ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cutting down standard springs

has anyone ever done this? i think someone said you can do it so you get to be a little lower but keep the same handling/comfort level.

1.2 Dynamique
I suppose it could be done but I'd never do it or risk it as it just seems a Very Pikey way of Lowering

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
How much you thinking of taking off??

My Friend put some of those Spring Compressor things on his Civic's Springs and that lowered it alot but destroyed the ride.

How much you thinking of taking off??

My Friend put some of those Spring Compressor things on his Civic's Springs and that lowered it alot but destroyed the ride.
around 40mm tbh

probably end up getting sportlines when i get a few more pennies

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Cutting that much off would cause major problems I'd have thought

1.2 8v 60bhp
This is in Northern Ireland at the moment, were everyone just takes the grinder to their springs. A mobile psv unit of mot unit is being used, the police jack your car up, you have cut springs? and your car is away to the crusher
Dont do it, renault spent millions of pounds designing the clio, and probobly a lot of money designing the suspension, i dont think cutting them came into the manufacturing quality, oh and standard springs are soft, lowered ones are soft

Celica and Raptor.
I wouldnt bother tbh Mate, Its a bit dangrous.
Best just to spend a little bit of money and do it probley.

Good Luck Mate.

RB 182 Cup
you do realise when you cut the spring down the rates are higher giving it a hard ride still. It wont be nothing like standard suspension, the same as lowering springs

Mondeo TDCI 130
Dangerous tbh, years ago a mate chopped the springs on an orion, and they fell out of the struts when he went over a little bridge!

haha i know it's a stupid idea and more than likely dangerous, not sure why i posted this thread now tbh :(

ZX6R B1H
lmfbo...

I did a euro nova and as the wheels were et25 and i was working the shell around the wheels i cut my springs pretty much in half to see if it caught anywhere and judging how low i could go before i splashed out on coilovers.... I ran it for a little while like this and i seriously never encountered a problem whatso ever... This was a 1.0 nova mind pmsl. Only thing is when you jack the car up pmsl, spings fall out all over the place. I certainly would not reccommend this at all. I actually bought coilovers and lowered it even more and the handeling was even worse so sold up and got a williams pmsl :D Show cars FTL

1.5dci
dude thats crazyyyyy , cut springs are ok ish . but u loose ride height , just splash the 130£ on eibach sports , that way u think 130£ in the short run saves u a ***k load more if u ruin your ride =] but yea , do it haha

172 & RSi
dude thats crazyyyyy , cut springs are ok ish . but u loose ride height , just splash the 130£ on eibach sports , that way u think 130£ in the short run saves u a ***k load more if u ruin your ride =] but yea , do it haha

Come again...

Trust me on this one, if you cut springs down you'll have a harsher ride than any apex springs. Plus the fact the front end of your car will "bounce" around every corner in sight.

Cut springs can mean no mot and if your involved in a crash can mean no nsurance as its not road worthy

Black 172 ph2
You can't even cut the rear springs as they are pig tailed!!!!

Just spend some money on lowering springs you cheap skate!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
dont cut them down ! remove them and replace the damper with a solid bar of the correct length. who needs springs !