ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D shaped Steering wheel

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hi guys ,
Hot pot idea.
Is it technically possible to have someone produce a smaller diameter steering wheel that uses the factory airbag and Oe connections?

I know from the Subaru world that www.damd.co.jp manufacture aftermarket D shaped OE style steering wheels. I’d like to entertain the idea of a similar product for the Renault market. Ie. Cad up a design and get an aluminum structure then have a moulded center for the airbag and have a retrimmer finish it off?

Clio 197
Is the 197 steering wheel smaller than the 1*2 ones? I only ask as I had a guy on ebay who does custom steering wheels reshape a 197 one for my car so it's flat from the bottom and has a slightly different shape on the sides. Could be a possible alternative.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
M
Is the 197 steering wheel smaller than the 1*2 ones? I only ask as I had a guy on ebay who does custom steering wheels reshape a 197 one for my car so it's flat from the bottom and has a slightly different shape on the sides. Could be a possible alternative.
I have measured them up against each other and believe it or not they are the exact same diameter.

More thigh to steering wheel room as the bottom of the steering wheel is flat.
But then when you steer that room disappears surely?

IMO the best thing I did was buy a smaller omp wheel and snap off boss.

More enjoyable to drive, better lighter wheel and it comes off if I need

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The appeal is for those who would want to retain the factory airbag, as opposed to the an OMP where there is no airbag which is fine for a track car with harnesses etc.

Benefit more so in the smaller diameter wheel, which alleviates the issue of a turning steering wheel with a flat bottom anyway, makes it a moot point.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Some guy off Edition38 did it on his brand new F56 Cooper S. He sent it to some fella in Latvia who retrimmed it and added a flat bottom.

99B8D133-AF32-488C-97F3-5B9EE55EF699.png
65BC11DC-303C-4A68-A3B8-1AB5B559FABE.png