ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV joint gone.... new driveshaft???

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
My N/S cv joint has gone today:dapprove:. I have knocking under load turning left, it makes the car judder as I turn and a little under acceleration.

Had a look and the gaitor has thrown its grease onto the inside of the wheel.

I have a question...

The car is a ph2 2003 172 and its the passenger side that has gone. Can I replace the CV joint on its own?

Cheers guys

Dan

ITB'd MK1
new shaft time. Genuine only. However renault are supplying reconditioned shafts again now so they're just under £150 rather than £250

Clio 172 cup
You can replace the cv joint but it would be far far easier just to fit a second hand shaft and it would probably be cheaper

Unfortunately with it being the passenger side shaft you will have to drain the gearbox of all it's oil first before removing the shaft

Clio 172 cup
People sell second hand shafts on here for £30-£50 so ask people who are breaking there cars in the classifieds section

ITB'd MK1
You can replace the cv joint but it would be far far easier just to fit a second hand shaft and it would probably be cheaper

Unfortunately with it being the passenger side shaft you will have to drain the gearbox of all it's oil first before removing the shaft

No, you can't

they're not available as a separate part. The only company that did them went under last year.
Complete shaft from Renault. ONLY

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Thanks for the replies all. Looks like i'll have to bite the bullet on this one! Going to give renault a call. Was also thinking of second hand from the likes of cliospares or would you reckon it's safer going for the new/recon part from renault?

As for the gearbox oil, what would you recommend to put in?

Clio 172 cup
Oh right, I knew someone who had a replacement joint a few years ago but the cost wasn't much less than a new shaft.

But correct a new shaft is Renault only but u would have to be retarded to pay 150-200 quid for a brand new shaft when you can get a perfectly good second hand unit off someone on here for around £40

ITB'd MK1
Oh right, I knew someone who had a replacement joint a few years ago but the cost wasn't much less than a new shaft.

But correct a new shaft is Renault only but u would have to be retarded to pay 150-200 quid for a brand new shaft when you can get a perfectly good second hand unit off someone on here for around £40

yes, i've fitted plenty of used shafts. Normally to the same cars, over and again until they buy a new one. Used parts will always have a much more limited life

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
yes, i've fitted plenty of used shafts. Normally to the same cars, over and again until they buy a new one. Used parts will always have a much more limited life

Yes this is my worry. I could save well over £100 by skimping on the new parts but will it be worth it in the long run!!?? Hm, just didn't need to be spending another £250 on the car at the moment!

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Gone ahead and bought a replacement from cliospares. I just can't afford renaults prices at the moment, car has only just come out of the bodyshop to repair my bonnet.. oh and the four new tyres. Been an expensive year so far for the clio.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd have no issues with fitting second hand driveshafts to my own car, as long as they're in good nick..

Clio 172 + Clio182
i had both cv joints go on my 172 so 2 new drive shafts was needed, only thing was drivers side shaft is slightly different had a ball joint on or something got both+ fitting £270 garage wanted 380 renult wanted 500+ !!