family commitments

Would love something like this near me! Since my 1st track day I'm itching to drive the car properly again. This is too far for me. Looks spot on though.

Anyone know of any groups/clubs like this in south Wales area?