ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cursed, Unlucky, or Lucky?

Black R27, 205gti
Some people are too quick to post without reading my first post.

Nero is correct, door had been resprayed, only when Renault took door trimmings off, they found the door was originally Red. This led them to believe the car door had been replaced. They inspected further to find the chassis had been welded (which had started to rust) This could only be seen once panels/trim were removed.

I was calm, amicable and professional from start to finish. I didnt shout at the dealer (he probably didnt know himself) but i put trust in the dealer to provide me with a good, cleam example. I don't want to pay full wack for a vehicle that has been crashed (not just a "bump" but severe enough to warrent to chassis being welded)

I contacted the finance company and kept them in the "loop" with all paperwork. They said if i had difficulty with the dealer they would step in on my behalf. However the finance have no business with the value of my p/x, thats between me and the dealer.

I have read the SOGA 1973, i know where i stand.

I created this thread to warn people that when they think they are buying a car from a repuatable dealer to take extra precautions that this doesnt happen to them.

To be honest I've probably been lucky, as the whole situation could have got a ALOT more messy.

Nero is correct, door had been resprayed, only when Renault took door trimmings off, they found the door was originally Red. This led them to believe the car door had been replaced. They inspected further to find the chassis had been welded (which had started to rust) This could only be seen once panels/trim were removed.

I was calm, amicable and professional from start to finish. I didnt shout at the dealer (he probably didnt know himself) but i put trust in the dealer to provide me with a good, cleam example. I don't want to pay full wack for a vehicle that has been crashed (not just a "bump" but severe enough to warrent to chassis being welded)

I contacted the finance company and kept them in the "loop" with all paperwork. They said if i had difficulty with the dealer they would step in on my behalf. However the finance have no business with the value of my p/x, thats between me and the dealer.

I created this thread to warn people that when they think they are buying a car from a repuatable dealer to take extra precautions that this doesnt happen to them.

To be honest I've probably been lucky, as the whole situation could have got a ALOT more messy.

so what position are you currently in?

and what is going to happen from here?

Black R27, 205gti
so what position are you currently in?

and what is going to happen from here?

I dont really have much choice now. The garage dealt with the problem and took the car back from me. However they have sold my p/x car in the mean time, which leaves me with 4500 for a car worth £5.5k ish? I cant go out and buy the same quality car as my old 182 for £4500. That makes me feel slightly robbed.

I probably wont take things further, hopefully the garage has learnt a lession to make due they PDI every car they get in stock to a higher standard, and i have learnt a lesson to get a full comprehensive car check done before i buy any new vehicle.

Black R27, 205gti
I wont say what garage it is, as I dont want to make this situation any worse than what it is. I hope we can all move on and learn out lessons. You never know I may give them my business again in the future for the right vehicle.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I still think the sale price of your old car has a great relevence in getting a fair deal back - The pistonheads links above giving the values help indicate why.

Your call, but no point crying about it on here if you aren't prepared to challenge and fight for your 200 GBP back as a minimum (full refund) ;)

I dont really have much choice now. The garage dealt with the problem and took the car back from me. However they have sold my p/x car in the mean time, which leaves me with 4500 for a car worth £5.5k ish? I cant go out and buy the same quality car as my old 182 for £4500. That makes me feel slightly robbed.

I probably wont take things further, hopefully the garage has learnt a lession to make due they PDI every car they get in stock to a higher standard, and i have learnt a lesson to get a full comprehensive car check done before i buy any new vehicle.
so you've created this thread to build up awareness of something most enthusiasts know?

dont you think its rather silly of you to say you wont take things further when you've been told that the car has been sold for £4700 despite me posting the advert for your old car for 6k?

to an extent you're reminding me of maz.

I still think the sale price of your old car has a great relevence in getting a fair deal back - The pistonheads links above giving the values help indicate why.

Your call, but no point crying about it on here if you aren't prepared to challenge and fight for your 200 GBP back as a minimum ;)
exactly

Black R27, 205gti
NTH,

I posted on here when i got back from the garage (heat of the moment maybe? Probably)

My MAIN aim was to make people aware of when things can go bad if you place trust in somebodys word (in my case the dealership). I apologise if you read this, are clued up on car purchasing and I have wasted your time.

I thoguht this was a discussion forum? For people to post their experiences? Talk about Renault Clio Sports?

I was never told (and have never said) they sold my car for £4700. That was my p/x value. I know they will have sold it at profit. Thats my arguement?!

Sorry if i have taken your comments the wrong way, i dont mean to come across as a "scare monger", "trouble maker" or whatever you want to call it.

I just posted my experiences, thats it.

Many Thanks

Chelsea tractor

1979 ;)

This should help the layman: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

NTH,

I posted on here when i got back from the garage (heat of the moment maybe? Probably)

My MAIN aim was to make people aware of when things can go bad if you place trust in somebodys word (in my case the dealership). I apologise if you read this, are clued up on car purchasing and I have wasted your time.

I thoguht this was a discussion forum? For people to post their experiences? Talk about Renault Clio Sports?

I was never told (and have never said) they sold my car for £4700. That was my p/x value. I know they will have sold it at profit. Thats my arguement?!

Sorry if i have taken your comments the wrong way, i dont mean to come across as a "scare monger", "trouble maker" or whatever you want to call it.

I just posted my experiences, thats it.

Many Thanks
by the way you posted was as if you sought some sort of recourse since you asked if anyone could offer advice, which is probably why alot of opinions have been thrown in...

as far as it goes, you've been sold a crashed/repaired car, the px value was significantly lower to what you couldv sold it for and whats it being advertised for, you are aware of this and now saying that you probably wont do anything. others probably would but thats them, not having a go at all...

thanks for letting us know though:)

Black R27, 205gti
by the way you posted was as if you sought some sort of recourse since you asked if anyone could offer advice, which is probably why alot of opinions have been thrown in...

as far as it goes, you've been sold a crashed/repaired car, the px value was significantly lower to what you couldv sold it for and whats it being advertised for, you are aware of this and now saying that you probably wont do anything. others probably would but thats them, not having a go at all...

thanks for letting us know though:)

You know when your frustrated with something, and you feel the need to express those feelings with other people with similar interests as your (i.e Clio Sports), well thats why I posted.

I posted here to start a conversation on the subject, whether i would take it further or not probably depends on the outcome of speaking to like-minded people.

Most people have said "is it really worth it for £x amount?" The more i think about it, the less i can be arsed to pursue. I will put it down to experience. I hope my experience can help (if just 1 single person) from going through the same situation as me, if thats the case this thread will be worth it for me.

Hope we are cool.

Crappy work hire car
My rights lay with the Credit Provider, so its SOGA 1973 (as amended)

SOGA is 1979 as amended, not 73, and sections 12-15 provide your consumer rights stating that goods must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality etc etc, so your rights are against the person providing those goods, i.e. the garage. The credit agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, not SOGA.
I would get the invoice for the sale of your old car and demand the full £4700. At the very least get a high street solicitor to write them a strongly worded letter on the solicitor's letterheaded paper to scare them a bit.
Or, if you prefer, chalk it up to experience and move on as it could potentially be a lot of aggro you don't need.

Black R27, 205gti
SOGA is 1979 as amended, not 73, and sections 12-15 provide your consumer rights stating that goods must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality etc etc, so your rights are against the person providing those goods, i.e. the garage. The credit agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, not SOGA.
I would get the invoice for the sale of your old car and demand the full £4700. At the very least get a high street solicitor to write them a strongly worded letter on the solicitor's letterheaded paper to scare them a bit.
Or, if you prefer, chalk it up to experience and move on as it could potentially be a lot of aggro you don't need.

Wise words, thank you pal. Sorry if i miss quote the SOGA, i initially got my info from here.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/supply_goods_act/

You know when your frustrated with something, and you feel the need to express those feelings with other people with similar interests as your (i.e Clio Sports), well thats why I posted.

I posted here to start a conversation on the subject, whether i would take it further or not probably depends on the outcome of speaking to like-minded people.

Most people have said "is it really worth it for £x amount?" The more i think about it, the less i can be arsed to pursue. I will put it down to experience. I hope my experience can help (if just 1 single person) from going through the same situation as me, if thats the case this thread will be worth it for me.

Hope we are cool.
this sort of logic does no favours for anyone, going by the point you made about hoping the garage doesnt do it again etc (regardless of it being intentional) if this is how you feel then what would stop them from doing it again?
they may even continue to do this if they know that alot of people wont be bothered, if perhaps you went to court etc and you happened to win, then the chances of this sort of event occuring would be minimized.

Black R27, 205gti
this sort of logic does no favours for anyone, going by the point you made about hoping the garage doesnt do it again etc (regardless of it being intentional) if this is how you feel then what would stop them from doing it again?
they may even continue to do this if they know that alot of people wont be bothered, if perhaps you went to court etc and you happened to win, then the chances of this sort of event occuring would be minimized.

I doubt this would happen again at the garage in question. They seemed as shocked as I was, and i'm sure they will up there PDI check on this basis. They could have made it more difficult in me returning the car (i.e draging it through legal channels etc..) so for that i can count myself lucky.

The only reason i would take this further is to pursue the extra monies i have lost due to this unfortunate situation.

On the upside, my 205 gti gets put through MOT and back as everyday car :)

Crappy work hire car
Wise words, thank you pal. Sorry if i miss quote the SOGA, i initially got my info from here.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/supply_goods_act/

No worries mate, I wasn't being pedantic about the date it just won't do you any favours to look at out of date laws! CAB will give you free advice so it can't hurt to ask them, but a letter from them won't be as threatening to the garage as a strongly worded solicitors letter. The letter shouldn't cost you too much either if you go to a small firm. Good luck if you decide to do it :)