ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting polish?

I currently use a basic halfords electric car polisher (some of us can't justify the £100 pc - but that may be a forthcoming item as I'm really starting to enjoy car detailing) and the items I have are:

Clay bar
Meguiars gold class shampoo
Klasse AIO polish
Meguiars #21 sealant

I clay different panels each time I do the car as it's something that appears to take quite a bit of time. I then dry over with a microfibre cloth and apply the AIO on the hellfrauds machine and spend a reasonable time on each panel. Thereafter I apply the #21 by hand and buff off by hand.

I'm really pleased, even with this basic kit so far.

The Klasse is really easy to work with and work in but it doesn't appear to buff out the fine cobwebs or "cut" into the paint at all. I don't want to use scratch x as there aren't any massive scratches and I think another polish, before using AIO and sealant would be a good thing.

So my question is, please recommend me a reasonable cutting polish to use before the AIO and sealant.

Thanks.

106 GTi
Working by hand or a using a low powered buffer, I would not really risk anything other than Meguiars Scratch X.

It is a safe product and even with lots of elbow grease you will struggle to remove all the cobwebs anyway.

There are lots of decent swirl removers and compounds out there for machine use, but the buffer you have will not have the power to break them down and you will install more fine marks in use than your actually taking out. Scratch X breaks down by hand to a mild finishing polish so this will not happen.

You could always look into a Glaze type product instead of the AIO to hide and fill them.

AIO is a chemaical cleaner with no cut, AG SRP does the same job with a mild cut so again maybe a better option.

So basically the answer is "no", lol!

So if I use something like AG SRP and try to cut into the paint before using the AIO, I need to do it by hand to actually break it down?

On this basis, is it actually worth using the polisher with the AIO?

Perhaps I'm being daft but I seem to get a reasonable result on the sprint blue colour doing what I've done so far. It sounds like I may have to shell out on a PC then in that case if I really want a decent finish.

106 GTi
The buffer you have is only of any use to apply and remove waxes, You own hand power will be greater when polishing.

SRP is so mild it just needs to be applied and wiped off, does not need working till its gone, like the Scratch X would.

The AIO will be fine by it at a guess as it is just apply and wipe off, just saves your arm a little!

You car will look great with the above steps. But the next step to remove the swirls etc is very hard and I would have to say impossible without a machine polish to get it looking 100%. The PC is the minimum of what you need to do any form of paint correction. The machine you have just will not have the power.

Shame, as I'm really starting to enjoy making cars look that much better than "just a wash". Even with the minimal products I have there is a big difference to me - my mother's A4 Avant looked ten times better after a morning spent going over it.

So next question is whether the £150 odd for the PC, pads and whatever else I'd need for a basic polisher, would be worth the "investment"? Am I really going to see that much of a difference given that I'm a real amateur when it comes to things like this?

106 GTi
Do a few cars and it will soon pay for itself IMO.

You will with a PC remove those marks that you wont by hand, and judging by your post are bugging you.

Even when not doing paint correction mild polishes, glazes and sealants all work so will by PC.

AG SRP is a great product by machine for example. Sealants can be applied very very thinnly with it.

If you dont think this will benifit you I would save the cash and get someone off Detailing World or here to PC it for you.

106 GTi
al said:
Does PC'ing remove or at least go some way to hiding fine stone chips?

Not really no, unless they are really really really light ones. Good for going over touched up and wet sanded ones though.

It does bug me yes! The car looks good and with each polish gets easier to clean and looks better but I can still see the marks and to be honest, my tungsten valver (the sprint blue punto hgt is the girlfriends) really could do with cutting the paint and polishing "properly".

I wouldn't want someone else to pc it - half the enjoyment I get is knowing that the several hours have been spent well and the finished product is perfect (or perfect in my eyes anyway!). Getting someone else to do it, for me, defeats part of the point.

106 GTi
Best get that PC then chap!

Sounds to me a worth while investment reading your last post

Thank you for your help and advice - really appreciated. Just have to sit down and work out what a PC and all the bits to get started (and what exactly I need) will cost me!

106 GTi
No probs.

PM Shaun 182_Blue for the latest discount codes as he always seems to have them.

Don't forget the 4 inch spot pad set it is a must on the Clio and other small cars IMO.